Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    And this was part of your problem. Why not retune?
    In the process of getting my tuner to come down. I'm just going to use the meth when running 91 from now on. If I race it will be on just race gas.

Even with a tune I won't run high octane (im talking c16 and more type octane) and straight meth it's just too much and not necessary.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Hi Taza.

I think what Innovate was referring to were motors running on methanol requiring the 6.4:1 AFR. Our motors run on gasoline, and it's safe to say all the methanol is combusted through our injection process. I think if the sensor is assumed to fail due to thermal strain (heat shock) then it wouldnt be the mode of failure for our cars because we are not using nearly enough methanol as a pure alcohol motor would.
    Yes you are right, that's why I mentioned it depends how much you use. In my case I have 2 large nozzles and I'm running over 30psi, moving alot of meth! Meth will definitely effect the 02 sensor after awhile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes you are right, that's why I mentioned it depends how much you use. In my case I have 2 large nozzles and I'm running over 30psi, moving alot of meth! Meth will definitely effect the 02 sensor after awhile.
    How much are you moving? ml/min?

2000 ml/min?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much are you moving? ml/min?

2000 ml/min?
    Not quite that much, more like 1500ml/minute full boost mode.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the process of ordering an 02 sensor, it seems like that also might be a culprit. Ive noticed some stuttering during low part throttle driving as well.
    Leaded fuel burns up O2's.. Your better off replacing both pre-cats.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    Leaded fuel burns up O2's.. Your better off replacing both pre-cats.
    Definitely right, leaded fuel burns up the 02's but I also believe meth will as well. I was only running leaded fuel for awhile and had no issues at all. Its odd that this issue only came after i started using 91+meth!

I dont have cats, I only have the 02 sensor hooked up to the AEM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

That is definately not enough to shock the O2 sensors. I think they may have failed for other reasons, all that leaded gas perhaps. Just for reference I spray 1000 ml/min in my N54 with stock DPs and stock intercooler.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

really 1000? quite a lot for stock turbos, you found that less means less performance/cooling benefit? is that with dual nozzles? ill have to see when i do my turbos what kind of flow ill be using but as of now on stock turbos, im only at around 500-550 ml/min.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is definately not enough to shock the O2 sensors. I think they may have failed for other reasons, all that leaded gas perhaps. Just for reference I spray 1000 ml/min in my N54 with stock DPs and stock intercooler.
    1000ml/min sounds like alot for your boost/hp. I gotta check mine last time I checked it was around 1500ml but I will check again.

I just find it weird after switching to regular gas and meth my 02 sensor goes bad. It was fine when I was running leaded fuel for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the process of getting my tuner to come down. I'm just going to use the meth when running 91 from now on. If I race it will be on just race gas.

Even with a tune I won't run high octane (im talking c16 and more type octane) and straight meth it's just too much and not necessary.
    I think the best way to do it would be to have the meth turned way down when you run race fuel. How is your meth system controlled?

That's a lot of meth!

Even 1000ml a minute is a good amount of meth! I used to run only around 625 out of one nozzle
    Last edited by MSpiredM3; 08-25-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    I think the best way to do it would be to have the meth turned way down when you run race fuel. How is your meth system controlled?
    Its progressive, i can choose starting boost and full boost. I didnt think of adjusting it during the runs unfortunately. Even so, i think this is more of an 02 sensor now just reading about it more. I was not even monitoring boost during the runs, so i dont even know what the afr's were! Thank God nothing bad happened.... The 02 sensor is on the way, i will install it and run it again for sure.
    Last edited by TaZaM3; 08-25-2010 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, I think your issues are more related with a bad O2 sensor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

good read and good to know as well. Hopefully you can get some more runs against the porsche with the problem solved
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    good read and good to know as well. Hopefully you can get some more runs against the porsche with the problem solved
    Definitely will do, im more excited this time then the first. I will definitely be changing my 02 sensor more often after this even if there are no obvious signs of failure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As an update, changed the 02 sensor out and the car immediately was running better! No more part throttle AFR hunting, no more boost stuttering. Went to the dyno made a healthy 850whp on a low reading dynojet (known as a heartbreaker dyno in downey where stock zo6's make 400whp) with 110 octane and my intake manifold hoses would not stay on. Seems like the car is making boost better then it ever did and the hoses just keep popping off. I could not hold full boost because of this. In the process of changing all the hoses and clamps now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

good news, i hope to see some kills from you soon that none of us dare to touch Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

As an update, changed the 02 sensor out and the car immediately was running better! No more part throttle AFR hunting, no more boost stuttering. Went to the dyno made a healthy 850whp on a low reading dynojet (known as a heartbreaker dyno in downey where stock zo6's make 400whp) with 110 octane and my intake manifold hoses would not stay on. Seems like the car is making boost better then it ever did and the hoses just keep popping off. I could not hold full boost because of this. In the process of changing all the hoses and clamps now.
    Can we see the graph?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm waiting for the guy to email the graph. It was actually a very nice graph, powerband is great makes 850whp at about 6k rpm or less and it's pretty much flat all the way to redline. I wasn't holding full boost mainly because the hoses weren't holding. Also had an AEM tuner with me and he said the car is tuned way too conservative, not much timing in it and rich afr's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New update: Turns out in adjacent to my 02 sensor problem my spark plugs needed replacements. I pulled them out and they seem to be fouled up pretty good! This would also explain the stuttering in boost while racing in mexico which was basically misfiring. Im now in the process of finding the best possible spark plug for my application. The Denso Iridium IXU27 doesn't seem to be doing the job for me reliably enough.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Turns out in adjacent to my 02 sensor problem my spark plugs needed replacements.
    Have you been running a lot of leaded fuel?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Have you been running a lot of leaded fuel?
    Originally yes, I would only run leaded fuel (I had 55 gallon drums sitting at work). Also the car does run rich. But I switched over and got meth recently, so I run 91/meth now. Once again just like my 02 sensor, i have not changed my spark plugs for awhile. Im going to be routinely checking my car from now on, i admittedly neglect her and it bit me in the ass during the mexico run.

Also im bringing in the AEM tuner that did my car to retune the whole car and add some stuff to it in the next 2 weeks. This time im not going to be left with problems during a mexico trip or the coming 1/4 mile event.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The Denso Iridium IXU27 doesn't seem to be doing the job for me reliably enough.
    My tuner swears by copper plugs. I've been running them (on a much more conservative tune) with good success; they just need to be changed more often than iridiums.
    I'm interested to hear from others with broader experience if iridiums actully provide better ignition performance. If so, at what boost level and for which fuel.
    Thx,
    Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GTR-Dad Click here to enlarge
    My tuner swears by copper plugs. I've been running them (on a much more conservative tune) with good success; they just need to be changed more often than iridiums.
    I'm interested to hear from others with broader experience if iridiums actully provide better ignition performance. If so, at what boost level and for which fuel.
    Thx,
    Dan
    Im being recommended to get NGK race plugs R2525 and its apparently platinum not iridium. I believe these are the plugs HPF uses for their Stg 3-4 cars. I might try them out, they are damn expensive though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tried the NGK R2525 plugs and the car reacted horribly. Could not drive it for more then 5 minutes, misfiring like crazy. Put in my old Denso Ixu27's and the car instantly ran better. Ordered a new set, they are on back order, will arrive in a couple days time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Taza hopefully everything works out. I'm meeting up with a semi twin of your car Tony's old car is in NJ, and the owner is a friend of the family. It will be awesome to see the 1 of work done on both cars. Good Luck man.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast