Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Automatic transmission for E46 M3, any interest?

Manual transmissions cause a delay during gear shifts. Thats what made me choose an auto trans.

Even the SMG 2 shifts lazy, which can be seen on the g graph.

I have been using an automatic transmission for the last 1 year.

Auto transmissions shift with zero loss of time and zero loss of boost pressure.

This kit is not like a TH400, BMW 750i drivability.

Will there be interest for an auto transmission for E46 M3, supercharged or turbocharged?

I can build a kit where there will be an auto transmission, tcu (transmission control unit), propeller shaft, bell housing, torque converter up to the use of car, trans oil cooler and some more goodies.

Gear shift speeds, gear change engine speeds can be dialed in as per request.

Part throttle light load shifts are smooth.
    Wide open throttle shifts are darn fast.

Gains: faster times, faster shifting, no drama in traffic.

I was going to keep it for my M3s, but I may build complete kits for the public.
    E36 M3 Euro TT 60-130 mph 4.49 s
    E46 M3 3.6L TT 60-130 mph 4.22 s
    All Wheel drive M3 Twin Turbo
    997 TT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A good manual driver should be able to shift faster than the automatic. I've only ever seen a DCT have an advantage over a manual. Do you have any data?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    A good manual driver should be able to shift faster than the automatic. I've only ever seen a DCT have an advantage over a manual. Do you have any data?
    Exactly. Or for $30 you can have a modified CDV or clutch delay valve, so there is no delay in shifts. I shift quicker than an smg trans. I've driven 3 different smgs and have raced a friend in his. Although he didn't have the csl software when we ran.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

aha are you OK? thats not possible, just do a Google search.
    997 TT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Manual transmissions cause a delay during gear shifts. Thats what made me choose an auto trans.

Even the SMG 2 shifts lazy, which can be seen on the g graph.

I have been using an automatic transmission for the last 1 year.

Auto transmissions shift with zero loss of time and zero loss of boost pressure.

This kit is not like a TH400, BMW 750i drivability.

Will there be interest for an auto transmission for E46 M3, supercharged or turbocharged?

I can build a kit where there will be an auto transmission, tcu (transmission control unit), propeller shaft, bell housing, torque converter up to the use of car, trans oil cooler and some more goodies.

Gear shift speeds, gear change engine speeds can be dialed in as per request.

Part throttle light load shifts are smooth.
    Wide open throttle shifts are darn fast.

Gains: faster times, faster shifting, no drama in traffic.

I was going to keep it for my M3s, but I may build complete kits for the public.
    How are you planning on getting a torque converter to spin this fast? I thought there was a HUGE issue with heat spinning these (regardless of how well made) over 7kish RPM...

Cool thing if you do, just curious if this is real (has been done) - or is just a feeler at this point.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

17000-19000Usd so nobody will buy it,you do not even tell what brand the gearbox is.
    If you are going to sell something you have to mention as much details you can because the buyer has the right to now everything he buys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Exactly. Or for $30 you can have a modified CDV or clutch delay valve, so there is no delay in shifts. I shift quicker than an smg trans. I've driven 3 different smgs and have raced a friend in his. Although he didn't have the csl software when we ran.
    Mert is correct gentleman. Manual rowing will not hold a candle to a properly built auto transmission. Plenty of vbox data out there for you to mull over. Notice the force loss, and boost loss between each gear change with a manual or SMG box.

I am a manual guy myself but I understand its limitations.

Add boost and it is really not fair as the auto holds the boost and maintains higher g's between each gear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The m3 is a trackday car owned by the typical BMW purists. If you could make a DCT to work i think people would be interested, but I don't think very many want an auto in this type of car. Even the newer Corvettes are still selling a good portion of manuals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    Mert is correct gentleman. Manual rowing will not hold a candle to a properly built auto transmission. Plenty of vbox data out there for you to mull over. Notice the force loss, and boost loss between each gear change with a manual or SMG box.

Add boost and it is really not fair as the auto holds the boost and maintains higher g's between each gear.
    Not to disagree with you, but when it comes to a trans like the th series or a dct, then yes its not possible to beat rowing manually. The smg 2 is lazy, slow, and extremely outdated not to mention apples to oranges when compared to the dct. I would love to see shift data vs a manual. I have a vbox so soon enough I will be able to log my shifts for comparison.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Not to disagree with you, but when it comes to a trans like the th series or a dct, then yes its not possible to beat rowing manually. The smg 2 is lazy, slow, and extremely outdated not to mention apples to oranges when compared to the dct. I would love to see shift data vs a manual. I have a vbox so soon enough I will be able to log my shifts for comparison.
    Confused? I think you agreed with me in a backhanded way but I am not sure. It is tough to discern tone from email/forum posts/text messages. In case you read my post backwards, I put the SMG in the same category as a slow shifting noodle/stick. DCTs and purpose built Autos will always be quicker than either (SMG or Manual of any kind). I still prefer to row but I know it is slower.

Lots of data available for you Stinky to mull over from the same cars. From fully built T56 magnum rowers versus a Th350/400 (GT500 mustangs, Camaros etc) in the same car to stock 6mt versus a powerglide/th400 setup (2JZ Supras). Mustang, Corvette, Camaro and Supra worlds have had a couple of decades teasing out the differences.

The data I used to see was merely 60 ft times and 1/8 mile trap speeds when I first got into this debate (mid 90's). Lucky for you,
    Vbox logs are EVERYWHERE these days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Confused? I think you agreed with me in a backhanded way but I am not sure. It is tough to discern tone from email/forum posts/text messages. In case you read my post backwards, I put the SMG in the same category as a slow shifting noodle/stick. DCTs and purpose built Autos will always be quicker than either (SMG or Manual of any kind). I still prefer to row but I know it is slower.

Lots of data available for you Stinky to mull over from the same cars. From fully built T56 magnum rowers versus a Th350/400 (GT500 mustangs, Camaros etc) in the same car to stock 6mt versus a powerglide/th400 setup (2JZ Supras). Mustang, Corvette, Camaro and Supra worlds have had a couple of decades teasing out the differences.

The data I used to see was merely 60 ft times and 1/8 mile trap speeds when I first got into this debate (mid 90's). Lucky for you,
    Vbox logs are EVERYWHERE these days.
    Lol. I had to re read what you said originally. My bad I'm tired. Loooooong day. As far as data goes I was just talking in terms of smg vs manual.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Lol. I had to re read what you said originally. My bad I'm tired. Loooooong day. As far as data goes I was just talking in terms of smg vs manual.
    No worries. I don't take the interwebz too seriously.

I misinterpret posts daily when I plug away from the phone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Mert,

HPF offered this a while ago, and sold ZERO kits.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I will concede a purpose built automatic may have an advantage, but every single one I have ever driven has sacrificed a lot of daily driveability. Most automatics are slower than their manual counterparts. And I can't think of a single automatic of the kind we're talking about that would fit in a BMW. I guess I'm a skeptic but I would have to see a lot of data and information about the transmission used before I'd be a believer.

All I saw was the mention of "not like TH400" and claims that it will be faster than the manual. Maybe I shouldn't generalize so much, but I think most people reading this know what I meant.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I will concede a purpose built automatic may have an advantage, but every single one I have ever driven has sacrificed a lot of daily driveability. Most automatics are slower than their manual counterparts. And I can't think of a single automatic of the kind we're talking about that would fit in a BMW. I guess I'm a skeptic but I would have to see a lot of data and information about the transmission used before I'd be a believer.

All I saw was the mention of "not like TH400" and claims that it will be faster than the manual. Maybe I shouldn't generalize so much, but I think most people reading this know what I meant.

+ 10000000000000

keep sticking to your believes, you are on the right pathClick here to enlarge
    997 TT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The th400/350 is a bit long in the tooth these days but still performs well at the track. One could only imagine how the automatic transmissions that began life in this decade stack up to the first Turbo Hydramatics that showed up almost 50 years ago.

If Mert has mastered the logic, this would be a hell of an upgrade for the turbos. A better fit for the 335i out of the box but certainly doable with a bigger torque producing S54 with traction issues and poor 60 ft times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

If guy is interested in drag strip performance than yes go full auto, build boost at the line, and have consistent results. But it takes something away from the M3 and does make it a bit one-dimensional.

But if you are going 1000 whp you already have picked what you want the car for, which is straightline power.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The problem is that drag racing is not the strength of an M3 and M3 owners really don't crave an auto...

Click here to enlarge
    Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge
    The problem is that drag racing is not the strength of an M3 and M3 owners really don't crave an auto...
    I'm going to make a response to that video. That guy has no clue what he is doing.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm going to make a response to that video. That guy has no clue what he is doing.
    It was quite amusing. But honestly, the half-shafts should be able to take 2 3500 RPM launches. That's total crap if they're that weak.

That being said, I ruined a half-shaft on my Cobra on the street in 1st gear....so not completely unusual. He probably had wheel-hop and didn't back off.

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mdrobnak Click here to enlarge
    It was quite amusing. But honestly, the half-shafts should be able to take 2 3500 RPM launches. That's total crap if they're that weak.

That being said, I ruined a half-shaft on my Cobra on the street in 1st gear....so not completely unusual. He probably had wheel-hop and didn't back off.

-Matt
    He revved it up and essentially just let it go and that power had to go somewhere. Well... he dry hooked and broke stuff. That's user error, not the cars fault.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah. Didn't pay close enough attention. Makes sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The video is for entertainment value. Honestly, how many BMWs do you see at the drag strip? So while I'm sure an auto would be awesome for drag racers...how many conversion kits would you sell when M3 owners are constantly swapping in manuals in favor of the E46 SMG and E36 auto?

Although a crazy idea to me...its those who take chances who reap great rewards.
    Click here to enlarge
    Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge
    The video is for entertainment value. Honestly, how many BMWs do you see at the drag strip? So while I'm sure an auto would be awesome for drag racers...how many conversion kits would you sell when M3 owners are constantly swapping in manuals in favor of the E46 SMG and E36 auto?

Although a crazy idea to me...its those who take chances who reap great rewards.

Well, there is 1 serious inquiry at all.

I designed the auto system and I envy to sell it as wellClick here to enlarge

It kind of a unique Project and I dont want to sell it dont want to share it.
    It should make my own M3s special....
    997 TT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    It kind of a unique Project and I dont want to sell it dont want to share it.
    lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast