Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    667
    Rep Points
    1,749.3
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18



    Yes Reputation No
    Thanks man!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    46
    Rep Points
    77.7
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Great post OP and thank you for taking the time to test.

    Im surprised that this hasn't been done earlier considering the underhood temps of this platform.

    I had similar success heat taping and wrapping on other platforms. I had a modded forester xt and a wrx. Both had great results with dropping iat's and slowing heatsoak when I used heat tape.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85
    Rep Points
    147.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    in hot florida here too.

    confirm the 20 degree difference between the stock box and DCI....but once you remove the cowl the stop and go traffic is not much of a factor and difference is like 5 degrees at best......so i think the filters terry is making will be game changers...... there is significantly more airflow without the cowl to DCI

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    667
    Rep Points
    1,749.3
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by neilvosko Click here to enlarge
    in hot florida here too.

    confirm the 20 degree difference between the stock box and DCI....but once you remove the cowl the stop and go traffic is not much of a factor and difference is like 5 degrees at best......so i think the filters terry is making will be game changers...... there is significantly more airflow without the cowl to DCI
    I'll confirm that once his filters are avail I'll toss them on. Also, I can re-do a lot of this stuff once I'm FBO and pushing the turbos a little harder. Should be interesting.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    322
    Rep Points
    261.5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Thread revival!

    Has anyone done/considered doing "strategic cutting" (making vents) in the belly pan/undertray to allow more cold air into the engine bay? I know completely removing it isn't a good idea, but what about a few slots?
    Just an idea.
    @SCGT
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    667
    Rep Points
    1,749.3
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18



    Yes Reputation No
    Haven't looked into it. It might work but I'm not sure there is much of an incentive for the air to be pushed through.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    322
    Rep Points
    261.5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    Haven't looked into it. It might work but I'm not sure there is much of an incentive for the air to be pushed through.
    so possibly creating some make shift air ducts along with the vents could potentially create that incentive.... maybe.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    667
    Rep Points
    1,749.3
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18



    Yes Reputation No
    It's definitely possible but there are some reasonable aerodynamics at play that it's useful to be cognizant of. You don't want to just sawzall some $#@! off down there and hope it helps flow. Well, you might want to. I don't want to. I guess if you wanted to, I'd start by determining a repeatable and valid way of measuring underhood temp then repeat it with the drip tray completely off. Start working back from there....

    Terry's filter replacements work pretty well and cost $50 or so. It's going to be real hard to improve on that value.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    322
    Rep Points
    261.5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    It's definitely possible but there are some reasonable aerodynamics at play that it's useful to be cognizant of. You don't want to just sawzall some $#@! off down there and hope it helps flow. Well, you might want to. I don't want to. I guess if you wanted to, I'd start by determining a repeatable and valid way of measuring underhood temp then repeat it with the drip tray completely off. Start working back from there....

    Terry's filter replacements work pretty well and cost $50 or so. It's going to be real hard to improve on that value.

    I definitely agree, I don't want to just start chopping up the undertray, i was just trying to brainstorm some additional ideas on how in decrease engine bay temps, and in turn IATs without major modifications.
    The cowl removal/adding BMS cowl filters is the kind of idea I like, BUT living in Colorado where random weather happens often, I am just worried about getting extra water into the engine bay that shouldn't be there.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •