Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    To actually contribute to the thread though. Solid results. Quick question for those in the know, how often are the "pushed" RB cars blowing turbos? At what level are the turbos realistically working too hard? Is it 500? What is the recommended safety zone for the RB turbos?
    When Jake tuned my VTT stage 2s for DD duty he set 60% WGDC as the limit he would go based on his RB experience. I'm running considerably less than that in the mids and hit it near redline so we stopped there. IMHO regardless of whatever hybrid turbo it is trying to run +500whp over a long period of time WILL kill them. It looks like 460-480whp is more within their comfort zone and still makes for a VERY fast and fun car.

Just my 2 cents and I truly hope this doesn't fuel any flame wars.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    When Jake tuned my car for DD duty he set 60% WGDC as the limit he would go based on his RB experience. I'm running considerably less than that in the mids and hit it near redline so we stopped there. IMHO regardless of whatever hybrid turbo it is trying to run +500whp over a long period of time WILL kill them. It looks like 460-480whp is more within their comfort zone and still makes for a VERY fast and fun car.

Just my 2 cents and I truly hope this doesn't fuel any flame wars.

Good info! 460-480whp is more than enough for me
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Good info! 460-480whp is more than enough for me
    Exactly. 460-480 is a good bit more than the stock turbos. Given the stock turbos have hit 469 rwhp, but how long will they last at that level?

That's what I hate about the glory runs. Not just talking about N54/N55 here but in general, you see glory runs. Glory runs mean absolutely nothing if in real world testing parts constantly break or parts are being pushed beyond their limits just to add that record in your sig. Talking in general here not to anyone specifically. Means absolutely nothing to me because it's not realistic. What's realistic is when everyone and their mother can install these parts, make equal power, and everyone has a true baseline to go off of.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I've found them to be fairly durable. Know of a couple customers who toasted them. A couple more who had smoking issues at idle after some time. I think D nuked a couple sets as well. My advice with them is to keep boost levels below 20psi tapering to 18psi. Maybe 19.5psi tapering to 17psi, for example, for a long life. I beat the crap out of mine and never had any issues with them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Exactly. 460-480 is a good bit more than the stock turbos. Given the stock turbos have hit 469 rwhp, but how long will they last at that level?

That's what I hate about the glory runs. Not just talking about N54/N55 here but in general, you see glory runs. Glory runs mean absolutely nothing if in real world testing parts constantly break or parts are being pushed beyond their limits just to add that record in your sig. Talking in general here not to anyone specifically. Means absolutely nothing to me because it's not realistic. What's realistic is when everyone and their mother can install these parts, make equal power, and everyone has a true baseline to go off of.
    +rep
    I've said it before and i'll say it again: stock turbo tuner glory runs on high reading dynos may sell tunes but they break hearts when people try to repeat them.

Not only that but they skew peoples perceptions. "Hell, stock turbos can make 470whp!!!" NO, they can't. At least not and last for more than a couple highway pulls on cool Saturday night.

Let's just be completely honest with ourselves. A stock turbo car running E85/meth on an aggressive but "safeish" tune WILL dyno around ~420whp on a average reading dyno and hybrids will make ~60whp more horsepower on comparatively safe tunes that should let the turbos last.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I can't say I agree with that. Stock turbo tuning is pretty good these days. Lots of cars are able to put down 440-450rw reliably and run 123mph+ traps with them. The stock turbos are solid. Options like the RBs and now the VTs offer more top end but come with their own potential reliability issues. It's a worthwhile trade off to make 500rw+ and run 127mph+ traps because you'll never touch those levels with stock turbos. But when you start to talk about running RBs at lower boost levels making 20-30rw over maxed stock turbos it begs the question is it worth it?

To put it another way I was running RBs for the last 10k miles and it was a blast. But having driven on the stock turbos @ 18.5psi on E40 for the last couple of months, sure it's slower, but it's not *that* much slower. vboxed @ 125mph vs. 130mph on RBs @ 20psi+. At the airport instead of hitting 160mph it was only hitting 152mph but that was still enough to best plenty of cars. With RBs @ 17psi I can't say it would be worth it over stock turbos for me personally.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 06-04-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

If your like me and your stock turbos rattle like crazy, it's worth it.... It's driving me nuts
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

If your like me and your stock turbos rattle like crazy, it's worth it.... It's driving me nuts
    There are a lot of tricks to mask the rattle on the tuning end. Maybe you'll luck out and can mask it?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

FWIW cobb can be used to eliminate or at least minimize rattle by adjusting a couple wgdc tables. I've done it on a couple cars now with great results. Check with Brenn. He should be able to figure it out.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

sweet numbers man!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    FWIW cobb can be used to eliminate or at least minimize rattle by adjusting a couple wgdc tables. I've done it on a couple cars now with great results. Check with Brenn. He should be able to figure it out.
    Will do! Thanks! K no more derailing the op's thread!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

You cracked 500, solid.

There we go, more 5XX dyno runs, less bickering. Repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    oh " hi, im VTT, im going to comment in yet ANOTHER THREAD that i have no reason to, about something i have no reason to.."
    Look, please relax and don't start stuff with him. Why? He's pointing out you don't stop bashing and what do you do, you bash him. Just drop it with him you'll both get along.

You aren't helping the forum or thread by doing it I'm not sure what is with you as of late but you're not making things fun. Both of you can get along, Vargas is doing great stuff right now come on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Josh Boody is prob my favorite "tuner" on any forum. I made a post a while back telling him since he is so talented as I tuner I would like to have him tune for us. The thread was laced with sarcasm and he thought I was serious and sent me a long winded PM about it.
    Oh snap....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I just wish BMW would go back to being N/A. None of this crap would have happened.
    You kidding? The fighting would be worse. You should have seen the E46 M3 guys rip each others throats out over centrifugal blowers let alone once turbos hit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

To actually contribute to the thread though. Solid results. Quick question for those in the know, how often are the "pushed" RB cars blowing turbos? At what level are the turbos realistically working too hard? Is it 500? What is the recommended safety zone for the RB turbos?
    Re-read and would really like to know the answer to this myself.

Don't people say you can get more boost out of the stockers and the RB's like it around 18-19? That's what I think I read form @Terry@BMS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Every time I look in a thread it's either LM and Vargas bashing each other or you and Terry going back and forth. @Sticky take note. I hope I speak for the masses when I say it's making me visit here less and less for sure.
    Oh trust me I get it it's making me want to visit less too. What I'm hoping for, and I know it's a long shot, is they see it themselves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Can you boost over 18.6 psi now on 6AT? Genuinely curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Actually my response to you was NOT me tuning anything, although it would have been fun. And yes, understood the sarcasm but I was trying to be helpful. I just stated my thoughts and even suggested that you could do it yourself with some community help… great promotion for very flexible hardware package. Never did get any logs from your tuner.

Now I will go back and read DZ's (a real tuner) long winded response.
    lol, he still thinks im the only one saying this.. in reality, i was just the loudest. repped for truth Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Look, please relax and don't start stuff with him. Why? He's pointing out you don't stop bashing and what do you do, you bash him. Just drop it with him you'll both get along.

You aren't helping the forum or thread by doing it I'm not sure what is with you as of late but you're not making things fun. Both of you can get along, Vargas is doing great stuff right now come on.
    point the $#@!ing finger at your vendor then too, ban him from an obvious conflict of interest thread thats entirely out of his reach , quit your bias $#@! and ill stop speaking for the community..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

point the $#@!ing finger at your vendor then too, ban him from an obvious conflict of interest thread thats entirely out of his reach , quit your bias $#@! and ill stop speaking for the community..
    All you are doing is dividing the community. Maybe you could do something like grow up, swallow your pride, and do what is BEST for the community and vendors instead of alienating them? Learning how to let things go? You know, the adult thing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

All you are doing is dividing the community. Maybe you could do something like grow up, swallow your pride, and do what is BEST for the community and vendors instead of alienating them? Learning how to let things go? You know, the adult thing?

im dividing the community? where do you come up with this $#@!? oh i forgot, i dont send you money; so VTT jumping in threads and commenting incorrectly on issues (something you have an obligation to correct right..?)

I disagree what my job is as admin is whatever I decide for it to be and part of that in my opinion is having valid content. I can't have a forum where people are saying the wrong things. Not too long ago a guy said race gas doesn't matter for a turbo application which is a basic that had to be corrected but as the admin it was my responsibility.

Additionally, considering the unique nature of this forum the admin role is multi-faceted. Let me worry about what the admin should be doing.
    is fine, but me, yea, the guy that brought everyone here and questions new products and trying to pry information from those that are witholding it, is dividing the community.. got it.
    Last edited by LostMarine; 06-05-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

im dividing the community? where do you come up with this $#@!? oh i forgot, i dont send you money; so VTT jumping in threads and commenting incorrectly on issues (something you have an obligation to correct right..?)
    With all due respect some awesome results were posted by the OP. Great data we can all look over. Rather than do so you instead are taking HIS THREAD off course DISRESPECTFULLY by allowing your PERSONAL FEELINGS to get in the way RATHER THAN due WHAT IS BEST as expected.

I congratulated this person on this page. Now on this same page you make it about you and your petty squabbles as if those should take precedence. Which would you say is the more fitting course of action?

is fine, but me, yea, the guy that brought everyone here question new products and trying to pry information from those that are witholding it, is dividing the community.. got it.
    Now this is where you simply let it go... be a big boy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Hot damn am I popular in Chicago. Need higher res though, maybe a photoshoot?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast