• Mustang 5.0

6 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    old body jeep SRT8 with some mods would get you some good power and ALOT of fun...they are about 24-35k now
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've thought about those too. I just don't know how much "fun" I could possibly have in a 5,000lb SUV. Even with over 500HP the X5 50 is barely running 12s. 12.9 I think. And that's way faster than a Jeep SRT8 or a TB SS.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    old body jeep SRT8 with some mods would get you some good power and ALOT of fun...they are about 24-35k now
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I've thought about those too. I just don't know how much "fun" I could possibly have in a 5,000lb SUV. Even with over 500HP the X5 50 is barely running 12s. 12.9 I think. And that's way faster than a Jeep SRT8 or a TB SS.
    they will do low 11s with boltons and a cam
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! it, get an 03/04 cobra or Lightning. cheap fast stylish

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh damn. That's fast. Maybe that would be fun to drive LOL. I might have to find one just to test drive.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    they will do low 11s with boltons and a cam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rrbyzupcY
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Termi Cobra, I'd love to have one. Not sure I'd DD it though. I'd miss the luxury on the daily commute. Definately one of my all time favorite cars though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    $#@! it, get an 03/04 cobra or Lightning. cheap fast stylish

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think Eric will be happy keeping his 335i. If not, I'll certainly trade him Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The 370Z is likely a more fun drivers car...
    Having owned an Evo VIII and driven quite a bit in the 370Z, I have to disagree. The Nissan steering and brakes are much slower and softer than in the Evo. Overall, I think the 370Z is a better street car, but the Evo is a better driver's car.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    It's a sabaru motor though. And FI a non-stock FI motor. Can't see it holding up real long boosted.
    From what's going on right now it looks like the FA20 is overbuilt. Full-Blown built a 600+ hp turbo system on a completely stock engine using E85. It survived 75+ dyno runs at over 500 hp. The customer they built it for is currently tracking it, but has run into overheating problems. The engine hasn't failed yet. Visconti Tuning mentioned they have a supercharged car spinning 9500 RPM on a completely stock engine with no valve float. I find that quite impressive, but time will tell.

To answer the OP, I'd recommend a used Cayman S. It's tremendously fun, quick enough due to the light weight, and not much more expensive to maintain than the 335i, as long as you stay away from the dealership.

Just make sure you get an extended warranty contract that will pay the price to replace the engine if it fails. The cost for replacement can exceed the value of the car at higher mileage, and not all extended warranties will cover that cost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    Having owned an Evo VIII and driven quite a bit in the 370Z, I have to disagree. The Nissan steering and brakes are much slower and softer than in the Evo. Overall, I think the 370Z is a better street car, but the Evo is a better driver's car.
    My EVO handles better than any car I've ever driven, BY FAR. Including an e92 M3 I test drove last summer. I didn't get to beat on the M3 like I have my EVO but it's very obvious in only a few minutes. I've taken 90 degree turns in the EVO at 100MPH before. SUPER fun to drive. I think if you get an EVO and don't go crazy with it, stay around 400HP/350TQ it would be a GREAT DD car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The reason I didn't like it as a DD car, is the squeaks/rattles, rough ride, cheap interior. Admittedly, the ride can be fixed with a proper set of coilovers. The stock springs are too soft and the dampers too stiff. It has excellent handling, but you pay for it in other areas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    The reason I didn't like it as a DD car, is the squeaks/rattles, rough ride, cheap interior. Admittedly, the ride can be fixed with a proper set of coilovers. The stock springs are too soft and the dampers too stiff. It has excellent handling, but you pay for it in other areas.
    Exactly, the ride and build quality don't compare to something like an E92 M3 even if it pulls a similar skidpad number.

Plus, all wheel drive isn't as exciting as rear wheel drive.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    exactly why I want back into a 135i/335i. I've never been an M3 fan, maybe I will be with the new M3 but still too rich for my blood. I have it narrowed down to an e90 335i, a CTS-V or an E55/E63 AMG

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Exactly, the ride and build quality don't compare to something like an E92 M3 even if it pulls a similar skidpad number.

Plus, all wheel drive isn't as exciting as rear wheel drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the options! Im going to go ahead and list all the cars i would consider:

-Corvette
    -Mustang GT 5.0
    -CTS V
    -E39 M5
    -Supra
    -370Z
    -some AMGs (idk which ones, E55 and another?)
    -mod the 335i
    -BRZ maybe
    My 2 cents

BRZ - If your worried about return of investment then a new car isn't a very good choice let alone a new car plus 5K in performance parts. Even though I think that would probably be the best choice on there for fun factor.

Z Car - I've been around a handful of Greddy TT 350/G35's and not a fan of those years. Nightmares of dealing with poorly designed turbo kit issues and things catching on fire. The 370 is a major upgrade over a 350 though in looks and interior quality.

Vette - Probably the closest bang for buck as parts are dirt cheap compared to BMW but the base model doesn't drive as sporty as it should, it's very capable but it's kinda like your just there for the ride. Z06 is another story. Vette will probably be on the top of the list to get your money back when your done.

Supra - Really 335i money for a 20 year old car that either needs work cause it is unmolested or one that needs fixed properly from most of them that were molested so many times over. Resale value will probably always stay the same.

CTS V - You talking newer supercharged or older? Non SC'd I wouldn't waste time on, newer one would only consider if your list didn't have 2 seaters as an option.

Mustang - Solid car probably right in the middle of most of these for fun, sporty, power, potential and comfort.

E55 - Straightline beast, fast touring family hauler. In my limited experience in them thats where the fun ends.

M5 - Nice if you need a big car.

Viper - I'll mention this one since it was on somebodies suggestion. IMO not a fun car to drive on the street, dangerous weapon that looks really cool. Loud, obnoxious, hot, log wagon riding best that tears through gas and tires like crazy.

What do you do with the car that you consider fun, in my option most new cars are lacking in the fun department even though they out handle, accelerate and stop better then older cars. Typically the lighter you can go the more fun the car seems. And unless your racing alot of people there's some slower cars that you would swear you were hauling ass.

If you reconsider projects there's usually FD RX7's and RX8's around with blown Rotaries that make good homes to LSX motors. I've seen low mileage RX8's go for as low as 5K. They were a very capable platform missing real power.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Damn that is a sexy car.... I really need to go take a look at one in person. Could any of you 370Z owners give me any more opinions about the car's interior/power/handling versus the 335i? How is the manual tranny compared to ours?
    The 370z is a completely different kind of car. There is no refinement compared to a 335i. The interior is better than the 350z in many many ways but not up to BMW standards. The 370z will cost less to keep on the road. Primarily any issues will become known during the warranty period. The 370z is definitely a gas, oil, and minor maintenance car. Simply put, the engine is very good indeed. However the 370z has a few drawbacks. Shifting the manual is not smooth and as a matter of fact after owning my 350z, 370z, and m3 the m3 has the best transmission bar none. The fact that the car does not come standard with an oil cooler in the 09-11 years is a huge burden because after a few minutes of hard driving your oil temps have peaked 240* easily. I did back to back pulls and by the 3rd pull my car felt like an Altima. The factory brakes suck. I upgraded my pads on my 350z, which are the same as the non sport package 370z, and this helped tremendously. Bolt on performance provides decent gains but nothing like what you will see on the 335. The 370z will easily trounce the 335i in the corners though. Realistically the 2013 nismo with the aforementioned upgrades on a track would be a good battle with the e92 m3 in the corners. Straights are a different subject. To me, I like them both but for different reasons. I don't have a preference as they both are not as good as the m3 but cost a lot less in the long run. It's all subjective.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

The interior of the E39 M5 is so sexy Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

And can't forget the Clive Owen short movie:

Last edited by sr20seb; 05-15-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Poll - Funnest DD for $30,000

Ok so @Eric335 posted a very interesting thread about what was the funnest car to DD for around $30k initial investment. This is my same price range for my next vehicle when the EVO is sold so I've kept up with all of the responses. A bunch of people had really great ideas/input also. So, I figured a poll was in order. You can only put 10 options in the poll so I'll put the 10 most talked about from Eric's thread. This is for my own personal gain LOL. I'm looking for a fun daily driver with an inital $30k investment. Modifying is certainly going to happen. HP is kind of a relative point, 500HP in a BRZ is a lot different than 500HP in an M6 so lets keep the HP numbers relative. I loved DDing my 440HP/480TQ 335i. I'm looking for that type of performance. @Sticky usually compares performance by trap speed and I like that idea, I just don't know every car's trap speed. If you know them please post. I was kind of spoiled by my 335i luxury so that plays into it too. The EVO is very loud, obnoxious, stiff, etc to ride in. It's not a whole lot of fun on a 3 hour road trip. I'd be looking for something at least a little comfortable and modern so LSx swapped 240sx and RX7s prob wouldn't fit my definition of daily driver material.

Lets see what you guys think:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I forgot to mention, i have to have back seats.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dammit, @Sticky can you replace the G37 with a 5.0 mustang?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Define fun? For me my FRS is a fun DD because its decent on gas, handles well, can park anywhere and its cheap fun with a warranty. However you may want other attributes
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Define fun? For me my FRS is a fun DD because its decent on gas, handles well, can park anywhere and its cheap fun with a warranty. However you may want other attributes
    +1

My other thread has really taken off and raised an interesting topic about fun cars for $30k. My vote would go to the 335i, FRS, 370z, or 5.0 Mustang. Although out of those, i cant pick Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like i said, fun to me was my 440HP/480TQ 335i. I need something for some fun highway pulls and something that's not going to put me to sleep stoplight to stoplight. I haven't driven a BRZ. I'm tempted to just swing by the dealer and drive it for $#@!s and giggles. I'm pretty sure it's not for me though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Power isnt what a FRS/BRZ is about, its about balance and technique. Thats not the ride for you, buy a Mustang GT and have some fun
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've driven a 5.0 mustang with suspension mods (don't know the details), brakes, exhaust intake tune. Was damn good fun to drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You didn't include generation for the S4.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well thanks to everyone for their replies. Ill reply to specific comments later when im not as busy. But for now ill state that i am leaning more towards modding the car and seeing if i still want to keep it. It seems that im trying to find a replacement for a car that already has everything i need. The Corvette would be my first choice but due to many reasons i dont think ill be able to swing it (esp the insurance). The FRS is awesome but id probably need to have FI, which would cost a lot of time and money to properly set up. The Supra/E55 AMG/E46 M3 seem to either cost a lot to maintain, are hard to find, or are hard to find unmolested. That leaves the 370z, the 5.0, the CTS-V, the Cayman S, and keeping the 335i and modding it, and maybe anything else i run into (possibly Evo/STi).

Ill keep everyone updated, but i truly do thank you for your participation and insight. After beating on the 335i today (for the first time in a month or so), i somewhat rekindled my love for it. Maybe a fmic is all i need to beat the Florida heat and love the car again haha
    Click here to enlarge

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast