Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Holy Shi7. The N20 is an AMAZING engine. I am still SHOCKED that I didn't realize I was driving a 2.0l 4 cylinder.

As the title says, all I can say is WOW. I dropped my M3 off for service today (and some other minor things), and they gave me an X1 to take home. I always liked the X1, and was hoping it was the 3.0 liter turbo - but as I was walking up, noticed the xDrive28i symbol. I though this was just the 3.0L NA I6 engine that I have driven before.

The first thing I noticed was that the car had a TON of torque. I attributed this to the 8 speed transmission, and drove the rest of the way home from the dealership in stop and go traffic (not sure I like auto start/stop btw). Anywho, I had a business meeting after work - and since it was well past rush hour, finally got to drive it spiritedly down LSD (our main/8 lane road along the lake). I was shocked that this iteration (thinking at the time it was the N53 [I really haven't kept up with the non-S engines to be honest]) of the motor gained so much power. It really felt quick - especially considering it was an SUV.

I kept telling myself that the badge wasn't right - and that it was instead the N55 or something, but sometimes it just didn't feel powerful enough to have 300 HP - then other times, I felt it did. I kept going back and forth, not knowing what the hell was powering this thing. A N53, N55 - and didn't even CONSIDER a 4-cylinder N20. I did notice on the highway, that I could mash the pedal down all the way - and lift off again very quickly without any response from the engine (a la N54/N55). I then had no idea - it had to be turbocharged, but just didn't feel right as an N55. This is getting too winded... Click here to enlarge

Pulling into my garage, I was in 2nd (from a stop - up a hill to my spot) - and gave it about half throttle - and heard the turbo whistle. I popped the hood, and there it was. A 4-cylinder; I swear to God this thing didn't feel rough. It wasn't as silky smooth as a I6, but it was DAMN close. At high RPMs, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

As far as power goes - for the MPG this thing gets, this engine would be something I would recommend to ANYONE buying this car. Yes, the N55 has a bit more torque, and a bit more power - but to be honest, this is so close, I doubt most people would notice. Oh, and the trip computer says I still have 400 miles left in the tank. I am literally so giddy over this - I think that little engine is so awesome now - with a tune, it would probably crush the N55 stock.

I am not talking sports cars here, but normal everyday cars. This thing really kicks ass - I am telling you. If you are buying an X1 or X3 (not sure if you can get the N20 with X3) - definitely check the 4-cylinder out... For the benefits - and the minor power difference, you would have to be crazy to get the 3.0 turbo IMO. It's THAT GOOD.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been recommending the N20 to all the girls I know who are less interested in power but still want a BMW that can move. N20 in a 3 series is sex.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just cant get over how ugly the 3 series looks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's one of the best four-cyliders in the world right now. Hence why it won its second consecutive engine of the year award. The Mercedes M133 though is even better.

One of the statements a judge made about the N20, "Someday someone will engineer a better 2.0 liter turbo than BMW's but I'm not going to hold my breath."
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    We just had one as well, and that car is extremely strong and very easy to drive. I loved the torque on that thing, and I thought if the new M3 will have more torque then this, I maybe very tempted to trade in. The N20 rocks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kiloil Click here to enlarge
    We just had one as well, and that car is extremely strong and very easy to drive. I loved the torque on that thing, and I thought if the new M3 will have more torque then this, I maybe very tempted to trade in. The N20 rocks.
    It will and everyone will want the new m....

I just got my wife a x3 xdrive with a n20, I can't wait till the engine breaks in!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is a clear case of a guy who does not drive his m3 properly or atleast drive it to extract its power. You likely have never driven keeping the rpms above 6k for more than a second have you? I drove the 328 n20 engine and it was a total dog compared to my m3 with a tune and catless. The power or torque put to the ground is WAY higher with the m3 and it felt like a turtle. You are clealry more suited for a low end torque grunter and will be happy with the new m3 for sure.

For a 4 cylinder it IS an awesome engine but the fact someone with an s65 engine is commenting on it feeling like it has torque mean he has felt the wheel torque of the m3. Perception doesnt lie and it would not feel torquey otherwise

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    It will and everyone will want the new m....

I just got my wife a x3 xdrive with a n20, I can't wait till the engine breaks in!
    It's not a function of it being better it's a function of it coming after the E92. So of course it has to be faster. It won't be a better car what determines that is not torque.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The N20 is an awesome 2.0 liter four cylinder, that's it. I love it though I love that BMW is challenging in this area but Mercedes already topped it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's not a function of it being better it's a function of it coming after the E92. So of course it has to be faster. It won't be a better car what determines that is not torque.
    Tq will be just one of many things that is better....that said, I wouldn't kick a e92 m3 out of my garage

I'm really digging my wife's x3, black on black....it's a nice vehicle
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Tq will be just one of many things that is better....that said, I wouldn't kick a e92 m3 out of my garage

I'm really digging my wife's x3, black on black....it's a nice vehicle
    The X3 is awesome and so is your wife. I think that motor is more suited for the X3 than an M3.

That said, you aren't looking for throttle response in a corner with an X3. The best motor for the F30 M3 would be a 4.6 liter S65 revving to 9k or a stroked S85 is BMW had balls.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let's hope the n20 doesn't get wg rattle...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I live in the city and rarely get to put more than 10 miles a day on it. With that said ,my car needs room to be able to rev it up over 6k without stopping to another damn stop light. This is my 3rd M3 and like it, but I will likely feel the same on the new M3.