Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Engine stall after WOT

This has happened twice this week right after WOT.

Car: 2010 335i MT. FBO +meth w/Procede 9-10 maps. Running map 4, meth flowing, traction control on.

Situation: Hard WOT pulls from 3k in second, shift into third WOT again to the top of third, run out of road, clutch in hard on brakes.

Itís a very calm quiet stall. First time I noticed it because the steering got heavy, second time I saw the RPMs were at 0. No codes. Both times I tried to restart with the start button while coasting and it just long cranked. Have to stop and cycle ignition to get it to start again.

Iím quite certain that I'm clutch in, brake hard, pull shifter into neutral and coast for a bit with the clutch still in. Could it be just how fast Iím off throttle? Maybe the meth in the charge pipe is just enough to kill the spark? I do need to turn off code clearing and see if it happens again. Last logs were a few weeks ago and they were fine. Past WOT runs Iím sure that Iíve let off the throttle a few seconds before clutching and braking. Iíve done my share of WOT pulls from 2nd through the top of 5th and never had issues like this.
    Found some other posts about stalling and they were either during the stop approaching a light or during the WOT with CEL and codes.

Found some other posts about stalling and they were either during the stop approaching a light or during the WOT with CEL and codes.

Any ideas?

~Nate

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Freak occurrence? I don't know, try without meth maybe?

Bump

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Need to see if you can repeat and get some codes.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Meth was my first thought but I would think anything in the charge pipe would be evacuated through the diverter valves when you let off. Try it a few more times if you can repeating and changing things up, without meth. I know you probably weren't thinking of all the options but maybe try just letting back off the clutch to try to restart it instead of using the start button.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for the input guys! There are lots of hits for searches with stall that are misfire or bad running problems, my car runs great. Will for sure try to repeat, might be lucky and be able to log it too.

@brusk, I realized as I was posting this that I could have just let the clutch out to restart. Embarrassed...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Get some logs + check for fault codes = more accurate diagnosis
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just as I suspected...

Here is a log of the stall. 3rd into 4th, WOT, traction control off. You can see that meth takes a half second longer to shut off. I'm content that its whats causing the engine to die. There were no codes either. I don't have a log but I did the exact same pull but waited a second to push the clutch in and the engine didn't die. Engine started up no problem by just letting the clutch out. Thanks all for looking.

~Nate
    Click here to enlarge