Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll - $30K price range, fun cars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ken_C Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oops, forgot to mention the Cayman on my list. Sorry, lol.
    I love Caymans but I feel that's one of those engines you just can't work on (whch I like to be able to get hands on).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    How much are used Supra's selling for? Ive always thought that they were like $40k for a nice example...
    If you want THE Supra (MKIV) don't expect to find anything sub-$40k that hasn't been heavily molested, better shot finding a reasonable mileage 6MT E46 M3. You'll get the same results when you search for an E39 M5, either more than you're willing to pay or super high mileage. If you look at all the other cars you're shopping that are in your $30k range (5.0 Mustang, C5/C6 Vette, 370Z, BRZ, etc etc), everything is going to require lots of mods. IF I was gonna jump platform, here's what I would look at that I'd get the similar performance, refinement & thrills without heavy modifications (in this order):
    • 2nd Gen CTS-V (2009+)
    • 996 Turbo
    • E55/CLS AMG
    • C6 Z06 (search Vette forums)
    • B5 S4

IF you can find a CTS-V in your price range, I think that'll be the best buy. The LSA motor loves bolt-ons, and since it's domestic it's going to be significantly more affordable to extract power. PLUS, you'll get a lot of the modern luxury items since it's a Cadillac. Another nice thing about the LSA CTS-V & 996 Turbo is they're very reliable cars, and have very proven & explored aftermarket potential. The AMG Mercs will be pricey to maintain (especially if something breaks), the LS7 has had problems with heads dropping & with the B5 S4 you have no guarantees how previous owners treated the car.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for the options! Im going to go ahead and list all the cars i would consider:

-Corvette
    -Mustang GT 5.0
    -CTS V
    -E39 M5
    -Supra
    -370Z
    -some AMGs (idk which ones, E55 and another?)
    -mod the 335i
    -BRZ maybe
    I shopped the C5 Z and C6 LS3 for months, looked at a ton of cars, good C5 Z if you don't mind shipping it or traveling is ~20k, add in some solid bolt-ons and you have a bad-ass car for well under $30k, but the interior is crap compared to the 335i, very hard to live in as a DD.

The C6 LS3 ('08+) has the motor to go with the interior, it's still not up to the 335i, but it's closer. These are hard to find under $30k, but if you're patient you can get them, plenty of guys that bought one for fun and look to unload. Out of the box you're looking at 116-117mph traps, and if you hook a low 12s 1/4, some basic bolt-ons can get you into the 11s NA and of course if you have another $10k for FI and a drag pack they are into the high 9s at 137-142mph (650-700whp).

I did the E39 M5 6mo ago, it's a bear to maintain and the interior was hard to live with compared to a 335i (nice leather, materials, but lack of tech and just old). Car was super fun to drive, sounded bad-ass, but just so many missing things on a car that was 9yrs old. Also in the shop all the time, but damnit it was so sexy.

Mustang GT's are dang near as nice as the 335i coupes, maybe even a bit nicer on the leather and having Sync. Needs FI or nitrous to really get into the 120mph+ on traps, but solid aftermarket and plenty of guys already drag racing them so you wouldn't be pioneer. $30k is do-able for sure here, and the car sounds awesome stock.

CTS-V I've shopped for over a year, damn car is such a draw from a performance perspective, but the rear view and rear 3/4 view is fugly to me. The car is also larger feeling than the 3 or 5 series, I'm still actively looking for nice used examples, generally they are in the high 30s for an '09, I think they are a good deal just more than I want to spend when I consider the upgrades I'd want to get into the high 120s traps. On the plus side, the interior is nice to me, you get the luxury feeling and effortless power that the tuned 335i has, just a bit more size.

AMG are awesome too, nearly bought an e55 AMG last year but backed out when I talked to a few local owners and they ran through their maint they had done after 75k miles. The car can be a bit of a money pit like the E39, but the luxury and power is there.

335i you already know and love, M3 suspension bits and coilovers can go a long way, and with solid turbo options you might have the car you really want already in your garage Click here to enlarge

BRZ in this crowd is good, but as a secondary car to me, not much luxury and the boxer motor is nothing like the I6 or torque monster V8s here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    From OPs list, pretty sure that's not enough HP for what he's looking for.
    Plenty of HP if he is going to track the car. Even BRZ/FRS has enough HP to hoon around the track. If the OP is looking for a point and shoot stop light racer, then yeah those are not good choices. He needs to be a little more specific what he is going to do with the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wouldn't consider a GT86??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kirstie.tyson Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't consider a GT86??
    is a BRZ/FRS in USA
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    is a BRZ/FRS in USA
    Oh, well then, ignore my commenting

completely spaced on Toyota not being a thing in the states

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Thanks for the options! Im going to go ahead and list all the cars i would consider:

-Corvette
    -Mustang GT 5.0
    -CTS V
    -E39 M5
    -Supra
    -370Z
    -some AMGs (idk which ones, E55 and another?)
    -mod the 335i
    -BRZ maybe
    BRZ

Mustang GT

Corvette

CTS V

E39 M5

These are all excellent platforms and very different cars overall but great in their own right. From that list based on ownership of some, experience at driving others and knowledge of them all I would narrow it down to three cars for me.

1. C5Z (I bought my 99 FRC with 49K on her equipped with coil overs, sway bars, full exhaust, tune, cam and cold air for $17.5 in March 2012.) You can locate a nice C5Z or FRC's with low miles and some basic mods for great prices.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-c-18k-pa.html
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...fs-03-z06.html
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...ight-mods.html

2. Mustang GT Despite the SRA suspension these cars can be easily made to handle exceptionally well and can make insane HP... Great value they sale easily and are easy to find IMO

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...yote-sale.html
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-gt-cs-m6.html
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...nati-ohio.html

3. E39 M5 This is my favorite M5 its the true gentlemen's sedan. Well dressed with MMA fighter attitude and power under hood, they respond well to mods but are harder to locate with lower miles in my experience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...item589fe72108
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...#ht_500wt_1182
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...#ht_831wt_1182

I think any of those cars would be a great buy and fun DD especially when modded, every car listed is as of now available for sale and somewhat negotiable in most cases. The question for you is what you want from a car, what kinds of mods will you and how many miles you will drive annually. I'd DD a C5Z with mods all day its very comfy, same with a Mustang and with a M5. But the Vette has less personal space, Mustang is not as luxurious and the M5 is a decently sized car overall but very quick out of the box.

My alternative would be a 1st Gen CTS-V they are sleepers and they can make silly amounts of power with mods. Fragile rears if I recall correctly
    We stay swingin...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I forgot that one @Sledgehammer I've been looking at 2gen CTS-v. Ls2 6.0. Def in his price range and fun to drive. Sound great. Same amenities as a 335i inside. Can be just as fast as a FBO 335i for about the same price. Great option for sure
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Almost done

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The first Gen V's are a great value its got big brakes, IRS, LS6 motor/6spd and good comfort & amenities. Plus lets face it even in all motor form its a serious car. That car with worked heads, cam, FAST, intake & tune will be plenty damn fast. Or keep it simple and throw a Procharger on there with some fuel upgrades and again its a rocket ship. So many great cars in the world to own and drive, not enough time or money in many cases to try them all.
    We stay swingin...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1551 Post(s)

The E39 M5 is definitely a good suggestion as well. Best M5 ever made IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

E39 M5 looks SOOOO outdated! Don't do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1551 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
    It has classic BMW lines, it won't ever look outdated. The E39 and E46 are the pinnacle of BMW styling IMO, they don't look like they are trying too hard they just look like a BMW is supposed to look:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think keeping the 335 and modding it would be a good option. If you want the balance of refinement/luxury, performance, fun factory, and able to make more power, stick with the bimmers. There has been a lot of progress made with the 335s and as I mentioned before, you can get a e46 m3 and go the MaxPsi route. Their stage 1 kit makes anywhere from 450-600whp, depending on other mods. And that kit is $10k. You can't go wrong with that route.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The E46 M3 has a look that hasn't grown old. It keeps up with many new cars in terms of looks. To each its own, but I think the M5 when next to all of these new BMWs, just looks old. I feel like thats too much of a downgrade in the looks category. Just my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1551 Post(s)

The E46 M3 has a look that hasn't grown old. It keeps up with many new cars in terms of looks. To each its own, but I think the M5 when next to all of these new BMWs, just looks old. I feel like thats too much of a downgrade in the looks category. Just my opinion.
    That's fine but the E46 and E39 styling language is basically the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That's fine but the E46 and E39 styling language is basically the same.
    True, they are similar. But I guess those extra doors and its size plays a part in my opinion. I think its size make it look less attractive. All I see is another 5 series, with a body kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The E39 M5 is definitely a good suggestion as well. Best M5 ever made IMO.
    Amen

Lies

Only complaint with 1st Gen CTS-V is the interior. Going from the modern 335 interior, the 1st gen CTS-Vs could leave you wanting more. Same could be said with the 350/370Z, but that could be easily addressed by going with the G35/G37.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Amen

Lies

Maybe to you, but I've had my share of time with an e39 M5. Seems that the only ppl that cared for it were enthusiasts, where as a 335 is sought after by enthusiasts, and also those who just like a nice car.

Only complaint with 1st Gen CTS-V is the interior. Going from the modern 335 interior, the 1st gen CTS-Vs could leave you wanting more. Same could be said with the 350/370Z, but that could be easily addressed by going with the G35/G37.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I will say that G37s coupes are fantastic cars. That's actually what I was looking for when I bought my 335i but I couldn't find a used one (was a few years ago right after they came out). They are both sporty and luxuious and stock for stock will beat a 335i in all facets. There just aren't a lot of mods for it and it's not great boosted unless you go all out and build the bottom end. At that point, it'd be cheaper to get the same power out of a 335i.

Amen

Lies

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I've wanted a corvette my whole life. Someone offered to trade me a TT Z06 last summer for my 335i. I went to Nashville to test drive it and it just wasn't for me. It was caged and everything though. Not what I had in mind for a DD. I didn't like how far the shifter stuck up, I thought it would corner better and it was much louder than it was fast haha. I think though, one day I'll pick one up as a weekend warrior. I still love them, just wouldn't DD one.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    The first Gen V's are a great value its got big brakes, IRS, LS6 motor/6spd and good comfort & amenities. Plus lets face it even in all motor form its a serious car. That car with worked heads, cam, FAST, intake & tune will be plenty damn fast. Or keep it simple and throw a Procharger on there with some fuel upgrades and again its a rocket ship. So many great cars in the world to own and drive, not enough time or money in many cases to try them all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Amen

Lies

+1, I'm surprised at the comment because I've never heard anyone complain about the E39's looks. Very classic design that BMW screwed themselves on when they went away from it.

Every morning walking out to my car I would just stop and star at it, I always felt guilty if it wasn't clean all the time.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...img_0352-1.jpg

G37's are everywhere it seems now, they are cheap so that's nice but dime a dozen in the midwest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I've wanted a corvette my whole life. Someone offered to trade me a TT Z06 last summer for my 335i. I went to Nashville to test drive it and it just wasn't for me. It was caged and everything though. Not what I had in mind for a DD. I didn't like how far the shifter stuck up, I thought it would corner better and it was much louder than it was fast haha. I think though, one day I'll pick one up as a weekend warrior. I still love them, just wouldn't DD one.
    I'm right there with you, Corvette just isn't DD material to me, but I want one anyway because they have so much raw power on tap when you really start working on them. Still a TT Z06 ought to scare you if it's setup right...

I keep looking at the CTS-V because to me it's a heavy, luxury, 4 door Corvette!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I've found a couple nice 6.0 CTS-V very reasonably priced. I'm really torn between an e90 and a CTS-V though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    I'm right there with you, Corvette just isn't DD material to me, but I want one anyway because they have so much raw power on tap when you really start working on them. Still a TT Z06 ought to scare you if it's setup right...

I keep looking at the CTS-V because to me it's a heavy, luxury, 4 door Corvette!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The Vette when setup correctly is very comfortable suspension wise but that means Pfadt, LG or Callaway coil overs to get there. They get a lil pricey LOL...

The V is a nice all round car for sure as well, still I lean more to the E39 M its just a sick car IMO but the V is easily made much faster for far less. Choices, choices!
    We stay swingin...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast