Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Just bought an M3, bearing noise?? NEED URGENT HELP!

LINK OF BEARING SOUND AT THE BOTTOM!!

First off I would like to mention I live overseas and not in the US, so rules here are different!!

Ok guys I REALLY need some urgent help. Just bought a used M3 from the dealer, 2011 Frozen Gray M3. Beautiful Car and especially color. I loved it. Test drove it and everything seemed fine. However, after I paid and the Cheque cleared, I got the car 1 week later in horrible condition (got it yesterday). 10 minutes after driving it off the lot, the car stalled while idling, and died. I got a message saying "engine fault please contact BMW dealer" with the yellow check engine light. tried to start it again, it would constantly crank and no life at all. Tried again, nothing. After 1.5 mins approx, i cranked and if fired right up. Drove it no problems. After a while the rpm would go up and down on idle as if its dying and trying to keep itself running. It died again, and so I started it again. After a while I got both a FUEL PUMP AND ENGINE FAULT ERROR Message, however this happened while driving normally and the idle problems/stalling had COMPLETELY ceased. Everything at this point and till now is fine with the car, other than this VERY weird sound that I was hearing from the VERY beginning since I picked it up from the dealer (At first I thought the sound was just normal from an M3, stupid I know but I never drove or have any experience with the E9x M3s) Took me some time to notice there is something wrong. It is a TICKING/ clicking sound. It almost sounds like a tractor when i drive the car. It increases with RPM. On full throttle I cant hear it but I guess its because the engine screams so loud. The power on full throttle is also fine and as it should be. Feels just about right (in relation to other 400hp~ cars)

Could this sound be just from the fuel pump?? Or is it a bearing?? at 1.2k rpm and below I cant hear anything. only above those rpms you start to hear it. Sound comes HOT and COLD.

If it is a bearing I am definitely returning the car. If its just fuel pump related and this sound is coming from lack of fuel, ill just change the pump and keep the car.

Please guys LET ME KNOW all your opinions!!

LINK TO VIDEO:

GO TO YOUTUBE -> /watch?v=yyliccQoWiM (I cant post links because im a new member)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think I hear a background chatter that might be the bearings, but it's no where nearly as bad as this car

IMO, you're having way too many problems to be buying a brand new, limited edition M3 from a dealer to not take it back to them and have them look over every inch of the car. Chances are the fault code for the fuel pump is stored somewhere on the car, and even if they don't open the motor to replace the bearings, its now on file that you expressed some concern over the motor's health.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I have told OP to take it back and that it sounds like the bearings for sure. I couldn't check the car out for the OP personally as I have the flu.........BAD.

The car is an approved used BMW and was bought by OP a few days ago from BMW Bahrain.

Lets see what they have to say about it tomorrow.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I hope for the OP's sake that the issues he's having are solved by the dealer. It really must suck to have such a new limited edition M3 having these issues. Good luck!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

@Mike@VAC

Any issues with this particular car should be fixed by the dealer but you can always get VAC's bearings just as a reminder.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The OP has factory warranty on the car till 2014, so I advised him to take it to the dealer. I don't have an issue fixing this for him but of course we'll charge him.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, just let BMW come pick up my car from my house. I did not want to drive it there and have them later blame me for making the problem "worse".

I talked with one of the managers there, and they told me that this is all simply a fuel pump problem. The engine sound, engine fault, and all those related issues will all disappear once the fuel pump is replaced.

They told me if i still was not happy after the fix, they will "HOPEFULLY" be able to return my money, after he talks to the GM.

Well see what happens.

Thanks guys for al the help and support and special thanks to 0-60 Motorsports for all the support, help and guide given to me personally & on the phone!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by snaggle Click here to enlarge
    Ok, just let BMW come pick up my car from my house. I did not want to drive it there and have them later blame me for making the problem "worse".

I talked with one of the managers there, and they told me that this is all simply a fuel pump problem. The engine sound, engine fault, and all those related issues will all disappear once the fuel pump is replaced.

They told me if i still was not happy after the fix, they will "HOPEFULLY" be able to return my money, after he talks to the GM.

Well see what happens.

Thanks guys for al the help and support and special thanks to 0-60 Motorsports for all the support, help and guide given to me personally & on the phone!
    No worries bro. Just want you to enjoy the car.
    Click here to enlarge