Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Failed RB wastegate arm/pin

Failed RB wastegate arm/pin
    Was driving today and noticed the car was not boosting normal...got home found a bov Vaccum line had a hole in it along with a sever rattling...I investgated farther and was shocked when I found the actuator arm not even attached to my RB turbo. I am guessing this turbo has to be removed to be fixed...I will contact Rob on how to even fix this.....these only have 4,000 miles on them. Has anybody else ever had this happen?

This is NOT a thread to bash RB's, it is to see if this can be fixed!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IIRC Rob will fix these types of issues under warranty. Good luck with everything.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Njz Click here to enlarge
    IIRC Rob will fix these types of issues under warranty. Good luck with everything.
    he has contacted me and willing to fix this....glad to this forum understands I was just looking for s fix not bashing RB lol! In other forums it turned into something it is not.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Per RB:

Copying this in from other forum as well:
    #1- This is some of the highest quality high heat USA SS known to man (with Certs). Definitely not a steel issue.

#2- Via PM, I had responded you are the first in approx. 250 turbos over the course of 3 years to have this issue. I realize that is not much consolation but this is new to me.

#3- This particular weld I've had a firm do for me in the past, in the future I will be doing it myself or advising them that it is not bulletproof and needs to be.

#4- I have seen this happen on numerous core returns and core purchases I have bought (re: old OEM turbos). Maybe 1 out of 15 sets. Not sure the cause, but there is quite a few that end up like this which is why I use the best of the best materials using a much thicker 11ga. material lever.

#5- Warranty includes repair in product such as this. You can contact me for resolve as you have.

#6- If you have a TIG pro nearby, with a small enough torch who can get into that area- I can provide you a new "custom" pin that would give you enough material to weld back into place from the front side without affecting the integrity of the actuator lever pin surface.

Thanks,
    Rob

EDIT: Since OP has decided to put this on every forum and I simply do not have the time to address every persons input especially on every forum this will be the extent of my replies here. If any customer needs me for anything, I am here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Between something being wrong and you posting, how long was it?
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    Between something being wrong and you posting, how long was it?
    Wasnt long LOL!! This thread was just to see if anyone had a fix. Rob is local to me....I didnt make rthe thread to get his attention.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Met up with Rob today for the fix, this is not the permant fix as he wants to make it much better looking and trick! I installed this not to bad to install....just a lot of patiance and had to have my wife get under the car! I will just give her Robs number if she gets mad later ROFLMAO!!
    Car boosts way better, I think my pin may have been a VERY Rare thing and was slowly bending because with the fix it seems to grab boost VERY fast, faster than before for sure LOL!. Will get a log tonight. I also found a nice vacume leake to! BOV hose blew out.
    All in ALL this thread just proves that my decision to Get RB's was a right one.....car was fixed within hours! That is customer service at its best!
    Temp Fix (Rob has a high tech version in the making).

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad to hear it was fixed, let us know how it holds up.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    imo this shouldn't really become trend before emailing whomever is in charge of returns/warranty... obv quickly fixed and if it started $#@! in other forum that's not fair. And both forums same thread? kinda much imo
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    imo this shouldn't really become trend before emailing whomever is in charge of returns/warranty... obv quickly fixed and if it started $#@! in other forum that's not fair. And both forums same thread? kinda much imo
    this was not a thread to get robs attention...I live 15 mins from him....it was thread for a fix...no bashing no ill words....I was not mad in any way shape our form.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    its amazing what happens when a rep system keeps people in check Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is just a general opinion... the OP runs an N20 sensor with a boost exceeding 21 psi peak. Coupled with perhaps questionable welds from the outsourced company and excessive duty cycle, that could be your answer. Very few RB turbo guys run the N20 sensor, so that could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Again, this is purely theoretical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, at least it shows the great customer service Rob provides Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Glad all is well homie. I'll have a slick trick lil part for you shortly (if you want it to look better).

Good seeing ya again, I'd like to get a ride in that beast sometime. Glad to hear its putting down some mammoth power as well!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    This is just a general opinion... the OP runs an N20 sensor with a boost exceeding 21 psi peak. Coupled with perhaps questionable welds from the outsourced company and excessive duty cycle, that could be your answer. Very few RB turbo guys run the N20 sensor, so that could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Again, this is purely theoretical.
    it could be and will with looking into....but my wastegate duty cycle is low (below 70). Also I think this pin gradually failed because after the fix my throttle is a lot better and the low RPM rattle I had its gone....makes me think that if this pin was bent as the weld tore loose the wastegate was not in correct position. Throttle response is unbelievable now!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Glad all is well homie. I'll have a slick trick lil part for you shortly (if you want it to look better).

Good seeing ya again, I'd like to get a ride in that beast sometime. Glad to hear its putting down some mammoth power as well!
    Iappreciate your great service abs fear to see you again...any time you want a ride I am game

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    it could be and will with looking into....but my wastegate duty cycle is low (below 70). Also I think this pin gradually failed because after the fix my throttle is a lot better and the low RPM rattle I had its gone....makes me think that if this pin was bent as the weld tore loose the wastegate was not in correct position. Throttle response is unbelievable now!
    70 is pretty high duty cycle for any stock-frame turbos Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    70 is pretty high duty cycle for any stock-frame turbos Click here to enlarge
    +1 I'm running up to 21 psi midrange (peak) on my RBs and WGDC stays around 30-40. Just how much boost are you running with that N20 sensor?

Glad to hear you got the problem sorted Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G.I.Joe Click here to enlarge
    +1 I'm running up to 21 psi midrange (peak) on my RBs and WGDC stays around 30-40. Just how much boost are you running with that N20 sensor?

weird thing is this after the fix by WGDC dropped to 50 (first log)....I don't run that high...21 psi tapering down to 18. My stock turbos had a WGDC of 125 lol!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Here is a log before the fix.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    weird thing is this after the fix by WGDC dropped to 50 (first log)....I don't run that high...21 psi tapering down to 18. My stock turbos had a WGDC of 125 lol!
    Ahh, ok. Around the same boost I run then. Well maybe there was a problem with that weld/pin from the beginning?
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ahh, ok. Around the same boost I run then. Well maybe there was a problem with that weld/pin from the beginning?
    I think it is what Rib said, weeks didn't penetrate enough and rod probably gradually bent wich probably made wastegate not close correctly.