Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Forum Trashes BMW Owner Who Had M3 Delivered In Wrong Shade Of Blue

wow!

http://jalopnik.com/internet-unsympa...ium=socialflow

If you are dealing with a high-priced luxury or sports car, it is almost 100% impossible to complain about that vehicle on the Internet without someone alleging that you sound like a whiny prick. One M3 buyer who says he got screwed over by BMW is learning that lesson right now.
    P

M3Post user b-thumper put up a thread over the weekend titled "My Euro Delivery Disaster." B-thumper explained that he's driven a last-gen M3 for the past eight years, and for the past four years he has obsessed over one car: a current-generation M3 in "Atlantis Blue with Blue deviated stitching and the Individual Piano trim." He finally made his order and paid for European Delivery, where he'd pick up his car at the BMW Museum, then take it for a lap around the legendary Nurburgring.
    P

The only problem was when he arrived at the museum, he says he found his car was AtlanticBlue, not Atlantis Blue.
    P

Click here to enlarge
    S
    EXPAND
    P

Then b-thumper appropriately freaked out.
    P

I RUN to my laptop and check all my paperwork/emails. YES, they all say Atlantis Blue. Before I had narrowed it down to the final color choice, it even mentioned the paint code in earlier emails.

At this point, I start to notify the front desk of my situation. They kindly refer me to the gentleman who will be doing my delivery experience. He could not have been nicer, but I made it clear; we have the wrong color car!
    P
    B-thumper explains in his post that the error was at the factory in Germany. This was BMW's fault, and they try and make it right.
    P

There is talk of possibly repainting the car (which I expressed as an impossibility). I want a new M3, as originally specified.
    P
    After a nine hour wait, BMW allegedly went on to lend him a new BMW X1 to drive, which he used to lap the 'Ring after all. He is not satisfied.
    1P

It's an okay touring car, but woefully in adequate for any kind of track use. I wanna cry!
    P
    He says BMW then allowed him to drive the Atlantic Blue M3 as a loaner while they go ahead and build him a new M3 in the proper Atlantis Blue. There's one hitch: M3 production is ending in six weeks and b-thumper's personalized interior would take eight weeks to build. The only way to get the right combination is to swap the interior from the Atlantic Blue car to the Atlantis Blue one. A bodyshop would do the transfer and it just wouldn't be the same.
    P

Click here to enlarge
    S
    EXPAND
    P

B-thumper turned it down.
    P

Some options like swapping the interior from the existing car were offered, but much like repainting the car, it will never be 100% authentic and I can only imagine it will lead to a world of squeaks and rattles. It's not a stretch to say that the Individual program is the very reason I am buying an M3 and to have the interior missing is unacceptable.
    P
    In the end, b-thumper says he found himself not particularly bitter or angry, just determined to see his car built to his exact specifications for the price he originally paid (in full, before seeing the car, as is standard for BMW's European Deliveries).
    P

While I enjoyed my time in Germany, it ended up being thousands of dollars spent on the wrong vacation. Nobody has offered to reimburse me for my airfare or offer me any financial compensation for the inconvenience. Unless you consider two free tickets to the BMW museum financial compensation.

In any event, this is not resolved at the time of this posting and I am posting my story as a cautionary tale and as a public plea to BMW to make this right. They are trying to make things right, but I am having some serious doubts. Here we are, more than 9 days later and I am left with a hope and a prayer that they can build my car as desired.

It almost goes without saying that the outcome of my situation will greatly influence my desire to own any future BMW vehicles.
    P
    The early responses on the forum were supportive, and even b-thumper's dealership (Steve Thomas BMW in CA) chimed in.
    P

I can PROMISE you we are doing everything we can to make this right. We have told BMW that we want the car delivered in the specs as it was ordered and now we are waiting to hear back from the upper levels at BMW. We are dedicated to fight for whats right, but we are at the mercy of BMW.
    P
    It didn't take long, though, before people started calling the whole story a "first world problem."
    P

what if (as it appears in this situation) that the die has been cast and there is no going back? human error caused this, and there is no other way to build this car at the factory? it seems as though the window has closed. so now have to figure the plan b. sucks. but that's life.

first world problems indeed.
    P
    Truth2k05 also tried to put things in a harsh perspective.
    P

The fact that you are in Europe far outweighs the color of the car and a different color of thread on the stitching. Put the finest paint and leather interior on a Prius and see if that enhances your driving experience. It's an M3.

The op has solutions, get a refund, get another car, get over it.

First world problems, by the way 80k ain't squat.

To everyone reading, let this be a reminder to ask for a paint sample, when asking for an individual color.
    P
    Personally, I sympathize with b-thumper. Think of spending four years designing and preparing your absolute dream car. B-thumper must have gone through hours a day photoshopping how the two-tone blue interior would have looked, or contemplating exactly which color complemented the subtle bodywork extensions of the M3.
    P

Click here to enlarge
    P

Surely there were countless nights where he stayed late at work, clocking in overtime to be sure he could afford his dream Atlantis Blue M3. Think of all the birthday parties he missed, or how many times he never hung out with his friends on those long nights in the office.
    P

He would have missed that one barbecue all of his buddies threw back in spring 2011. There was a cute brunette at that barbecue. She was nice, and understanding, and she was restoring a vintage BMW 3.0CS her father gave to her. She needed help on her project. B-thumper could have given her that help. She could have been the one, b-thumper. She could have been the one.
    P

So I absolutely and completely feel for b-thumper. I do. It's just important that we all learn a lesson from his forum post. No matter how right you are, or how wronged you've been, if you complain about some part of the experience of owning an expensive car on the Internet, forum users will pour out of the woodwork to criticize you. There is utterly no way you can describe being handed the keys to a new car to take on a lap of the Nurburgring and say "I wanna cry" without people thinking you're spoiled.
    P

It's just the way of the Internet, and we should all remember that.
    P

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn that sucks. What a difference one wrong letter can make.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Personally I would be pretty ticked as well. But I would probably just let them repaint it and be done with it. But then demand $10k in a BMW Performance gift card Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Personally I would be pretty ticked as well. But I would probably just let them repaint it and be done with it. But then demand $10k in a BMW Performance gift card Click here to enlarge
    well, right now i say i would have been ok with repaint and swap interiors, but i never ordered a specific one.. id like to though. either they would half-ass the work to rush it, or take extra care because of the situation.. id be apprehensive too.. but realisticly, one way or the other, the builders know which car they are building now.. i think id just take the repaint and swap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really hate that "First World Problems" cliché.

Seems you are not allowed to complain about anything any more, and are expected to 'suck it up', especially on that forum.

In this situation, I'd probably keep the car, and demand sufficient compensation (perhaps to cover vinyl wrap, or a repaint). Lots of people are scared of body shop paint, but in many cases it is better than OEM paint. I had my bumper redone, and they had a hard time matching the factory orange peel because it was so bad.

I have never ordered a factory car, I just buy something close to what I want because I'm impatient. Then it's modified to how I want it after.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would have had it wrapped, got 10k off and had a good holiday on BMW.
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I really hate that "First World Problems" cliché.

Seems you are not allowed to complain about anything any more, and are expected to 'suck it up', especially on that forum.

In this situation, I'd probably keep the car, and demand sufficient compensation (perhaps to cover vinyl wrap, or a repaint). Lots of people are scared of body shop paint, but in many cases it is better than OEM paint. I had my bumper redone, and they had a hard time matching the factory orange peel because it was so bad.

I have never ordered a factory car, I just buy something close to what I want because I'm impatient. Then it's modified to how I want it after.
    First world problems is the epitome of a 'silencing technique'. There are others, but criticizing or making fun of someone else's experiences based on the fact that 'someone has it worse' is pure inanity. If you take the whole 'first world problems' bull$#@! to its eventual conclusion, you can insult anyone for anything because someone ALWAYS has it worse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    would they have stripped the car and really repainted everything?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    First world problems is the epitome of a 'silencing technique'. There are others, but criticizing or making fun of someone else's experiences based on the fact that 'someone has it worse' is pure inanity. If you take the whole 'first world problems' bull$#@! to its eventual conclusion, you can insult anyone for anything because someone ALWAYS has it worse.
    Agreed. I could start using it on my customers whenever they complain. "First world problems man, now GTFO!"
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, haven't heard of someone's car getting painted wrong especially in the individual program... I would take some kind of extended warranty, and get a repaint or wrap or interior swap.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2100+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I don't see any of his request to be obsurd. What does "first world problems" have to do with him paying for an expensive customer car that was made wrong. You see people complaining about less like door dings or scratches, yet you go off on a guy that got a car that is not even the right color he ordered it in? His request to have an entire car rebuilt is totally legitiment to me. He had no fault in the process, so BMW should build him a new one. He also brings up a good point when talking about the car not being the same with just swapped interior. The custom seats will probably not show up in the build and possibility of human error installing the seats is probably greater. ISO certifications are put in place for a reason. I hope that guy gets his dream M3 built the right way the second time around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're paying top dollar for BMW Individual (which is basically a custom spec ordered car), BMW should deliver the car as ordered. They clearly dropped the ball, and regardless of the M3 ending it's production run, they need to make this right by the customer.

No discount or interior swap is going to "cure" the feeling of disappoint this customer had when he went to pick up his special ordered car.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Funny to read the comments, "why you buying a car at the end of its life cycle anyway?"

Maybe the guy wants the end of dieing breed, a true M engineered na motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    (not a fan of the interior)

but i must say, i'd be pissed too. I mean the atlantic blue isn't bad, but IMO it just doesn't look right on the m3. It would be fine on an x1/3/5, or a e90 3-series, but that color just flops on the aggressiveness of the m3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guy should get what he ordered and paid for that simple. If the option of a refund is on the table I would take that.

I mean he ordered a certain color and didn't get it. I made sure to get the color I wanted not just whatever color they gave me. Even if they happened to be similar shades.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    typical M3post bull$#@!... that forum even makes e90post look like a scholarly institution. Point is... guy paid a fortune for a new car and should have gotten exactly what he asked for. BTW... the interior pictured above is the nastiest thing I have ever seen.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The interior is hideous! It looks like something West Coast Customs would do. The guys at BMW probably did it on purpose to $#@! with the guy just for having horrible taste.

Anyways, he is an idiot if he didn't take the option of the interior swap onto another car... I mean the people that BUILD the car were going to do it, if someone would be able to do it right it would be them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    guy paid a fortune for a new car and should have gotten exactly what he asked for.
    What's so weird about this? Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would be SO pissed..... The other forum is a bunch of pansies and $#@!s. If you spent $80k plus airfaire and a ton of time on your dream car, you would want it to be the right color (which, by the way, is a HUGE aspect of the car). $#@! the people condescending him for that
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    I would be SO pissed..... The other forum is a bunch of pansies and $#@!s. If you spent $80k plus airfaire and a ton of time on your dream car, you would want it to be the right color (which, by the way, is a HUGE aspect of the car). $#@! the people condescending him for that
    Ya he did European delivery too which means this is very special and a vacation. I mean, it's a big deal with a lot of time and money invested. It should be a perfect experience. What's there to hate about that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i guess im all alone in that I LOOOOOVE that interior Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Poor guy. I would cry too..
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree that he should get what he ordered. The guy should have taken the interior swap and then demanded the tourist delivery discount that BMW offers on the non-M cars.

I personally don't have any sympathy about an X1 on the 'ring. Tourist laps were canceled due to snow when I did my Euro delivery. I'd have been happy to go around in a Fiat. Click here to enlarge
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    as much as going all the way to germany to pick up your new car that you've been counting down the days to get and it being the wrong color sucks...it's still hilarious...i'm sure it's something he will get a laugh out of eventually...he did seem kind of whiney though,complaining that the interior will squeak Click here to enlarge
    m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it looks good to me lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast