Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I agree, going with the V8 was serious disappointment. Fast forward several years on and all of the big sport sedans are going to be FI. I wouldn't put my money down on a new M3 before seeing what the competition (Audi, Merc) has to offer.
    Merc will have a twin turbo 4.0 liter V8.

Audi will have a twin turbo 3.0 liter V6. Look to the Panamera S to see what Audi will be put in the next car. 420 hp tweaked to 450 probably right inline with BMW.

Mercedes has the upper hand next round where raw power is concerned.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Merc will have a twin turbo 4.0 liter V8.

Audi will have a twin turbo 3.0 liter V6. Look to the Panamera S to see what Audi will be put in the next car. 420 hp tweaked to 450 probably right inline with BMW.

Mercedes has the upper hand next round where raw power is concerned.
    Nothing new here.

With how well the 3.0 TFSI SC V6 responds to mods, the TT 3.0 TFSI should be a monster. And the benz will have what I envision as an S65 without the high rpm and a sh!tload of torque. I hope bmw doesn't make the S55 too complex to be competitive in the aftermarket. with talk of 3 turbos/electric turbos I forsee a tuning nightmare. The DME is hard enough to deal with as it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    Nothing new here.
    Well, kind of. Mercedes will still have a V8 whereas Audi and BMW are going down in displacement and cylinder count. So, I think the disparity is greater than it has been.

With how well the 3.0 TFSI SC V6 responds to mods, the TT 3.0 TFSI should be a monster.
    The reason the 3.0 TFSI SC responds to well is due to the bypass valve design. You hold it closed, you increase boost. The TT 3.0 TFSI should be damn good too, we'll see.

And the benz will have what I envision as an S65 without the high rpm and a sh!tload of torque.
    Without the RPM it's no S65.

I hope bmw doesn't make the S55 too complex to be competitive in the aftermarket. with talk of 3 turbos/electric turbos I forsee a tuning nightmare. The DME is hard enough to deal with as it is.
    BMW $#@!ing hates us. The F30 DME is apparently encrypted to an absurd level and COBB told me it's just absolutely insane. Seriously, $#@! BMW.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well, kind of. Mercedes will still have a V8 whereas Audi and BMW are going down in displacement and cylinder count. So, I think the disparity is greater than it has been.
    True. Though when you look at the car as a whole, and not power levels, the design behind past AMG's has pretty much been "out power the competition" until the black series came along. Even then they had some substantial hp from the factory. When its all said and done and the cars line up, you're right; this time around I expect the Benz to walk away pretty easily.

The reason the 3.0 TFSI SC responds to well is due to the bypass valve design. You hold it closed, you increase boost. The TT 3.0 TFSI should be damn good too, we'll see.
    I thought the aftermarket Harrop kit for the S65 was the first PD blower to implement this tech...maybe I misread that thread?

Without the RPM it's no S65.
    true, it will never be like an S65 (especially with any type of FI). I bet it will rev pretty well for what it is though, more rev happy than the m157.

BMW $#@!ing hates us. The F30 DME is apparently encrypted to an absurd level and COBB told me it's just absolutely insane. Seriously, $#@! BMW.
    At this point they are going to silly lengths to intentionally prevent aftermarket tuning. Its a lose lose for them. More development costs, cars are getting dumbed down, enthusiast who like to mod are turning away. You know there has to be SOME people inside BMW pulling their hair out over this new direction for the company. I guess none of that matters anymore because they sell lots of cars Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

True. Though when you look at the car as a whole, and not power levels, the design behind past AMG's has pretty much been "out power the competition" until the black series came along. Even then they had some substantial hp from the factory. When its all said and done and the cars line up, you're right; this time around I expect the Benz to walk away pretty easily.
    Yes, exactly. For the first time I think Mercedes will have a substantial straightline advantage. Despite what people think, which is mostly forum know-it-alls, the E46 M3 and C32 were pretty even with the edge to the E46 M3. In the aftermarket, no contest, M3 all day. E92 M3 and C63 pretty even with the edge to the C63 thanks for the P31 package. Aftermarket is about even this time as the C63's have Weistec now. Next gen... it's going to be somewhat lopsided.

I wonder if the new M3 will even beat the C63 Black Series.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I thought the aftermarket Harrop kit for the S65 was the first PD blower to implement this tech...maybe I misread that thread?
    I think there may be a difference in the valves or how they are controlled. Not sure exactly.

rue, it will never be like an S65 (especially with any type of FI). I bet it will rev pretty well for what it is though, more rev happy than the m157.
    Probably exactly as rev happy as the m157. Only Benz motor I can think of to rev decently is the M156.

At this point they are going to silly lengths to intentionally prevent aftermarket tuning. Its a lose lose for them.
    That's what I thought I don't understand them at all. It's just not enthusiast oriented any longer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

A lose lose? Are you joking. Do you know how many warranty repairs they probably have covered due to overstressed turbo engines since the 335 came out? They often do not prove it or question it but likely have spent billions in repairs secondary to tuning. Bottom line is it is costly under warranty to repair tuned cars gone wrong because they cannot go and prove and investigate every single repair or else that would cost billions. The only way to do it is to try make the ecu either secure or very easy to detect aftermarket tunes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
    A lose lose? Are you joking. Do you know how many warranty repairs they probably have covered due to overstressed turbo engines since the 335 came out? They often do not prove it or question it but likely have spent billions in repairs secondary to tuning. Bottom line is it is costly under warranty to repair tuned cars gone wrong because they cannot go and prove and investigate every single repair or else that would cost billions. The only way to do it is to try make the ecu either secure or very easy to detect aftermarket tunes
    Once again, bmw just cares about the bottom line and not the enthusiast like they used too. I do see what you're saying, did not think of that when I wrote the lose-lose comment. I still think its a poor move.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Not really. They have warranty repairs because their cars break on a weekly basis. I love BMW, but all of the warranty repairs I know of from myself or friends have been unrelated to modifications.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Where were all of you during the e46 or e36 years? Where doing bolt ons got you a minimal gain. Now all of a sudden these hp are coming out the wood works.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Where were all of you during the e46 or e36 years? Where doing bolt ons got you a minimal gain. Now all of a sudden these hp are coming out the wood works.
    People just seem to want an HP platform now not a drivers car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    I was on dtmpower.net.....I had a e36 328 in high school/ college, wishing I could get more power out of it then just my bolt ons I could afford at the time..... Back then a turbo e36 m3 was rare as hell but back then a bolt on e36 m3 was a fast car. In the twisties, few cars could keep up with a e36 m3. That was before the USA has s4's, sti's, evo's, cts-v's, Lexus isf's, gtr (unless imported), m5's, fast abundant amg Mercedes cars etc....the list goes on.

The landscape has changed since the e36m and even e46 m3 days. A car enthusiast after speed and luxury has many more options now with big power. BMW needs to step it up....and this new f80 m will be thier answer
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

People just seem to want an HP platform now not a drivers car.
    Why can't we have both? If BMW can accomplish that....u won't buy one?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I was on dtmpower.net.....I had a e36 328 in high school/ college, wishing I could get more power out of it then just my bolt ons I could afford at the time..... Back then a turbo e36 m3 was rare as hell but back then a bolt on e36 m3 was a fast car. In the twisties, few cars could keep up with a e36 m3. That was before the USA has s4's, sti's, evo's, cts-v's, Lexus isf's, gtr (unless imported), m5's, fast abundant amg Mercedes cars etc....the list goes on.

The landscape has changed since the e36m and even e46 m3 days. A car enthusiast after speed and luxury has many more options now with big power. BMW needs to step it up....and this new f80 m will be thier answer
    DTMpower... that brings back the memories.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Why can't we have both? If BMW can accomplish that....u won't buy one?
    The BMW M cars always were hp platforms. The problem is now people want HP for free.

I always liked to the idea of adding forced induction to a superior motor. Oh well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The BMW M cars always were hp platforms. The problem is now people want HP for free.

I always liked to the idea of adding forced induction to a superior motor. Oh well...

There is nothing wrong with getting hp for free, especially if the chassis it resides in is "a drivers car"
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I hope M cars offer a powerpack. The one thing I never agreed with that having a car with a 6 or 7 year run cycle and never ever increasing the power as the life cycle goes on is ridiculous. Power today is way different than power in 6 years in terms of what is available. To me it made the e92 really outdated the last 2 years of its cycel. 414 hp no longer cut it with rs5 450, amg pp 460 etc. Bmw seems so stupid to me sometimes. Every other company gets the emissions or the legal $#@! taken care of to bring their hardcore models to the US and time and time again the m3 never gets any of the good packages and in general the whole series did not recieve any bump which EASILY could have been done. Could have reworked the camshaft lift, tune and manifold or something pretty easy and gotten an easy 30 more hp out of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

There is nothing wrong with getting hp for free, especially if the chassis it resides in is "a drivers car"
    There is if you sacrifice response to do so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I hope M cars offer a powerpack. The one thing I never agreed with that having a car with a 6 or 7 year run cycle and never ever increasing the power as the life cycle goes on is ridiculous. Power today is way different than power in 6 years in terms of what is available. To me it made the e92 really outdated the last 2 years of its cycel. 414 hp no longer cut it with rs5 450, amg pp 460 etc. Bmw seems so stupid to me sometimes. Every other company gets the emissions or the legal $#@! taken care of to bring their hardcore models to the US and time and time again the m3 never gets any of the good packages and in general the whole series did not recieve any bump which EASILY could have been done. Could have reworked the camshaft lift, tune and manifold or something pretty easy and gotten an easy 30 more hp out of it.
    The RS5 at 450 horsepower is still slower than the M3 at 414. Not all horses are created equal.

414 horsepower is more than adequate and the M3 will outlap any of the cars you mentioned. I mean if you just want power BMW isn't the car for you.

And yes, BMW will be offering performance packages since it is really just different software.

BMW went about it the right way getting more out of the M3 with the GTS by stroking the motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sticky I am so sick of that arguement that if you want power, and m3 is not for you. That is so ridiculous. The fact is the AMG PP will outlap the m3 on any track with the same driver. The later ones handle as well as the m car. The Rs5 is about as quick given the hp I know but that is not the point. The RS5 and C63 now match or beat the m3 at almost anything.

And you really should know better from the sounds of your knowledge that you can have the highest power and handling. The c63 pp does it best. WAY faster in a straight and as fast in the turns and track. So what do you mean you can't do both? Its a total excuse m3 users make I feel. Its one thing if there was no other car that could match it in the turns or track like the old days but the fact is even a god damn camaro and mustang match the m3 or beact it in the turns, track and straights. So the m3 will be nobodys choice if they keep that up. Hence they are going big power with turbo so clearly even bmw sees this...but yet you do not. You disagree just for the point of it. You sound miserable given your other threads that this board is not going as well as you like so you are just an angry person. Feels negative energy exuding

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Sticky I am so sick of that arguement that if you want power, and m3 is not for you. That is so ridiculous. The fact is the AMG PP will outlap the m3 on any track with the same driver. The later ones handle as well as the m car. The Rs5 is about as quick given the hp I know but that is not the point. The RS5 and C63 now match or beat the m3 at almost anything.
    It's ridiculous to say the M3 is not a straightline car? Really? I suppose it's ridiculous to say the same about the GT3. These are drivers cars, not drag racers.

The AMG isn't outlapping it I don't know what you are talking about. The tighter the course, the more the M3 is favored. It takes the Black Series to challenge the M3 on the track.

You went by the RS5's hp rating as if that matters. It's still sending power to all four wheels through a dual clutch and still is heavy. The M3 spanks it and isn't brand new so why are you applauding the RS5 instead of the other way around?

And you really should know better from the sounds of your knowledge that you can have the highest power and handling. The c63 pp does it best.
    Um the P31 package adds a more aggressive tune so what? Tune the M3 too with more aggressive software, yay.

WAY faster in a straight and as fast in the turns and track.
    I don't know what you're basing this on the but the M3 is lighter, better balanced, and simply handles better than the C63. So, you are incorrect.

So what do you mean you can't do both?
    Who said you can't?

Its a total excuse m3 users make I feel. Its one thing if there was no other car that could match it in the turns or track like the old days but the fact is even a god damn camaro and mustang match the m3 or beact it in the turns, track and straights.
    Wow new cars come out that can match the raw numbers of the M3 when it has the smallest V8. Take a look at the M3 GTS then. Now what?

So the m3 will be nobodys choice if they keep that up. Hence they are going big power with turbo so clearly even bmw sees this...but yet you do not. You disagree just for the point of it. You sound miserable given your other threads that this board is not going as well as you like so you are just an angry person. Feels negative energy exuding
    BMW is going turbos for emissions not because you think they need some power figure to satisfy you. I disagree because you are wrong. You think I'm angry because I'm providing a different view point than you? And um, the board is going pretty damn well hence why AMS just signed up unless that's a small name for you? I think you're the one exuding negative energy. Try to defend your points rather than attack baselessly, getting difficult?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    S4 V8 was a de-tuned weak v8 that put down poor numbers
    much like the S65, except it wasnt detuned, just weak

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    much like the S65, except it wasnt detuned, just weak
    Idiotic comment. Same junk rehashed but I'm not sure if you really believe this or not. Yeah, what a weak motor that exceeds anything else done on the E9X platfom and is making retarded power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

There is if you sacrifice response to do so.
    Your assuming things...don't use a stock 335 or n20 328's response and act like that's what the new m will be like. How does a e46 328 response feel compared to a e46 m3? Until the new turbo m is released, you won't know, your assuming things.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Your assuming things...don't use a stock 335 or n20 328's response and act like that's what the new m will be like. How does a e46 328 response feel compared to a e46 m3? Until the new turbo m is released, you won't know, your assuming things.
    The 328 doesn't have turbo lag but it also doesn't have independent throttle bodies. The E46 M3 is razor sharp, no new M motor will match it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast