Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Upgraded clutch options

I know this has been discussed before but I'm hoping with the older these cars get, there are more and more people running upgraded clutches so some up to date info would be helpful.

I'm looking for some feedback from people that have tried different upgraded clutch options or are happy with thier setup. I was dead set on HPF but they are out of business.

I'm looking for a stock engagement point, low chatter or none, and good holding power for hybrid turbos on e85.

My stock clutch slipped on brens dyno while I was getting my protune and I know it won't holdup if/when I buy rb's or vtt stg2's.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've only trusted 1 company when it comes to clutch/diff/driveline stuff, and thats OS Giken. Look into a super single. It should be more than enough to hold
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To be honest, SPEC stage 3+ with the steel flywheel is the way to go right now for many. Most of the noise is there during break-in and vast majority of owners reported minimal chatter or chatter they can live with in exchange for performance and longevity
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OS G Would be legit. However they don't have n54 options yet. (I would have loved an OSG dual.)

HPF Reportedly used SouthBend for their clutches. Perhaps you can contact them.

I had an ACT; it didn't hold up. The change in engagement point was painful.

My Dual CM is lots of fun and hold is insane. I raised my RPM idle points and that did not address the lightweight flywheel rattle it is audible both in and out of the cabin. Engagement is tricky to master. The company itself is a pain to deal with, they don't honor time estimates, their QA people are $#@! and everything takes forever. I still enjoy it & believe it to be the most 'badass clutch available.'

SPEC Stage 3+ Sounds like a great option with little sacrifice for a street car.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just a heads up spec 2+ and steel flywheel with a SAC setup here, chatter is bad.. at least for a 5 series. It honestly sounds like something mechanical is wrong with the car when I am idling with the foot off of the clutch, ohhh you don't want to talk about drive thrus either the noise is just plane embarrassing. Having said that.. what I've been doing is riding the clutch in some of those situations and the noise disappears, I know it's not the best solutions but it'll do for now. Performance wise though.. it grabs, is smooth and almost stock like on the engagement points.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ugh, this is why I posted this...

Dumb question, but would a stock setup be fine? I don't launch the car often and don't go to the track so I wonder if that would work? I can't stand weird noises and I would hate excessive chatter or strange engagement points on this car. The car is 100% a street car...

Maybe I will reach out to south bend, now that HPF is done, maybe they can sell direct and won't hide it?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Dumb question, but would a stock setup be fine?
    The clutch will eventually slip again, especially cause you're putting down nearly 500 WTQ
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ugh, this is why I posted this...

Dumb question, but would a stock setup be fine? I don't launch the car often and don't go to the track so I wonder if that would work? I can't stand weird noises and I would hate excessive chatter or strange engagement points on this car. The car is 100% a street car...

Maybe I will reach out to south bend, now that HPF is done, maybe they can sell direct and won't hide it?
    I think @VargasTurboTech has some connections with south bend, maybe check to see what he can get you.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
    Just a heads up spec 2+ and steel flywheel with a SAC setup here, chatter is bad.. at least for a 5 series. It honestly sounds like something mechanical is wrong with the car when I am idling with the foot off of the clutch,
    This would be my worry. Would the same clutch paired with the OE Dual-Mass flywheel chatter? Or is this clutch beyond the OE setup?

A 6MT 535i is in our future and my first modifications would be coilovers, clutch and LSD to beat up the stockers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To be honest, the only clutch I've seen rave reviews on was the HPF....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The HPF clutch is good but will shudder when engaging 1st gear with some rev, you basically need to quickly rev and release for it to be smooth from a standstill. Overrall I like the clutch for a street car. The only thing that worries me is the DMF which I seized recently and had to replace with another.
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been running a Spec Stage 2+ with a new stock flywheel. It's not quite the torque capacity of a 3+, though I do not plan on making much more than the mid 500s for torque, and I know this clutch has historically done fine with those torque levels. Engagement point is exactly like stock, and the weight of the pedal feels exactly stock. I've been told that it is heavier than stock, but I don't really notice a difference. Maybe I am used to the much heavier clutch on a 911 Turbo.

Engagement was smooth as butter for the first couple of hundred miles, then it started shuddering (this was all in the break-in period). Since then, everything has smoothed out. This clutch fully holds the 500 ft lbs of torque I'm currently demanding of it, no problem. The previous clutch would slip unpleasantly. I had a stock clutch previously. I decided to continue using the dual mass flywheel setup, because I like the smooth power application and the lack of chattering at idle. However, I have been told that significantly higher horsepower (50+ over what I have) and the twisting of the flywheel will mess up the readings of the crank position sensor, causing misfires. As far as I know, there still isn't a workaround to that, but I could be completely wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    The HPF clutch is good but will shudder when engaging 1st gear with some rev, you basically need to quickly rev and release for it to be smooth from a standstill. Overrall I like the clutch for a street car. The only thing that worries me is the DMF which I seized recently and had to replace with another.
    OEM DMF is busted & can't handle abuse. DMFW misfire workaround is to use COBB to disable misfire detection.. (Which is dangerous...)
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    This would be my worry. Would the same clutch paired with the OE Dual-Mass flywheel chatter? Or is this clutch beyond the OE setup?

A 6MT 535i is in our future and my first modifications would be coilovers, clutch and LSD to beat up the stockers.
    I would assume most of the noise is coming from the new steel flywheel and with the OEM DMF, it would be a hell of a lot quieter but still a bit of clutch chatter from the clutch itself. The problem with the OE dmf is the springs and all the wear/tear parts inside the actual flywheel, I remember someone on this board took it apart and found it to have no place in high performance applications. A-side from the noise though it is a pretty damn good clutch, I like how it feels and shifts although my ears bleed if I idle with my foot off of the clutch pedal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
    I would assume most of the noise is coming from the new steel flywheel and with the OEM DMF, it would be a hell of a lot quieter but still a bit of clutch chatter from the clutch itself. The problem with the OE dmf is the springs and all the wear/tear parts inside the actual flywheel, I remember someone on this board took it apart and found it to have no place in high performance applications. A-side from the noise though it is a pretty damn good clutch, I like how it feels and shifts although my ears bleed if I idle with my foot off of the clutch pedal.
    Thanks for the insight continue5. The noise you describe is a deal-breaker. I can prepare to replace the DMFW when the new clutch goes in.

Because wife's car (and we are old).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not again...Click here to enlarge

Maybe a sticky thread should be made with a discussion about this...otherwise there will be a new thread every time a clutch fails.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    OEM DMF is busted & can't handle abuse. DMFW misfire workaround is to use COBB to disable misfire detection.. (Which is dangerous...)
    It is not dangerous at all Click here to enlarge who said its dangerous? its an emissions feature that causes a fuel cut...in fact cutting fuel out at high load like what happens with misfire detection ON is MORE dangerous to the motor than setting misfire detection to off and having the car tell you its not running right..

Having said that it seems the dmfw indeed does break down. I swapped my setup out as I didn't feel safe running it at the strip with tons of torque and having it snap in half cutting floor and flying up through the cabin Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    Not again...Click here to enlarge

Maybe a sticky thread should be made with a discussion about this...otherwise there will be a new thread every time a clutch fails.
    Agree
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Agree
    A stick clutch discussion? I don't know if that is necessary.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    I've only trusted 1 company when it comes to clutch/diff/driveline stuff, and thats OS Giken. Look into a super single. It should be more than enough to hold
    got source for it?

there's an OSG twin kit that's been 'in production' with the SMFW fabrication for over a year now...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    OS G Would be legit. However they don't have n54 options yet. (I would have loved an OSG dual.)

HPF Reportedly used SouthBend for their clutches. Perhaps you can contact them.

I had an ACT; it didn't hold up. The change in engagement point was painful.

My Dual CM is lots of fun and hold is insane. I raised my RPM idle points and that did not address the lightweight flywheel rattle it is audible both in and out of the cabin. Engagement is tricky to master. The company itself is a pain to deal with, they don't honor time estimates, their QA people are $#@! and everything takes forever. I still enjoy it & believe it to be the most 'badass clutch available.'

SPEC Stage 3+ Sounds like a great option with little sacrifice for a street car.
    mmm didn't think so - only OSG for N54 is the twin plate from advan which isn't even for sale properly yet...

what do you think of the CM twin plate? - any more to add?

since i'm shooting for bulk power, and don't want to have a hard to drive single plate... i'm after a twin plate.. and the only one i can find currently for sale/in production is the clutchmasters option (would spec have one?)

really? i've only read about people welding them on the strip... nothing but 'i welded mine' or good reviews on low power/torque cars.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A stick clutch discussion? I don't know if that is necessary.
    a sticky with links to *discussion*

is always good IN THEORY

in reality -- it's hard to get people to consistently use said post... harder than getting them to use the search function...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    in reality -- it's hard to get people to consistently use said post... harder than getting them to use the search function...
    Exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    really? i've only read about people welding them on the strip... nothing but 'i welded mine' or good reviews on low power/torque cars.
    Same stuff I have read honestly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hmm I thought I read nothing but good stuff about HPF, maybe that was in relation to the feel and engagement of the clutch, rather than drag strip performance.....

I know this topic has been discussed but I was hoping for updates and maybe some reviews on current setups. I personally hate "sticky" threads bc they get long and aren't updated.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ive got a Spec S2+ with Steel SMFW.. so far ive got about 300miles on it. At first it had a bit of chatter and engagment was not as smooth. Since then its great, feels alot like stock, pedal pressure is a bit more than stock but still easy to drive. The clutch is very smooth (stock feeling) and has little to no chatter at idle. The only time i can hear chatter is when im idling in my garage, otherwise i hear nothing. So far ive very happy with the clutch, of course ive only got 300miles on it so we will see.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast