Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So where do these vacuum tubes that connect to the PES connect to your car? I am unclear about that. It looks like this thing intercepts the TMAP signal (manifold pressure) and attempts to control boost itself.

There should be a vacuum routing diagram on the underside of the hood. Make sure everything is hooked up right.

The vacuum pump has two tubes that connect it to each of two vacuum canisters behind the passenger headlamp. Each canister then connects to each boost solenoid on the passenger side of the head. The outputs of the solenoids are connected together and to the waste gates.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That little cover that the installation instructions say to remove from the boost solenoid is part of the assembly. Your best bet would be if someone with a used/junk one could pull the cover off and look under it to see how it interacts with that nipple. Hopefully you don't have to replace both of them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So this is what I'm talking about. The part itself comes with the black cover as part of the assembly as georgelb stated.

Click here to enlarge

the corresponding 3 in the pic of my car is where the cap was removed and replaced with a line going to the PES box. Since the PES box is not in the car any more I need to know what to do with this nipple.

After doing some searching it seems the noise I was hearing yesterday after completely sealing the nipples is the solenoid failing. It's a pretty distinct sound and I found another thread where someone had the same noise on their 135i and the dealer replaced a faulty pressure converter. I didn't get the noise today and I'm hoping it was a temp thing due to me running hard with the nipples sealed. Not sure I want to order new ones yet...so far I'm in $60 for an ignition coil and $150 for an injector I didn't need. I'm not a huge fan of ordering parts I don't need but at least I'll have spares?

If anyone DOES happen to have one of these lying around, could you pop the cap off and post up if there's clearance between the nipple and the cap? Thanks for the help/suggestions guys and I'll update if/when I figure it out.
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see. So those two lines off the PES box connect to each solenoid in the same way?

I bet that little box on the solenoid is a filter. It allows atmospheric pressure to enter the wastegate lines and actuators once the solenoid turns off and vacuum is no longer applied to the waste gates.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I see. So those two lines off the PES box connect to each solenoid in the same way?

I bet that little box on the solenoid is a filter. It allows atmospheric pressure to enter the wastegate lines and actuators once the solenoid turns off and vacuum is no longer applied to the waste gates.
    Yes, each solenoid is identical and the lines are attached the same way.

I think you may be right. My assumption is that the hood is there to allow atmospheric pressure into the system while keeping debris out.
    COME AT ME BRO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12