Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wilsodh Click here to enlarge
    BigM62, we meet again. So much hate. Click here to enlarge

I'm the owner of Abdulla's ride, and I've had the car for three years. It has been an amazing car, and I will never sell it. Abdulla sold the car because the extreme heat in Bahrain was a bit much for a high-boost M5 putting putting down over 700whp on pump gas. Plus Abdulla was itching for the e60. Abdulla shipped the car to BMW San Diego to put it on the market, and the sale was handled by Bill and the car's engine builder, who works as a master tech at BMW SD. I bought the car after checking it out very carefully (compression/leakdown, sitting in traffic on a hot day, hours of interrogation, etc.)

What can I say, the car has changed my car life and has completely scratched my itch for speed and power. Where else is there for a 5 series bimmer lover to go? She's got the works. She drives like a dream, the clutch is the best I've ever had (UUC), the braking is flawless, and the acceleration for a two-ton lux barge still blows me away. She's not state-of-the-art in terms of engine management and fuel (piggy-back with 16 injectors), but the current set up totally gets the job done and I have no immediate plans to change it. If/when RMS ever gets it together with the '3rd Gen' manifold, I will probably look into upgrading. I really like the new design, as it should represent a step up in both appearance and function. I await Basil's results with much anticipation.

Apart from leisurely plans for upgrades, the car is a dream and doesn't need a thing. I have experienced the limitations of the RMS 'Gen 1' in-plenum aftercooler design, which means it probably isn't capable of pressurization much above 13-14 lbs. So if I want to upgrade to the V7 supercharger, it would go hand-in-hand with the new manifold.

I should also mention that Bill has always been a cell phone call away with any questions or issues that have come up. Although he built the car, what, 6-7 years ago, and D/A got out of the M5 biz, he still recalls many fine details about the build and has been a valuable resource over the years.

So, the naysayers will suggest I'm rushing to Bill's defense and waxing about how much I love the car, while in fact I've had nothing but problems. But nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm crazy about the car for a reason: it is a magnificent piece of work that totally delivers. There is nothing else quite like it on the planet, and Bill should be proud to have created it.

Cheers

Dave
    Dave

Welcome to BB and thanks for your inout. Im glad Abdullah's car is alive and kicking and in great condition. Click here to enlarge Wnjoy her in the best of health Bro and do a dyno Click here to enlarge

Ejaz
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

BigM62, we meet again. So much hate. Click here to enlarge
    LOL. You still a D/A fanboy I see. How many engines/rebuilds has your car had after RMS? Is it 2 or 3? Oh, and best of luck with your intake problems. Hope you and Bill fiqure that one out. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

. What did he really do?
    He was in charge of cashing the checks. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

OMG!!! This is too good to be true! From BFC:

Discovery Automotive - Wrecks Customers Heritage Ford GT - Anyone hear of this story?
    Has anyone here been following this story? Just went to the D/A site to find that it's now locked and password protected Click here to enlarge

Very long but incredibly interesting read:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-work-on-cars.

Photos from the link:
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    LOL. You still a D/A fanboy I see. How many engines/rebuilds has your car had after RMS? Is it 2 or 3? Oh, and best of luck with your intake problems. Hope you and Bill fiqure that one out. Click here to enlarge
    Ah, the black bile still issues forth from your weeny fingers I see Click here to enlarge The negative attitude that got you banned from the M5 board continues in earnest.

Call me a fan, but it is because I love the car Bill built, it totally rocks, no, I've not rebuilt the engine, and, wow, thanks for the encouragement about some minor boost leaks. That was a tough one. Click here to enlarge

I'm sorry your had such a tough childhood Jimmy. You might want to consider why you were so lonely. In all seriousness, best of luck with your own project. i do hope you are as happy with your ride as I have been with mine. In the end, we are all just car nuts.

I agree, exactly correct and these two vehicles remain the most visible DA "built" cars today. You bought the right car with top shelf parts.

Does Dinan count? A low compression and higher boost BMW is not really anything to pioneer so to speak. He ordered up custom pistons at a defined compression level, you could technically just skip him entirely and call up JE or Mahle yourself and do the same thing.

I definitely agree, the S62 block isn't an ideal candidate for boost. However, sleeving a BMW V8 is also nothing new.
    Thanks for the comments. Well, maybe sleeving the block and building the first 800 hp S62 for the street is no big deal to you, but it certainly impressed the hell out of a lot of people, and still does! Dinan didn't touch the engine internals. Bill was the first to open things up with forged internals, blueprinting, cams, heads, secondary injectors, the works. Not saying someone else couldn't do it, but he was the first to get in and actually do it and produce a great product.

I agree, having the right people do the work is important and they deserve the credit for their work. Bill working as a middleman, which is really what you are stating regarding relationships, is all he did. The technical expertise, design, and labor all belongs to other parties. I think the more we dwell on this the more apparent it becomes Bill is getting far more credit than he deserves for what truly is an amazing vehicle that you have.
    Couldn't differ more. A middleman is a passive re-seller in a consumer chain. A product developer is the one who pulls everything together according to the specs of the customer, makes the right contacts, specs out the parts to make it work, leverages the expertise of specialty houses, builds the product, attends to details, tests, iterates, and QCs the outcome, innovates where necessary, and brings the product to reality. The cars were built in his own garage/shop. I'm not sure how you think this is being a 'middleman'. Turn wrenches? Of course he turns wrenches too. Its what the guy lives for.

I was wondering, would you mind putting up details on your motor setup in this forum? I haven't heard much about it in a while and would like to take a look if you have any pics as your car was one of the builds that had me thinking at one point that DA was not only worth the money but the premier place to take an S62 based vehicle.
    Sure, here are some highlights. I have to get back to work, but I'll dig around for some pix.

Cryo'd and blue-printed block by VAC MotorSports
    Darten flanged steel sleeves inserted into aluminum block
    Arias forged pistons (9.5:1), ceramic faced and Teflon coated skirts.
    Carrillo rods
    Ported and flow matched cylinder heads
    Over-sized stainless steel valves
    Schrick cams
    Fully-balanced rotating assembly (Rex Hutchinson Racing)
    Built to withstand 20 lbs boost
    Vortech race spec T1 supercharger
    Pre-loaded self-adjusting supercharger belt tensioner
    Custom fuel rail with secondary injectors in addition to primary injectors (16 total)
    AquaMist water injection system (two injectors)
    Air-water charge cooler with independent coolant supply (located inside the plenum)
    Velocity stacks with integrated injector bosses
    Electric fan conversion and auxillary oil cooler
    Nitrous intercooler fogger system
    Supersprint 4-1 coated headers, X-pipe, and cat-back system

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Dave

Welcome to BB and thanks for your inout. Im glad Abdullah's car is alive and kicking and in great condition. Click here to enlarge Wnjoy her in the best of health Bro and do a dyno Click here to enlarge

Ejaz
    Thanks Ejaz! Click here to enlarge Never really felt a need to dyno, but if I do a manifold upgrade with V7, I would want a before and after. I hope Abdulla doesn't sell his e60 ride. He needs a bad-ass black M5!

Cheers

Dave
    'El Diablo'
    00 Black/black DA s/c M5
    Carrillo rods, Arias pistons,
    Schrick cams, Vortech T-trim,
    Supersprint headers/exhaust,
    UUC, Koala driveshaft/differential,
    Dinan Stage 3 suspension, Brembo
    ~Built by Shadowman & Black M5~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Dave, We need to see pics of the car. I kinda miss it! Click here to enlarge Please post up some pics. I am really really happy that its giving you a good time. Enjoy it Brother.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much boost are you running? Why sleeve it if you are not running big boost? I thought I read problems about this car even after it went to DA..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey Dave, Remember: you lie down with dogs, you get fleas, brotha. And I was proud to be banned from M5Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Hey Dave, Remember: you lie down with dogs, you get fleas, brotha. And I was proud to be banned from M5Click here to enlarge
    Now Now Brother Lets be nice with each other. Dave's happy with his car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Now Now Brother Lets be nice with each other. Dave's happy with his car.
    LOL, so therefore eveyone of D/A's customers should be happy, because Dave is happy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

No dude! I mean come on! I said kets be happy for Dave! Who cares about DA! I know I dont!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    OMG!!! This is too good to be true! From BFC:

Discovery Automotive - Wrecks Customers Heritage Ford GT - Anyone hear of this story?
    Has anyone here been following this story? Just went to the D/A site to find that it's now locked and password protected http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/confused.gif

Very long but incredibly interesting read:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-work-on-cars.

Photos from the link:
    http://www.lambopower.com/forum/uplo...1287267348.jpg
    Bud, this has been on the front page for a while now Click here to enlarge : http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...eir-reputation

Keep that discussion in this thread: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showpost.php?p=65629

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

No dude! I mean come on! I said kets be happy for Dave! Who cares about DA! I know I dont!
    Exactly, he's happy with his car we don't need to pull him down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Exactly, he's happy with his car we don't need to pull him down.
    No one is pulling him down. Dave is (can be) a nice guy. But I think at this point in time, it is rather embarrassing to promote a comapny like D/A.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

No one is pulling him down. Dave is (can be) a nice guy. But I think at this point in time, it is rather embarrassing to promote a comapny like D/A.
    I agree with you as well Click here to enlarge

It is important to get all the experiences out there and he does have a car he is happy with. Also seems he did not have multiple motor rebuilds and the only issue was a boost leak.

Really, it boils down to DA having 2 good cars in their history to show that were billed BIG BUCKS and the rest have been... well, exactly as you stated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

good info here.

beep/weep da
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, such a nice forum! Everyone so concerned for my happiness Click here to enlarge

No one is pulling him down. Dave is (can be) a nice guy.
    LOL. C'mon Jimmy, you know you want to be nice too.... it'll be good for you.. Click here to enlarge

But I think at this point in time, it is rather embarrassing to promote a comapny like D/A.
    All I'm doing is recounting my experiences and the facts around the build of my car. I speak not of the experiences of others, nor make any recommendations. BTW, I have all the empathy in the world for Basil. He and I have stayed in touch, and I am enthusiastically awaiting the next incarnation of his car.

Click here to enlarge

Dave, We need to see pics of the car. I kinda miss it! Click here to enlarge Please post up some pics. I am really really happy that its giving you a good time. Enjoy it Brother.
    For some reason, I am having trouble uploading photos. I keep getting a red exclamation mark with no explanation. Even if I reduce the size, they still won't upload. Mysteriously, one photo did upload (below). Any ideas?
    In any case, this was at a car show in Peoria IL. The car was up against some pretty impressive competition, including a 100 pt Concours Jag. Still managed to score the 'Best Engine' award.

Here's a couple of videos. The first was lazily rolling into the throttle in second and then spinning at the top. Gotta love a centrifugal s/c... it gives the S62 grunt exactly where it normally wheezes: the top end.

To the question about boost/sleeves - the FI is set up for 14 psi. The s/c and crank pulleys are 2.8" and 6.5" respectively. This puts the impeller speed at 56,000 rpm at a 7,000 rpm engine speed, maxing out the V1. 14 psi is 2x higher than the Dinan S3, hence the low compression and sleeves. Going higher in boost would require the V7 s/c, which may be an upgrade down the road.

All - I just saw this announcement on the Ford GT Forum:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...Issue-Resolved

Dave

'El Diablo'
    00 Black/black DA s/c M5
    Carrillo rods, Arias pistons,
    Schrick cams, Vortech T-trim,
    Supersprint headers/exhaust,
    UUC, Koala driveshaft/differential,
    Dinan Stage 3 suspension, Brembo
    ~Built by Shadowman & Black M5~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Ah there she is! Damn Sexy! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I keep getting a red exclamation mark with no explanation. Even if I reduce the size, they still won't upload. Mysteriously, one photo did upload (below). Any ideas?
    We allow images upto 1920, so I don't know. If you click on the exclamation mark it should tell you what the reasoning is. I am almost certain it is a size issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bud, this has been on the front page for a while now Click here to enlarge : http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...eir-reputation

Keep that discussion in this thread: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showpost.php?p=65629
    Opps sorry, i have been busy with my new job, and have been away. It's good to be back. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To the question about boost/sleeves - the FI is set up for 14 psi. The s/c and crank pulleys are 2.8" and 6.5" respectively. This puts the impeller speed at 56,000 rpm at a 7,000 rpm engine speed, maxing out the V1. 14 psi is 2x higher than the Dinan S3, hence the low compression and sleeves. Going higher in boost would require the V7 s/c, which may be an upgrade down the road.
    I definitely understand the compression issue but I didnt know this motor needed sleeving for just <14psi.

All - I just saw this announcement on the Ford GT Forum:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...Issue-Resolved

Dave
    That thread has been removed because it was not accurate. Its not resolved and Ray (owner of the GT) posted that it is premature and it has not been settled yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can someone give me the Cliff Notes version of what happened to Carmens' M3 (Wize Gi, a moderator over on M3forum)? I remember the thread about that car went on forever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu Click here to enlarge
    Can someone give me the Cliff Notes version of what happened to Carmens' M3 (Wize Gi, a moderator over on M3forum)? I remember the thread about that car went on forever.
    Raced VF STG3 M3 (560whp dynojet)

Lost.

Blew up.

We pushed it into the show.

Got fed up parted it.

Customer bought it drive's it stock + moton's now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, just wow. I remember he basically wrote a blank check for that car....it had problems with the stock block so he decided to build. Lord only knows how much the build cost.

At least I got 15K miles of 600 hp fun out of my motor before it went. And I "only" spent $60K on the car (Naseem, the guy I bought it from had nearly 100K in the car before he got frustrated and sold it to me).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Raced VF STG3 M3 (560whp dynojet)

Lost.

Blew up.

We pushed it into the show.

Got fed up parted it.

Customer bought it drive's it stock + moton's now.
    Wow.... what a disaster.

You were there when it happened right so you know more about this than any of us. Did DA do anything to resolve that? Who tuned it?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast