Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Are you observing significant HP drop only post-shift? You see this on both AT and MTs? Can you scope/log the signal to the fuel control valve to see what it's doing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Are you observing significant HP drop only post-shift? You see this on both AT and MTs? Can you scope/log the signal to the fuel control valve to see what it's doing?
    A dual trace log with the output of the high pressure sensor at the rail and the PWM input to the fuel pump might shed some light. Or if you could integrate a PWM input to the JB4 to log the HPFP control valve signal for testing, that would be even better.

If the pump is being controlled to lower fuel pressure, that is something that might be easily addressable in a future JB revision.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Terry, I understand you put the inline pump after the regulator so that the additional pressure won't be bled off. However, is it possible that the regulator is bleeding off fuel BEFORE it reaches the inline pump, subsequently lowering the effectiveness of that pump? Or do you think there is a low enough pressure zone after the in-tank pump to prevent fuel from being dumped before the inline unit?
    It's possible the DME is reducing PWM to the in tank pump as it sees the low pressure over target. But, since low pressure held a fairly steady 100psi, doesn't seem to be any issue there.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Is the valve you're talking about on the hpfp the one that regulates pressure? If so I'd definitely try to find the trend between pwm, pressure and rpm. Probably modifiable in a table still hidden, but "position after shift" pwm could be reason for crash/recovery... maybe in part due to low load targets? Regardless if you can find out how it works the answer could be simple and electrical/tuning for the post shift dip.
    I tried playing around with the high pressure target, and put a meter on the valve, but so far have not found much. When it falls under target it goes to 50% PWM. that may just be as much as it can open. I don't know how much fuel 50% PWM on that valve will let through so that needs to be tested next.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think both what Terry and Tony are seeing is pump capacity. Reducing restrictions has helped Tony but combination of volume and pressure is too much for the pump in the problem range. In my head I’m thinking higher pressure increases flow requirements (but fluid dynamics donk here).

Terry’s issue is also pump capacity, but potentially FCV is compounding it post-shift… going from closed to open could add delay in meeting pressure target. Lower loads there’s no prob since the pump has plenty of capacity headroom. EDIT: opening the fuel rail, HPFP outlet should help here.

This is all assuming LP side is solid steady and I still believe higher pressure won’t matter here, BUT whatever system is being used has to be able to handle higher pressures. I believe 72psi is considered higher pressure for the Walbro pumps, since they are designed to run at 40 to 50psi (I think), thus the series setup would prob be best.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder- does this happen on the 6mt during NLS?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

3 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I wonder- does this happen on the 6mt during NLS?
    It still drops but the only logs I have handy were E50. With E85 I have a feeling it will crash just as bad. Will need to search my email box to see if anyone has sent any in. The nice thing about the JB4 is every CSV log you export has every parameter in it along with native charting so its stupid easy to look to look at this stuff. The Cobb only guys always seem to struggle to produce any useful data. =/

Anyway another customer sent in a high boost log with the upgraded pump/rail, 100% E85. Fuel pressure crashing down low in steady state. Click here to enlarge Next week I'll try to log the same high boost map only with the 100ps inlet pressure to see if it improves things. Hopefully higher pressure to supplement the low end + the pump & rail upgrade for the top end are the hot ticket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 05-17-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

4 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Its really hard to open zasquatch's spreadsheet and graph it, i mean really really hard

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I don't know, the thing I like about COBB is that I can record Bank 2 AFR and 1-6 timing/corrections. That and I don't need to bring my laptop in the car with me like before, so I can do unplanned logging trips Click here to enlarge That's the benefit I see at least

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I don't know, the thing I like about COBB is that I can record Bank 2 AFR and 1-6 timing/corrections. That and I don't need to bring my laptop in the car with me like before, so I can do unplanned logging trips Click here to enlarge That's the benefit I see at least
    Besides the ability to be able to log all the important parameters, not needing the laptop is a huge plus!! at least it is for me.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Besides the ability to be able to log all the important parameters, not needing the laptop is a huge plus!! at least it is for me.
    Their handheld unit basically is a laptop only with a very tiny view screen. The only parameters not in the JB4 that I'd like to add are cyl 2-6, but bank1&2 afr are in there. I personally need to see boost & timing (or AFR or meth flow) in dash when racing around to have a good comfort level when pushing the car. And if I'm not watching I know the JB4 is watching for me on its own in the background at all times. I also want to see a chart view instantly in the same format each time so I can hone in on what I'm looking for. To each their own. My point with that comment was almost zero useful data comes from the Cobb only crew. If it's not too complicated for them to post in a clean / easy to read format then it must just be a grand conspiracy.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Its really hard to open zasquatch's spreadsheet and graph it, i mean really really hard

Click here to enlarge
    When was the last time you posted a readable or useful chart of anything? You've been looking at these fuel pump logs for Vargas since the beginning yet nothing has been posted.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 05-17-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Their handheld unit basically is a laptop only with a very tiny view screen. The only parameters not in the JB4 that I'd like to add are cyl 2-6, but bank1&2 afr are in there. I personally need to see boost & timing (or AFR or meth flow) in dash when racing around to have a good comfort level when pushing the car. And if I'm not watching I know the JB4 is watching for me on its own in the background at all times. I also want to see a chart view instantly in the same format each time so I can hone in on what I'm looking for. To each their own. My point with that comment was almost zero useful data comes from the Cobb only crew. If it's not too complicated for them to post in a clean / easy to read format then it must just be a grand conspiracy.
    I see what you're saying. there is ups and downs for both sides. I do like to have cyl2-6 on the JB4.

what would also be cool is to have a small memory chip on the JB board so you can log without a laptop and then download it for viewing later on Click here to enlarge, nothing fancy, hell a 1MB flash device is all you need Click here to enlarge
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

3 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    When was the last time you posted a readable or useful chart of anything? You've been looking at these fuel pump logs for Vargas since the beginning yet nothing has been posted.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT ASK FOR LOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I dont see why logs are so necessary. Id like to see logs from another platform that uses cobb..i dont really see them arguing about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Lol... that escalated quickly. Was wondering if the valve was bleeding off pressure during injection dead time between shifts programmed in the auto, vs nls on the manual that fires injectors the whole time. Doesn't seem to be the case necessarily, but the valve is still a good place to look. I want to try some stuff too now that I have my car back!

Should I mention I can datalog on my cellphone now via Bluetooth with the jb4? Bahaha, handhelds AND laptops be damned! Although that AP was handy sometimes.

'Merica

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Should I mention I can datalog on my cellphone now via Bluetooth with the jb4? Bahaha, handhelds AND laptops be damned! Although that AP was handy sometimes.

'Merica
    lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol!
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

LostMarine neg-rep sesh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Working on the control valve front. Here is a photo of the setup and a video of the valve at 50%, 75%, and 100%.. I'm not 100% sure how it works yet. I do know in car during deceleration it's running 100% duty cycle so if the DME is sinking current that means it's in the at rest position. At idle it's running around 75% (or 25% open). And at full throttle the lowest I've seen is 50% open.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lame. That's been posted by Tony. Thanks for negs
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    I see what you're saying. there is ups and downs for both sides. I do like to have cyl2-6 on the JB4.

what would also be cool is to have a small memory chip on the JB board so you can log without a laptop and then download it for viewing later on Click here to enlarge, nothing fancy, hell a 1MB flash device is all you need Click here to enlarge
    In a perfect world I agree. It would be nice if it always stored the last 30 seconds of full throttle so you could download them at any time. There is some memory left but it would not be enough to store a very long log. Maybe 10-15 seconds though. I'll look in to it one day.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I like to see my logs straight away after my WOT run so if I want to change something to re-test it takes only a second. I use a 10" Acer for JB4 logging and as far as i'm concerned it's just a larger version of the Accessport. I got so use to having boost on fuel and timing on oil displayed that while I was running around for a week with the COBB only installed I felt like I had no control as to what was going on. I know you can view all of that on the Accessport but it's too hard to read as a digital display during WOT cause of the speed in which the parameters are moving. I can't live without gauge hijack now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I seem to recall loving being able to log, view, and edit on-the-fly, and re-log using the JB4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thing is with COBB it's the best of both worlds Click here to enlarge If you really love doing that LostMarine, then bring a laptop with you! I can use my netbook and COBB to do exactly that. Or if I don't have my PC with me at the time I can use COBB by itself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast