Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Belt noise when cold or humid?

Is it a sign to change the belt or a wear bearing from a pulley or accessories? Any way to debug it easily?

By the way my belt was changed 35 000km ago for making the same noise. Solve the problem for almost 2 years but it seems quick to get it back.

Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    What do you mean by belt noise? Similar to a supercharger whine? Does it rise with RPM or is it constant?

If the same belt is wearing out again so quickly, I have a feeling you might have a bigger issue than a belt, rather whatever is causing it to go out.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bump
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It whines but not like a supercharger since it is a very acute sound. It follows the RPM and disappear over 2k rpm. 3 months ago the dealer lubricated the pulleys and it disappeared for weeks until now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DanMtl Click here to enlarge
    Is it a sign to change the belt or a wear bearing from a pulley or accessories? Any way to debug it easily?

By the way my belt was changed 35 000km ago for making the same noise. Solve the problem for almost 2 years but it seems quick to get it back.

Thanks.
    I have the same problem as of recently...When the car is cold I have what seems to be the belt making a little bit of noise that sounds similar to the rotations of the belt...Cant confirm if it happens when "humid"...

It only started recently for me about the last <1000 miles....one of my buddies with a 335i had the same issue and he sprayed "lubricant" on it and it quiets it down....Obviously not a solution LOL but it works if the noise bugs you....I remember he carried it around in his trunk and would pop his hood before cruises and spray it was pretty funny but now I have the same issue haha...He drove many thousand miles with it just for your information and never got the chance to swap the belt before he sold the car...

I have already added it on my todo list to swap the belt...Should get to it within a couple weeks hopefully...

Hopefully I can ride it out without any issues...So far so good and I have been driving the car hard like always....No issue for me but I'm gonna swap the belt soon anyways...
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also think it is the belt since it solved my problem the first time. The only things that bugs me is it came back quickly after the new belt was installed. First time at 65 000 km (40k mi) and the second time at 100 000km (60k mi). The funny thing is I also sprayed stuff on it and it worked for a certain period of time and came back soon.

Keep me inform if you find another solution. By the way, my car is a 2008 with Novembre 2007 build date.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also think it is the belt since it solved my problem the first time. The only things that bugs me is it came back quickly after the new belt was installed. First time at 65 000 km (40k mi) and the second time at 100 000km (60k mi). The funny thing is I also sprayed stuff on it and it worked for a certain period of time and came back soon.

Keep me inform if you find another solution. By the way, my car is a 2008 with Novembre 2007 build date.
    Ill keep you updated when I swap the belt....

By the way my car is a MY 2007, Build date 9/06
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just ordered a kit from ecs with belt,pulleys and tensioner. About $150 if I remember correctly but after inspecting it I could see the bearings wearing out. Ill post part # when I get home. I'm having mine done while turbos are being installed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    Just ordered a kit from ecs with belt,pulleys and tensioner. About $150 if I remember correctly but after inspecting it I could see the bearings wearing out. Ill post part # when I get home. I'm having mine done while turbos are being installed.
    Did you also experiment noise from the belt?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah its still there. waiting on vargas stage 2 to arrive and will get it installed. It kind of freaks me out due to issue with power steering pump bracket that happens to some cars. Mine seems to be fine and it was the first thing i looked at. Ithink my noise is coming from the tensioner assy. or lower idler pulley both of which come in kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Tensioner is Part#55090 Deflection pulley is part#55092 Lower idler is part#55091 and youll need a belt of your choice. If it were me i would buy the whole kit. Wouldnt chance it leaving me stranded and that belt can do some damage.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you find a DIY for the N54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I haven't looked had planned on getting it changed while other work was being done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What you are hearing squeak is the pulley losing grip on the belt. The fact that it increases with RPM (to 2000 rpm) and changes with humidity moisture are key here.

*If* your belt is in good shape when you remove it next time, rough up the pulleys with steel wool or an S.O.S. pad. No need to remove any material on the pulleys, you're just giving the belt some meat to adhere to and the temperamental squeak will go away.

Never lubricate the serpentine system - it can cause more damage than any temporary squeak will drive you nuts. Your SA needs some training!

Did I mention this fix is free- outside of a few minutes of time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the feedback, that something I wasn't aware; Definitely something to look at.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the feedback, that something I wasn't aware; Definitely something to look at.
    No worries. This phenomenon is perfectly normal. Over time the pulleys get glazed and even brand new belts will slip.

While the belt is off, check each pulley for excessive axial play/runout as they can make funny noises too. What you described sounds like you have a glazed pulley somewhere; however, it is nice to be sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    What you are hearing squeak is the pulley losing grip on the belt. The fact that it increases with RPM (to 2000 rpm) and changes with humidity moisture are key here.

*If* your belt is in good shape when you remove it next time, rough up the pulleys with steel wool or an S.O.S. pad. No need to remove any material on the pulleys, you're just giving the belt some meat to adhere to and the temperamental squeak will go away.

Never lubricate the serpentine system - it can cause more damage than any temporary squeak will drive you nuts. Your SA needs some training!

Did I mention this fix is free- outside of a few minutes of time?
    Great post....

After the noise I jacked up the car and first my belt is probably due for a replacement....second I noticed the pulleys looking wornalmost kinda rustedish in some spots....

Glad to hear some concrete background on it and will stick with the plan of swapping belt since I need to anyways...and rough up the pulleys like you said and see if it comes back...

Thanks again! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Great post....

After the noise I jacked up the car and first my belt is probably due for a replacement....second I noticed the pulleys looking wornalmost kinda rustedish in some spots....

Glad to hear some concrete background on it and will stick with the plan of swapping belt since I need to anyways...and rough up the pulleys like you said and see if it comes back...

Thanks again! Click here to enlarge
    Thank you. I am always a fan of a "fix" that is free or dirt cheap. Lubricants on the serpentine system are always a big no-no. I am shocked service advisors still perform these bandaid fixes (with potentially dangerous side-effects). Do be careful with the rusted pulley as you may find that it developed a flat-spot after rust clean-up.

I hope it works out for your squeaks!