Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What? Another Misfire Thread?! yeah...sad panda

I know this is not an isolated issue, I know the standard fixes, and I know the usual issues...that being said, here's what I've got.

I've had the car since Jan 2013. About 6 weeks ago I got my first misfire - single cylinder, cylinder 5. Immediately jumped on here and did my research, changed out all my plugs, got a new ignition coil, ordered a fuel injector since I've got the 261 injectors and, in the event it IS the injector, I'm not shelling out the 2k my dealer wants to change to the new ones. Now, instead of replacing said parts (I ordered them because I wanted them on hand in case I needed to change them), I moved cylinder 5 coil to cylinder 1 and moved the cylinder 5 injector to cylinder 2. Took her out for a few runs and couldn't replicate the misfire. Also ran 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner on my last 2 tanks of gas (93). COBB comes in today, run stage 1 aggressive, do a couple pulls and now I'm getting cylinder 5 misfire again. Honestly, the first run came up with cylinder 4, cylinder 5, and the multiple misfire code. I cleared them, ran again, and I've induced the fault 2 more times since then - both cylinder 5. My question is: If I've moved the cylinder 5 coil and injector and the fault did not follow either of those parts, and I've changed all the spark plugs, what else is there to consider?

Sorry if this seems a little hastily written but I've got company over and I'm being yelled at for being on the computer lol. I tried to record some data but I need to do a little more research...apparently I did it wrong and didn't actually record any data. Any help/suggestions would be freaking AWESOME since the car feels amazing...up until the point that it misfires and craps out on me :-(

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mekong84 Click here to enlarge
    Sorry if this seems a little hastily written but I've got company over and I'm being yelled at for being on the computer
    Tell them to STFU cuz your misfiring.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    LOL. Maaa! Meatloaf!!! I'm $#@!ing misfiring here!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    LOL. Maaa! Meatloaf!!! I'm $#@!ing misfiring here!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Ok ill give you actual advice.

The Coil that you swapped from 1 to 5. Went out.

Once one starts going they will usually all follow suit, especially if you raise the boost with a more aggressive map.

All Plugs > The one bad Coil > The one bad Injector.

Do them one at a time. You can always change all the coils but thats very $$$.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    The Coil that you swapped from 1 to 5. Went out.
    I'm not completely sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that coil 5 was never bad and when I swapped it with coil 1 I induced a failure of the coil that is now in cylinder 5? If there was a bad part, the fault would have followed it to the new cylinder. If what you're saying is true, wouldn't you expect to get cylinder 5 AND either 1 or 2 (coil or injector, respectively)? It's just strange that the fault stayed with the cylinder and not with the parts that I moved...

It only happens under load and it doesn't immediately throw the misfire code. It feels like the car hesitates once I hit full boost...if I let off the throttle as I feel it choke up I never get a code. If I keep my foot on the accelerator and push through the hesitation, I eventually hear some awful noise from the engine bay and then misfire code followed by terrible, rough driving until the code is cleared.

I'm leaning more towards the computer reading some conditions that are only present under load, trying to compensate, failing, and misfiring. A data log would be awesome right now but once again, I THOUGHT I was recording data only to plug the AP into my computer and get no logs. When I go to the "data log" menu on the COBB and I hit OK to start logging, is there another step I'm missing to actually record data?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not completely sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that coil 5 was never bad and when I swapped it with coil 1 I induced a failure of the coil that is now in cylinder 5? If there was a bad part, the fault would have followed it to the new cylinder. If what you're saying is true, wouldn't you expect to get cylinder 5 AND either 1 or 2 (coil or injector, respectively)? It's just strange that the fault stayed with the cylinder and not with the parts that I moved...

It only happens under load and it doesn't immediately throw the misfire code. It feels like the car hesitates once I hit full boost...if I let off the throttle as I feel it choke up I never get a code. If I keep my foot on the accelerator and push through the hesitation, I eventually hear some awful noise from the engine bay and then misfire code followed by terrible, rough driving until the code is cleared.

I'm leaning more towards the computer reading some conditions that are only present under load, trying to compensate, failing, and misfiring. A data log would be awesome right now but once again, I THOUGHT I was recording data only to plug the AP into my computer and get no logs. When I go to the "data log" menu on the COBB and I hit OK to start logging, is there another step I'm missing to actually record data?
    Im saying that you have multiple bad coils and they will fail one by one.

Just because you swapped it to another cylinder and it stopped misfiring doesn't mean its not having trouble keeping up, that coil pack is slowly dying. I have had coils misfire sporadically only under high load for weeks until they finally will "go out" and cause a constant misfire.

I would buy (online not at your local bmw dealer, they will gouge out your ass for them) a complete set of new coil-packs and change the ones that you where having trouble with. 1 and 5. You will probably get a misfire in 2-3-4-6 shortly, but you will have packs to change accordingly.

If that doens't work you can always send them back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So...anyone heard of PES Tuning? I never have...and look what I found under my hood today!Click here to enlarge

I tried to do some searching and all I could find was that this thing cost like $1500 back in the day and.....that's about it lol. I'm not 100% sure how to get rid of this thing either...pretty sure I figured out where the spliced wire was supposed to go in the harness so I can remove the splice and reinstall the wire in the harness but the vacuum lines that go into the PES box...any idea where they're supposed to go when they're not plugged into the box? Here's a pic of what I believe is the wastegate solenoid and the line in question. I can't find any installation instructions for this thing so I'm not sure where these lines should go. Click here to enlarge

What I DID manage to do was remove the ground cable and cap it so whatever this box was trying to do, it can't do any more. I went and did a couple quick pulls...low rpm/high load (the same condition that would induce the hesitation then misfire before) and NO MORE MISFIRES! Car is smooth and feels fantastic now! I'm just concerned about these vacuum lines...maybe I could stand to do a little more research on how these things work but I'm worried these lines have something to do with boost pressure control; I don't want to over boost and break anything. My next step, I think, would be to take her out with the COBB plugged in and watch the boost levels.

Wachoo thank?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So...anyone heard of PES Tuning?
    Yes just not with the N54. Where the hell did that come from?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Apparently been in the car this whole time...I spoke with the service department of the dealer that serviced the car for the previous owner and I was told that there was a cylinder 5 misfire back in August 2011 and that the injector was replaced. She also told me there was a note from the tech that said no further diagnostic service would be provided under warranty since there was a tune on the car. Had NO idea when I bought it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Apparently been in the car this whole time...I spoke with the service department of the dealer that serviced the car for the previous owner and I was told that there was a cylinder 5 misfire back in August 2011 and that the injector was replaced. She also told me there was a note from the tech that said no further diagnostic service would be provided under warranty since there was a tune on the car. Had NO idea when I bought it.
    Sucks but at least you found it. Heh, first time I've seen this module from PES.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

They no longer show anything on their website for the 135/335 but there's a video of a dyno back in 2008 on youtube and PES Tuning takes credit for it in the comments section. Back in the dark ages of the development of this car, where I guess everybody and their grandmother turned up the boost and became a N54 tuner.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's a shill post if I ever did see one.

@OP, I'd be slapping the crap out of the dealership if it was a BMW one and complaining to BMW NA over them selling you a car that was modified.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah the only info I could find was dated 2007/2008...seemed pretty sketchy to me when I couldn't find much info on the company's website.

@luckystrike I definitely saw that post...was one of the only things I COULD find lol

@135Hoser I didn't get the car from a "legit" BMW dealer so I guess lesson learned. Don't get me wrong, the car was in immaculate condition and test drove fine (of course I didn't really DRIVE it...won't make that mistake again), the place I got it from specializes in high end cars and has a really good rep around town. Figured it was good to go..but these guys are salesman and certainly aren't poking around in the closed boxes under the hood.

At least it was this...definitely a load off knowing that its not anything more serious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    Back in the dark ages of the development of this car
    That's a good way to put it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no shill here. i dont know $#@! about pes either. it was a post that outlined the function of the pes device that is all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by luckystrike Click here to enlarge
    no shill here. i dont know $#@! about pes either. it was a post that outlined the function of the pes device that is all.
    And were you the OP of that review? If not, then correct you are not a shill.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey so for those of you still looking at this thread: in the picture I posted with the red circle around the vacuum line that was going to the PES box...does anybody know if that line is supposed to vent to atmosphere or be capped? It's covered from the factory and the description of how to install the PES calls the part that you have to remove a "hood" so I'm just not sure if its supposed to be completely capped or if the hood leaves a small space between it and the nipple and just hangs down to prevent debris from getting inside. I've just searched pretty much all of the internet and I can't find any specific info on this. A new solenoid has that third nipple capped but, without having one in my hands, I can't be sure that nipple is totally closed off or if there's a gap between it and the black piece covering it. Anyone have any info at all??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The dreaded cylinder 5 misfire. Doesn't sound too good, honestly. Piggyback + cylinder 5 misfire and automatic transmission (rules out flywheel to be at fault) could be engine damage.

Do a compression test first...and did you code the injectors in the ECU after swapping them out between cylinders ? They need to be coded !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    The dreaded cylinder 5 misfire. Doesn't sound too good, honestly. Piggyback + cylinder 5 misfire and automatic transmission (rules out flywheel to be at fault) could be engine damage.

Do a compression test first...and did you code the injectors in the ECU after swapping them out between cylinders ? They need to be coded !
    You watch your tongue! lol its a MT, btw. I had the dealer code the injectors...they did that while it was in the shop for the battery cable recall this weekend.

Also, with this box out of the car she runs perfectly now. I'm just trying to figure out what the "extra" vacuum line on the wastegate solenoid is for and if i should close it off completely. I did a quick run yesterday with the lines open and I don't seem to be over boosting but I am peaking a little high I think. I'm gonna try and get some more info today and maybe just trial-and-error this to figure it out.

Again, anyone got ANY info on this? would be pretty tight bh if you shared...
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You watch your tongue! lol its a MT, btw. I had the dealer code the injectors...they did that while it was in the shop for the battery cable recall this weekend.

Also, with this box out of the car she runs perfectly now. I'm just trying to figure out what the "extra" vacuum line on the wastegate solenoid is for and if i should close it off completely. I did a quick run yesterday with the lines open and I don't seem to be over boosting but I am peaking a little high I think. I'm gonna try and get some more info today and maybe just trial-and-error this to figure it out.

Again, anyone got ANY info on this? would be pretty tight bh if you shared...
    Almost all the cars with misfires run fine at stock boost levels. The problems appear at like 13-15psi.
    Could also be the flywheel, if your car has manual transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been having cylinder 5 misfires I haven't been able to solve for months either... Have you confirmed that pulling out the PES fixed it? Have you ran the cobb and gotten no misfires?
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No im not the OP of the linked thread. Like i said i have no knowledge of the pes device.

i looked at my car and there is a cover where your vacuum line attaches and there is no signal line going anywhere. i couldnt pull the cover off so im not sure if its a vent to atmosphere or if its actually capped. Ill look again in the morning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psmith95 Click here to enlarge
    I've been having cylinder 5 misfires I haven't been able to solve for months either... Have you confirmed that pulling out the PES fixed it? Have you ran the cobb and gotten no misfires?
    Yes, pulling the PES fixed my cylinder 5 misfire issue. I was only getting the misfire under heavy load and I'm assuming that the PES was messing with boost control and I would misfire. After I yanked that thing out that particular misfire went away and the car runs much smoother now. HOWEVER, I have been occasionally getting random misfires on cold startup. Yesterday was 2, 3, and random misfire codes. A couple days before that it was 4, 5, and random misfire. Not sure what exactly is causing that and it doesn't happen every time - this morning was fine - but I'm going through piece by piece to figure it out. Once i clear the codes the car runs fine so it seems intermittent/only on cold startup.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by luckystrike Click here to enlarge
    No im not the OP of the linked thread. Like i said i have no knowledge of the pes device.

i looked at my car and there is a cover where your vacuum line attaches and there is no signal line going anywhere. i couldnt pull the cover off so im not sure if its a vent to atmosphere or if its actually capped. Ill look again in the morning.
    Thanks for looking and any info you find when you look again would be AWESOME. I ran with the lines open and got some inconsistent boost...seems like I'd hit a bit of boost around 4k rpm, then again at like 5500. Very strange. I tried capping those lines completely and that was NOT a good idea. Overshot boost levels by...a good bit. Requested boost spiked around 30psi (abs) maybe but actual boost hit the limit (37psi abs i think) and shut down/limp mode. Cleared the code and popped the hood and all kinds of terrible noises were coming from there. I took a couple vids of the noises and I'll see if I can post them later. Loud humming sound from the solenoids and a rattling sound coming from somewhere on the turbo side of the engine. So these lines either need to be wide open (as they currently are on my car now) or they need to have SOME gap between the top of the nipple and that hood that's covering it. I may order 2 new ones just to be safe...I can't be completely sure what those lines are for but I CAN be fairly certain that with them completely plugged, wastegates do not open properly.
    COME AT ME BRO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast