Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

2014 BMW F80 M3 expected to weigh 220 pounds less than the E90 M3 and have 450 horsepower?

Interesting claim here regarding the curb weight of the next generation F80 M3. Now the horsepower is expected to be in the 450 range. CAR Magazine claimed the car would have 444 horses so ~450 seems to be the right range. This not as big of a jump as the E46 M3 to the E92 M3 or the new F10 M5 to the previous generation E60 M5 but BMW only made about a 60 horsepower jump with the new M5 model at the crank although the horsepower numbers at the wheels point to far more.

I would expect the same with the new M3 that for the wheel horsepower gains on the F80 to exceed the crank horsepower difference presented by BMW between the F80 and the E90 M3's. This power increase combined with a claimed weight loss by 220 pounds would make for an M3 that performs very well.

The thing is, 220 pounds is a lot to shave off the F30. And if the F80 M3 undercuts the E90 M3 by 220 pounds that means it would weigh somewhere in the 33XX pound range. Owners have weighed their E92/E90 M3's in the 35XX pound range. Confusion arises that the E9X is heavy because BMW lists its European weight which includes a 75kg driver.

BMW claims the current F30 335i weighs 3555 pounds. So, about what an E92 M3 weighs. That would mean if the rumor for 100 kg weight loss were correct the F80 M3 would undercut the F30 335i and E92 M3 by 220 pounds. That means weight less than an E46 M3 as well, not happening. What is more likely is that BMW will undercut the 3704 pound curb weight they provide for the E92 M3 putting the F80 M3 somewhere in the 35XX pound range or just about the exact same as the E90/E92.

We will find out soon enough with the car expected at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Source
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Am I the only one who thinks this new M3 is really ugly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I think those are just terrible renderings. No flares, no nothing.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Can't wait to get my hands on one. Will order as soon as the dealership will take our money. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This is really easy. Just like every other m3, it will weigh 50 more pounds then the 335 or maybe a bit less given its engine is also a 6 banger now. So essentially it will weigh the same as the e90 (as does the 335 pretty much) and the same as the e9x m3. It is laughable how so many people even went as far to say they did not buy an e9x or skipped this generation because it was too porky, yet they defend and drive the e46 m3 when in reality the difference is about 150 pounds and not over 200 as most think.

Either way this new car will be about 3600 pounds and 400 wheel hp. Will slaughter a stock e9x m3 in speed no doubt. Frankly it will beat the m5 to 60 and quarter mile and in a drag race from anything rolling below 40mph the m3 will win. The m5 has too much torque for its own good down low and cannot get traction until 40 plus mph. So for a day to day car this will feel much faster as it will lay down the power better as it has a bit less so will hopefully not burn out in 1st and 2nd. Redline will be 7400.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Not much of a surprise that they're increasing the power to compensate for the weight they'd neveer be able to cut.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Sticky you are prob right, and you and me both terry send me your turbos as soon as you get it. Ill make sure you got the goods...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Can't wait to get my hands on one. Will order as soon as the dealership will take our money. Click here to enlarge
    terry don't you think you will have to switch to flash tunes now that hand held devices are available for real tunes to allow people to do it at home? Not sure the chip market has a future market

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
    terry don't you think you will have to switch to flash tunes now that hand held devices are available for real tunes to allow people to do it at home? Not sure the chip market has a future market
    Happy to tune using whatever methods offer us the results and features our customers demand. Right now for higher HP cars that is a piggyback running some things and a flash running others. For lower HP cars it's piggyback only. For the new M3 I expect it will be some time before flash tuning is available so we'll focus on the piggyback from the get-go.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Either way this new car will be about 3600 pounds and 400 wheel hp.
    Sounds about right to me. I would want ~420 wheel though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Piggybacks are going to be a lot easier to release quickly after F3x M3/M4s hit the road. A lot more work has to go into flash based tuning (DME cracking, determining what coding = specific values, etc), but it's most certainly the "end game" and how you'll maximize performance.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    +1000

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sounds about right to me. I would want ~420 wheel though.
    Forget it... current m3 dynos 350-360, I think 390 WHP for a bone stock car would seem proper... Pair it with a solid DCT, rear end and proper gearing and we may have a real solid contender on our hands when it comes to tuning.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Forget it... current m3 dynos 350-360, I think 390 WHP for a bone stock car would seem proper... Pair it with a solid DCT, rear end and proper gearing and we may have a real solid contender on our hands when it comes to tuning.
    Anything under 4XX will be uncivilized.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Anything under 4XX will be uncivilized.

so ~465-470 crank... no way in hell lol
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    so ~465-470 crank... no way in hell lol
    Why not? What does the M5 have at the crank despite what BMW rated it at? How many dyno's over 500 whp are there stock? It's underrated and this will be too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Why not? What does the M5 have at the crank despite what BMW rated it at? How many dyno's over 500 whp are there stock? It's underrated and this will be too.
    Or they'll put an n54 in it and Sticky's head will explode!
    700 and change

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Or they'll put an n54 in it and Sticky's head will explode!
    Well that isn't happening so a good thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

looks too much like the 3 series..mehh
    m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
    looks too much like the 3 series..mehh
    Just a rendering once again...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Terrible rendering.... The new m3 will be $$

If not, at least prices on e92/e90 m3's will drop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Terrible rendering.... The new m3 will be $$

If not, at least prices on e92/e90 m3's will drop
    You think? I am curious about this - I have a feeling they won't drop at all. No one has a choice of a NA V-8 anymore, or an NA anything. That means nothing to some, and a LOT to others.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

dude at my dealership already put some money down for one... even though pricing hasn't been released Click here to enlarge ... My SA told me so when i asked for pricing details, he said the dude just wants to be guaranteed to have the first one from that dealership Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1. Stock m3 dynoes at 340-350 which is exactly 15 percent loss from its 414 hp.

2. F80 m3 will only have "450" crank hp but will dyno at about 400 (which puts crank at about 480) just like every single other underrated turbo car. So numbers will stay nice and neat inline with where bmw wants them to appear but will have no bearing on the power actually put down. Mark my words stock m3's will be breaking 400 whp by 5-10 hp from the factory. Have a DCT, 3600 pounds and 400 wheel hp you are looking at the best m3 ever

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1. Stock m3 dynoes at 340-350 which is exactly 15 percent loss from its 414 hp.

2. F80 m3 will only have "450" crank hp but will dyno at about 400 (which puts crank at about 480) just like every single other underrated turbo car. So numbers will stay nice and neat inline with where bmw wants them to appear but will have no bearing on the power actually put down. Mark my words stock m3's will be breaking 400 whp by 5-10 hp from the factory. Have a DCT, 3600 pounds and 400 wheel hp you are looking at the best m3 ever
    lmao

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast