Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    A 4-cylinder 2 liter engine would have to be fully forged (including pistons) to be M-reliable at 300+ hp, like the CLA 45 AMG engine which is forged (there was an article a few weeks back). So it could have good potential with larger turbos. And I think that a 4 cylinder would have to have one hell of a technology to avoid turbo lag at this power level (maybe hybrid drivetrain ? 3rd turbo ?).
    well it will simply have lag and you will have to live with it or take the auto tranny to smooth it out.
    Just as it happens with the M5 the old 1seriesM(no auto in this case), the M6 XM5 etc etc.
    The lagless times are over at bmw.
    If you dont like lag, you have to move to a different company or buy an old style bmw.
    x30i , M3 no mater what generation, older M5/M6 etc etc.

The amg engines are always something special. (amg is still not a marketing thing as the //M has become)
    They follow a 1 engine 1 man philosophy, even for the CLA AMG.
    The one who build the engine will sign a plate (on the engine cover i think).
    Dont expect anything similar from BMW. It want happen. (its already a lot if the pistons will be forged).
    Just look at the 1seriesM. What are the engine differences to the regular series...
    As far as i know nothing. Other software better oil cooler better IC.... and a big M badge to please the owner and compensate the lack of "individuality" the motor should get. thats it.
    Last edited by cisi; 05-18-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
    this times are gone. Its not like when they had a standard 6cyl for the normals and a race 4 cyl for the M folk.
    It doesn't mean there is not precedent for it. Who expected Mercedes to develop a new four cylinder turbo motor for an AMG? They could have just used their six-cylinder.

it will be a tuned BMW engine anyway, nothing special. Not hig revving etc.
    I'm saying it could be something special if they want it to be.

So if i have to chooes between a chiptuned N20 and a chiptuned N55 i go for the chipped N55. At least i have more potential for my own projects there.
    An ecu tuned N20 obviously won't cut it considering what the M235i already has under the hood.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Really nice!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It doesn't mean there is not precedent for it. Who expected Mercedes to develop a new four cylinder turbo motor for an AMG? They could have just used their six-cylinder.
    yes, but bmw is not mercedes. BMW already stated that their future M engines will be modified standard engines. I expect a (not so heavily modified) tuned N20 for the M2, a tuned(probably the most worked out tuning of the three) N55 for the M3/M4 a tuned x50i(i don't have the name in mind right now) engine for the M5/m6 (and that's already reality, the M3 announced and the M2 N20 quiet in line with the ongoing development at BMW).

An ecu tuned N20 obviously won't cut it considering what the M235i already has under the hood.
    we will see what the M2 gets. I'm hoping for a "serious" engine too, but i don't have the impression that it is going to happen. If their best selling and most known M model, the M3 is not getting a "special" engine, why should the M2 get one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I expect a (not so heavily modified) tuned N20 for the M2
    Not so heavily modified makes no sense considering it would not exceed the N55 then. It would have to be heavily modified.

If their best selling and most known M model, the M3 is not getting a "special" engine
    This has yet to be determined.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not so heavily modified makes no sense considering it would not exceed the N55 then. It would have to be heavily modified.
    This has yet to be determined.
    we will see when they both get released and come back to this :-D

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, I like it a lot. If they do make a m2, i'd expect the same engine as the m235 with about 50hp more. I really hope they make a m2, it would be a major hit! If the 1m wasn't so limited in production, I'm pretty sure half the n54/n55 owners on here would have one!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123