Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Big T vs TT
    Mmm there are SOME spool advantages to twins of similar flow rate, no? Differences in inertia with the edges of the wheels not being so far out i guess..?

but giving the same midrange and similar spool as the tiny stock housings sounds a bit strange?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    that SHOULDN'T be physically possible

i mean... physics gets in the way of bigger turbos pushing as much air as smaller turbos in the midrange.. otherwise big singles would also be able to have the same curve.. especially smaller big singles lol
    Generally true, but some turbos have better aero design on the turbine and compressor making up for the increased mass. Think higher efficiency design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Mmm there are SOME spool advantages to twins of similar flow rate, no? Differences in inertia with the edges of the wheels not being so far out i guess..?

but giving the same midrange and similar spool as the tiny stock housings sounds a bit strange?
    All things equal, yes, the moment of inertia is lower for twins than a big single. But, friction is increased slightly. How much? I have no idea.

Things are rarely equal. More advanced tech on a turbo can trump basic physics. Journal vs ball bearing, GT vs GTX, EFR turbo's, etc. In the end decide on a power goal and get what you need.

edit: i guess my laptop forgot to post that when I wrote it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    All things equal, yes, the moment of inertia is lower for twins than a big single. But, friction is increased slightly. How much? I have no idea.

Things are rarely equal. More advanced tech on a turbo can trump basic physics. Journal vs ball bearing, GT vs GTX, EFR turbo's, etc. In the end decide on a power goal and get what you need.

edit: i guess my laptop forgot to post that when I wrote it Click here to enlarge
    ahhhh true, so likely much of a muchness in the end (in theory)

I don't know enough about all the different turbos... except BB is conventionally > JB except they take up more space BUT... in some cases (EFR's? and some precisions? there doesn't seem to be too much decreased lifespan in the journal bearing's).. AND on top of that, how differently they can spool, how much air they can flow at different pressures vs what pressure you're willing to run/what your motor can take...

EFR's are meant to be the tip top turbos aren't they?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

ahhhh true, so likely much of a muchness in the end (in theory)

I don't know enough about all the different turbos... except BB is conventionally > JB except they take up more space BUT... in some cases (EFR's? and some precisions? there doesn't seem to be too much decreased lifespan in the journal bearing's).. AND on top of that, how differently they can spool, how much air they can flow at different pressures vs what pressure you're willing to run/what your motor can take...

EFR's are meant to be the tip top turbos aren't they?
    Re EFR, debatable on being the tippy top. Their packaging is horrendous, but the on board bov is kinda nice. On the STI side of things I've seen folks waiting ages for their EFR's, and I haven't conclusively seen that the whp gain between a similarly sized PTE/Garrett/Modded Garrett is worth the money, but it's been a while since I looked at them, this is just what I remember.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    Re EFR, debatable on being the tippy top. Their packaging is horrendous, but the on board bov is kinda nice. On the STI side of things I've seen folks waiting ages for their EFR's, and I haven't conclusively seen that the whp gain between a similarly sized PTE/Garrett/Modded Garrett is worth the money, but it's been a while since I looked at them, this is just what I remember.
    hm fair enough

they sound pretty compact, the integrated BOV is a bit of a waste for me since i NEED to have it recirc.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

hm fair enough

they sound pretty compact, the integrated BOV is a bit of a waste for me since i NEED to have it recirc.
    Lol, Look at the size difference of an EFR vs anything else. Their center section is a fair bit larger (read wider) than competitors. Also assuming this is for a n54, you technically don't need recirc as car runs speed density from the factory.

I'm honestly not sure an EFR would fit, but I've seen exactly 0 ST cars in person.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    Lol, Look at the size difference of an EFR vs anything else. Their center section is a fair bit larger (read wider) than competitors. Also assuming this is for a n54, you technically don't need recirc as car runs speed density from the factory.

I'm honestly not sure an EFR would fit, but I've seen exactly 0 ST cars in person.
    ah i don't mean compact as in small, i mean compact as in packed in haha

yeah don't need a recirc for tuning due to MAP, but emissions laws here need recirc so the PCV fumes don't go out to atmosphere REGARDLESS of how well filtered your OCC is. yeah it's completely ridiculous and backwards, laws made up by people that don't know anything.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

ah i don't mean compact as in small, i mean compact as in packed in haha

yeah don't need a recirc for tuning due to MAP, but emissions laws here need recirc so the PCV fumes don't go out to atmosphere REGARDLESS of how well filtered your OCC is. yeah it's completely ridiculous and backwards, laws made up by people that don't know anything.
    The EFR turbos have an option for recirculating the BOV.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

This picture pretty much sums it up. The EFR's are HUGE. If you do not have tons of room they will not fit. For our platform there basically moot as they are so long.

Attachment 30883

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

But seriously... that is silly how much longer they are. I've never actually seen any up close and personal in the wild, they are a rare species.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This picture pretty much sums it up. The EFR's are HUGE. If you do not have tons of room they will not fit. For our platform there basically moot as they are so long.

Attachment 30883
    wow

yeah wow

but.. the 3076 is a LOT smaller turbo than the 7670 anyway?.. still TONS bigger.

it looks like the EFR has smaller wheels though? or are the housings just deceptive?

i thought a 66xx was more equivalent to the GT35

or are BW sizing's TOTALLY different to PTE?

stupid numbers, so meaningless at face value -_-
    Last edited by Flinchy; 06-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    The EFR turbos have an option for recirculating the BOV.
    that's pretty damn cool!

even top mount, there's just nowhere near enough room haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge

Attachment 30883
    EFR is saying:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    But seriously... that is silly how much longer they are.
    Heh what I was thinking, I had no idea. GTX it is...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123