Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DefactoM6 Click here to enlarge
    I can attest from personal experience that the DMFW caused the high-RPM, high TQ misfires, and that DMFW failed quite dramatically on my car. I had an ACT HDSD+DMFW which began slipping badly after a couple of passes at the strip. Now mind you, I had begun to experience the high RPM misfires nearly 7 months prior, which had only gotten progressively worse, and I began to notice a SMFW-like rattle at idle about 3 months after I first began getting misfires. I switched tunes, and absolutely nothing changed it. By the time the clutch died, it would misfire on 5/6 (and occasionally 4) like clockwork above 6300 RPM, and outside the car, it sounded like I had fully committed to the SMFW, as it rattled noticeably. Only way to make those misfires go away was to go to a more tame (non boosa) tune. Plugs, coilpacks, injectors didn't fix it, my valves are sparkling clean, etc, etc. When we got the trans off, applying one finger worth of pressure on the ACT PP/clutch/DMFW assembly would make the DMFW wobble on itself with ease. I have video evidence of such, am uploading it as we speak. When we got it out on the ground, I was able to use that DMFW like one of those balance boards that people use to train themselves for skateboarding/snowboarding...it had failed that badly. We put in the Spec 3+ and Steel SMFW, and I can now wind it out to 7200 all day long. So I drove in the shop with a car that couldn't go over 6300 no matter what I did (control), and changed only three items: the FW, the clutch, and the stretch bolts which hold the trans to the block (hypothesis/variables). I only mention the stretch bolts to try and appease confirmation bias-happy conspiracy theorists. Result of the experiment: a car that would happily rev to 7200 afterward. As it applies to my car (which is a 6 bolt car, perhaps you 8 bolt guys have stronger DMFWs or something), I would call that a successful experiment. You all can take that for what it's worth.

Good data
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Video of the one finger wobble. Yes, I know, I apologize for breaking the vertical filming rule, I was documenting for my own amusement, didn't think it was going on the internets.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-9uRpUcQw

Video of the one finger wobble. Yes, I know, I apologize for breaking the vertical filming rule, I was documenting for my own amusement, didn't think it was going on the internets.
    This is the same issue that @rick@defiv found on my car, the weak construction is documented in a dedicated thread.

Here's the thread, lots of people chiming in about not running the DMFW. Including the tear-down.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...h-replacements
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    got source for it?

there's an OSG twin kit that's been 'in production' with the SMFW fabrication for over a year now...
    Did not even realize that! I figured since they had a diff for the n54 they would at least definitely have a clutch option for you guys.
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-9uRpUcQw

Very good information/confirmation of the fact that the dual-mass flywheel caused the misfires. However, I can tell you that even a new dual-mass flywheel wobbles when you do that (maybe not as easily but quite easily).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    This is the same issue that @rick@defiv found on my car, the weak construction is documented in a dedicated thread.
    I tried on a new dual-mass and it does almost the same...that is not the problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been happy with my HPF Stage 2, but I'm not comfortable with the thought of the oem DMFW exploding.

The question is Spec 2+ or 3+.

I should probably get the 3+ with the steel SMFW since I'm going with Vargas Stage 3.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Just get ready for some clutch chatter with the spec SMFW. I was very disappointed with my aluminum SMFW. it was SO loud it was embarrassing. I haven't heard a steel one in person but I hear its a little better.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had a stage 3+ with SMFW at 500ft lbs. I'm confident that clutch will take a serious beating even at the drag strip.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Just get ready for some clutch chatter with the spec SMFW. I was very disappointed with my aluminum SMFW. it was SO loud it was embarrassing. I haven't heard a steel one in person but I hear its a little better.
    Yup. We have a number of local N54s with both aluminum and steel flywheels. Aluminum are noticeably louder.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I am ONLY speaking from my experience with the DMFW and a high HP engine and that it didn't give us any issues at all as far as reliability.
    ahh fair enough

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Advan was 'non-responsive' when I tried contacting them for their dual disk FW. So I did 'bark up that tree.' Not sure what's going on with their company but nobody responded to my multiple inquiries.

The CM twin is currently the only solution for high power levels if you want to do it right the first time. Grip / Modulation / Etc it's great, holding power no problem. Rattle is present.

You bang out no-lift high RPM shifts all day and the car lunges forward like crazy every time. Clutch doesn't show signs of stopping.

If you do decide to go with CM keep the following in mind:
    They don't stock the 6 bolt FW version. As you're outside of NA you likely have a 6-bolt. My car is NA and had a 6-bolt.
    It took them over a month to manufacture my 6 bolt, they blew their time estimates (which is typical.)
    They shipped the wrong clutch pack, which caused the clutch to seize once it was finally installed (after a month of downtime.)

So, before you buy CM verify the FW type. Triple check with CM.
    Once you receive your clutch, verify that the clutch pack looks like "everyone else's."
    yep.. i sent an email recently and they said they still hadn't even test fitted the kit... and they're already up to attempting a high mount single kit?

priorities...

I actually have an 8 bolt (since the engine is just sitting there i can check haha), which i believe is an 'earlier' N54? i'm not really sure... from what i googled it seemed every later built N54 (like... 2008/9 onwards?) had the 6 bolt? so why would CM only stock the 8bolt when 6 bolts are the latest? lol

i take it they started making the kit when the N54 was new, and they all had 8 bolt... and they never updated for the new model?

sucks they shipped it wrong though! if i end up needing to go with them, i'll double and triple check for sure! thanks for the heads up

ED: yep 01/2009 is when the changed from 8bolt to 6bolt, according to the dates before/after on new cranks and flywheels Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Yup. We have a number of local N54s with both aluminum and steel flywheels. Aluminum are noticeably louder.
    can you explain why the SMFW's chatter so much on the n54 but not really any other car? i've really never experienced it in any other japanese/domestic car i've ever driven, even with super light weight alu ones (8lb etc.)
    Last edited by Flinchy; 05-30-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    Did not even realize that! I figured since they had a diff for the n54 they would at least definitely have a clutch option for you guys.
    N54's have an OSG diff because it's the same as E46/E36/E30, BMW's have had the same range of ring-gear/pumpkin sizing since the 80's, a 188 diff that fits an E46 will fit an E8x/E9x with a 'small' pumpkin too
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ferruccio Click here to enlarge
    I've been running a Spec Stage 2+ with a new stock flywheel. It's not quite the torque capacity of a 3+, though I do not plan on making much more than the mid 500s for torque, and I know this clutch has historically done fine with those torque levels. Engagement point is exactly like stock, and the weight of the pedal feels exactly stock. I've been told that it is heavier than stock, but I don't really notice a difference. Maybe I am used to the much heavier clutch on a 911 Turbo.

Engagement was smooth as butter for the first couple of hundred miles, then it started shuddering (this was all in the break-in period). Since then, everything has smoothed out. This clutch fully holds the 500 ft lbs of torque I'm currently demanding of it, no problem. The previous clutch would slip unpleasantly. I had a stock clutch previously. I decided to continue using the dual mass flywheel setup, because I like the smooth power application and the lack of chattering at idle. However, I have been told that significantly higher horsepower (50+ over what I have) and the twisting of the flywheel will mess up the readings of the crank position sensor, causing misfires. As far as I know, there still isn't a workaround to that, but I could be completely wrong.
    I think this is the setup I'm going for....spec stg2+ with OEM dmfw. I can't stand chatter and I'm not planning on maxing out the RB or vtt2 turbos...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what is the difference between these two spec stage 3 +?

SB533F
    SB533F-2

I see in some pages saying... 571 torque (the first model) and in the other 671 max torque (the second model).

By the way .... for which we will install Steel SFMW, we must to order NO-SAC, correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should have Tilton make a clutch kit for us. They are expensive but they are incredibly good. Good friend of mine has a ~825 whp Supra and that clutch is very quiet and the pedal is very light. Another good experience with a clutch was on my Evo 9, Exedy Dual. Quiet and silky smooth all the time.

On the other hand I had a Spec with an Exedy aluminum FW on my STi, and after experiencing that amount of chatter and rough engagement I wouldn't recommend anything that behaves similarly. It was uncomfortable, irritating, and embarrassing.
    Last edited by guru_method; 06-06-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I just got off the phone with spec and they said their stg 2+ clutch with the part number missing the "-2" is specifically designed to be used with the OEM dmfw. Has anyone here ever ran one? Seems like the way I'll go... The guy on the phone told me it handles the same amount of tq as the stg2+ coupled with thier smfw
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    then we can say the following

-2 Is to dmfw

and the that not ends in -2 is for smfw

Right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

i canīt edit the post ........

I think that itīs not so.

-2 Is for smfw
    without -2 is for dmfw

I have seen on some pages that you can only put the steel smfw optional in the -2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupra Click here to enlarge
    i canīt edit the post ........

I think that itīs not so.

-2 Is for smfw
    without -2 is for dmfw

I have seen on some pages that you can only put the steel smfw optional in the -2
    Right, according to the spec rep I talked to, the clutches without the " -2 " at the end of the part number are for use with the OEM dmfw. It says it right on thier website too.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    know if SB533f-2 there are several options depending on the year of the vehicle?

I have seen that some have received more fat clutch then have not gone well.

You can have support for this?

Mine is March 2007, I donīt would want have problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Give spec a call....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The english is not my native language.

Enough to write hahahaha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ahhh....well maybe they have someone that speaks your language? You can email them, sorry I'm not sure what to tell you. The guy I spoke to had a midwest american accent so you might be out of luck lol....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123