Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Wastegate noise on ACCELERATION only - fixed

I had a weird issue: On acceleration only, at a very specific RPM down low, the wastegates would make noise - it made the car sound broken. If i put the car on map 0 (procede in stock mode), the sound would go away completely and it would sound correct. This was 100% software related.

To fix this I edited the wastegate duty cycle table and just raised the values down in the lower load area and the sound completely went away. Problem is 100% fixed.

I know some JB4 ISO guys have been reporting the same issue... this should fix it for you too. I assume Terry will have to adjust that map for you.
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Was done a couple weeks ago. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

It seemed people were still complaining about it on e90post. Anyways, i'm happy it was such a simple fix.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

yep latest 20D ISO fixed the rattle for me. completely gone.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

So, you added DC to the WGDC table down low, but won't that cause severe negative DC corrections where you added it? I thought the procede only has 5% "on the fly" authority for DC correction.

I had that midrange rattle for so long, I just propped the WGs open more, at the expense of lag, for less rattle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Well i'm no tuner - that's for sure.. but drivability hasn't seemed to change and I'm not overshooting boost or anything like that, the sound is just gone.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Actually, I think the WGDC table is the base table and DC Corrections is the 5% authority to correct from the base table. I'd be interested in seeing a log with Boost DC Correction logged though. Otherwise shoot me the map and I'll take a log this weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    It seemed people were still complaining about it on e90post. Anyways, i'm happy it was such a simple fix.
    Nothing is ever simple when dealing with thousands of cars! But if you are not over boosting down low, etc, then its probably fine.

Normally guys who use e90post are the ones that don't know about software updates or how to set things properly. They should really be reading n54tech instead. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Actually, I think the WGDC table is the base table and DC Corrections is the 5% authority to correct from the base table. I'd be interested in seeing a log with Boost DC Correction logged though. Otherwise shoot me the map and I'll take a log this weekend.
    my map won't work for you. it's set up to work with cobb, and it's for my vargas turbos. (unless you're running the same setup?)
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Doh, forgot you had VTT Stg2s. I'll give er a try this weekend anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm surprised you're getting the rattle with the Vargas Turbos. I thought the after market turbos were much better in that regard? Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Please read my original post again. It is not a hardware issue, the rattle is caused by the software. Turn the procede to stock mode and the noise goes away.

Anyways, the noise is completely gone now with the slight adjustment of the wgdc map.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    It is not a hardware issue, the rattle is caused by the software.
    I got that in your initial post, but I was always under the understanding that the aftermarket turbos were not as susceptible to WG rattle regardless of the software. Guess not...
    Click here to enlarge
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

It's different than normal WG rattle. No noise at idle or anything like that. Not caused by loose wastegate components or whatever. I feel like it was the flapper was just at a point that under certain frequency it would vibrate and hit... for a very short period of time during acceleration down low. I could be totally wrong, but that's pretty much what it felt/sounded like. With the stock DME (or cobb only) it dealt with the wastegate differently down there (kept it more open?) so it didn't ever hit.

anyways, all fixed. all good now
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It was a good find and I'm sure it can help both Procede and G5 ISO users.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Terry did it already with 20D. My car has always made this noise and I never thought it was the DC mapping itself. Makes sense though, depending on WG position, WGDC and exhaust pulsations, you're getting the perfect storm for rattle. Hindsight is always 20/20 lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Terry did it already with 20D. My car has always made this noise and I never thought it was the DC mapping itself. Makes sense though, depending on WG position, WGDC and exhaust pulsations, you're getting the perfect storm for rattle. Hindsight is always 20/20 lol.
    I'm waiting around to for addl feedback but I may add that min PWM curve scalar to the wheel control menu. Maybe make it user adjustable from 25% to 40%, for example. It's currently set around 32%. Too high causes problems but too low causes other problems. 32% seems to be just right for most.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I'm waiting around to for addl feedback but I may add that min PWM curve scalar to the wheel control menu. Maybe make it user adjustable from 25% to 40%, for example. It's currently set around 32%. Too high causes problems but too low causes other problems. 32% seems to be just right for most.
    In for user adjustables however you'll probably end up creating even more work for yourself with in experienced users.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dirty Dog Click here to enlarge
    In for user adjustables however you'll probably end up creating even more work for yourself with in experienced users.
    Yes I know. It's a double edged sword. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Does the wastegate adaption impact the rattle fix on light accel? I noticed the rattle has come back after a few days. Odd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Does the wastegate adaption impact the rattle fix on light accel? I noticed the rattle has come back after a few days. Odd.
    No that doesn't effect low throttle stuff. Only default wastegate duty (until boost goes over 1.5psi), and then the base duty cycle values after that.
    Burger Motorsports