Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Anyone in NYC willing to check out a car for me? also PPI

I'm trying to pick up an M5 and the one I'm eyeing is in Brooklyn.. I'm quite short on time so would anybody be willing to go to the dealership its at and survey its condition for me before I go there myself? I can give some compensation for your time.

Also does anybody have suggestions for a good PPI? Should I ask a BMW dealership or have an independent do it?

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to regional let's see but you definitely should look at the carfax first.

Hopefully someone can help you out and you are serious.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    What dealer? Any specific concerns or things you want looked over? I might be able to get out there on a quiet day & bother some fam
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have seen the carfax for it.. not really telling any stories. What I'm really trying to look at is the service history but my local dealership won't give that up. As for seriousness.. evidently I'm quite indecisive but I'm quite set on this car.

The dealer is Kings Auto show on Chruch ave. Pretty much looking at condition inside and out, wear and tear, tire and wheel condition, clutch health and the status' for all the various components that show up in iDrive.

I asked for this so that I might be able to squeeze in a purchase before the month is up and perhaps strike a better deal. That seems very unlikely anyways at this point so I want to go straight to the PPI and see the car myself next weekend before pulling the trigger. Anyone have suggestions for that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're in New Jersey. Drive up there and quit wasting time. At most it's a 3 hour drive. Spending that kind of money on a car as expensive as the M5, and you won't even drive there. Find the time you'll be much better off.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Take it to AutoCouture motoring in fairlawn, NJ...they can do a ppi for you.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe if you offered to pay someone? I mean it's going to take probably 2 hours out of a person's day when all is said and done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Took the chance to go there myself and only arrived about 10 minutes before the dealership closed. I only asked for help because I can really only go on sundays when they close up early. If someone closeby had gone to just give me a quick overview of the cars condition and perhaps had notified me about how its motor has absolutely no oil in it in its current state I could have crossed it off my list and saved myself about 4 hours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not to disappoint you, but I could've told you that buying a Euro car in the NYC area that's not Manhattan (especially a non-manufacturer affiliated dealer) was gonna be an awful idea. Also, the CarFax report is really "iffy" -- The car has been owned in Florida, was in an accident (with no details regarding airbag deployment), then a year later was sold at an auction & has been sitting on this dealer's lot since December (5 months+).

Perfect example, I went to look at an X3 at Eastchester Chrysler Jeep Dodge. As soon as I got there, the place reeked of scam. Immediately the tried asking me how much I'd put down, would I finance, would I trade in, blah blah blah, and not even seeing the vehicle! After almost a 1/2 hr explaining to the guy I won't talk numbers until I see the car, we walked outside. Get to the car, it won't start, the radio doesn't work when they jumped it, the car refused to idle properly, and the oil had a tar like consistency.
    Last edited by benzy89; 06-02-2013 at 11:31 PM.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Also, the CarFax report is really "iffy" -- The car has been owned in Florida, was in an accident (with no details regarding airbag deployment), then a year later was sold at an auction & has been sitting on this dealer's lot since December (5 months+).
    That is quite a bit iffy.... to say the least.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, you never know until you see it in person. Dealer seemed alright since they sell a bunch of other higher end cars, and maybe it is, but only a visit lasting longer than 10 minutes would prove that.

About its condition, it had a stone chip on the hood, two small scratches on the rear bumper, a slightly damaged front pass. tire sidewall, but absolutely no curbrash, and its interior is in great shape. What really had me worried was the car asking for a quart of oil immediately after I turned it on.. after some quick google search this seems normal since these cars are always burning oil, which I had known but the oil gauge in iDrive made it seem like it had nothing in it. I didn't get to test drive it given the time I had but I took the ten minutes I had to quickly start it and make sure that everything works, SMG shifts into gear and moves the car, smooth idle, etc.. but obviously no verdict until a thorough test drive is done. I'm going to be in upper jersey to look at a couple of 335s so I do plan to go back and get a better feel for the car.

As for the carfax and accident damage, yeah the info is quite vague and I want to find a way to see if the car has been compromised, this is obviously an area to be very careful about but I also hope it could work in my favor when negotiating price. Service history would be really helpful at this point, but the dealership where the car is at doesn't have it, and my local BMW dealership will not release such records, even after a visit in person. If anyone would let me know of a dealer that is willing to help me out I would much appreciate it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Drunkenup Click here to enlarge
    As for the carfax and accident damage, yeah the info is quite vague and I want to find a way to see if the car has been compromised, this is obviously an area to be very careful about but I also hope it could work in my favor when negotiating price. Service history would be really helpful at this point, but the dealership where the car is at doesn't have it, and my local BMW dealership will not release such records, even after a visit in person. If anyone would let me know of a dealer that is willing to help me out I would much appreciate it.
    The biggest thing to be worried about with the accident is if there is any unreported structural (ie, the frame) damage. Any PPI will be able to determine whether (and probably) what was damaged on the car and if it was appropriately repaired. Also, if you take to any legit dealer, they'll probably be able to provide you with the BMW Service History when the PPI is done at their dealer.