Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Detailing Products..where?!

Hey BB,
    Im starting to run out of the meguiar's stuff i have been using and am looking at buying some chemicals/soaps/detailing equipment. I want to support someone on the forums, and am not sure who sells detailing products/equipment.

So, detailing vendors, chime in and let me see what you got! Im looking for:

-washing soap
    -buffer/buffer pads
    -wax
    -interior dress-up chemicals
    -black plastic chemical (the stuff that makes black plastic 'blacker')
    -anything else that you think i should use

Id love it if Auto Finesse or Detailed Image could chime in. Where would be the best place to learn the proper way to clean,dry,wax,detail,claybar a car? Im not 100% sure what to do and what to use, and would love some assistance! I always see people using sprays/guns when first washing their cars and for cleaning their rims.

So the moral of the story, Id love to figure out how to properly detail the car and what to use. Thanks! Click here to enlarge

-Eric
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, upon further investigation, it seems that Detailed Image has some pretty sweet deals and a bunch of guides.... Now to figure out what i need... Suggestions?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

There are a ton of online videos to start you off. Just take your time and enjoy the process. my favorite products come from Griot's Garage. They ought to start sending me a commish as I always recommend them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

detailed image and amazon are my two "go-to" sites. Suprisingly, Autozone has started carrying some high end Meguires stuff.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unfortunately we do not have a detailing vendor... which bums me out.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately we do not have a detailing vendor... which bums me out.
    Coulda sworm DI was a vendor.

Anywho, DetailersDomain over on E90Post has gotten in touch with me. Might go with them or DI. I was supposed to use this stuff to detail the Porsche over the weekend but i guess ill be using my usual materials lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Coulda sworm DI was a vendor.
    Ya back in the day.

Anywho, DetailersDomain over on E90Post has gotten in touch with me.
    FML
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

There's a thread somewhere on here that some1 detailed their E46 M3 and it came out GORGEOUS.... Pretty sure they listed all the products they used, I'll try to find it
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

Here are two threads:

1. Auto Finesse --- This will probably be the stuff I use once I finish off the Blue Coral Car Soap & other stuff I have. Here's flipm3's review of the stuff, looks like it really improved his interiors appearance & revived the leather
    2. Mixed Bag -- Here's Aced16's detailing thread. He includes a product list & step by step pics of what he did and how it came out.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Here are two threads:

1. Auto Finesse --- This will probably be the stuff I use once I finish off the Blue Coral Car Soap & other stuff I have. Here's flipm3's review of the stuff, looks like it really improved his interiors appearance & revived the leather
    2. Mixed Bag -- Here's Aced16's detailing thread. He includes a product list & step by step pics of what he did and how it came out.
    Thanks! Autofinesse (AKA DetailerDomain which is the website that sells them) are the people that contacted me on E90Post. Some sweet products!

-E
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ya back in the day.

FML
    Hey now, BB will always be my 'main $#@!' Click here to enlarge

Thats why i recommend everyone joins here on FB/meets
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    -washing soap
    -buffer/buffer pads
    -wax

Id love it if Auto Finesse or Detailed Image could chime in. Where would be the best place to learn the proper way to clean,dry,wax,detail,claybar a car? Im not 100% sure what to do and what to use, and would love some assistance! I always see people using sprays/guns when first washing their cars and for cleaning their rims.
    detailed image has some amazing "how tos" and autogeek and meguiars also have great "how to" videos on youtube.

as for recommending products to use, for soaps i LOVE LOVE "Chemical Guy" products, decently priced and great soaps, IMO. Some of them are meant for "foam guns", some are meant for stripping your wax/sealant.

Chemical guys has this video here that gives some information on what kind of soap of theirs to use :

I also like to use "DoDo Juice" soaps. "born to be mild" for those weekly/frequent washes, and "sour power gloss enhancer" when my washes are a little further a part. They are a little more expensive per ounce than chemical guys, but are very dilutable. I usually hit the car with CG's "honey dew snow foam" soap with a pressure washer/foam blaster, then 2 bucket method with the dodo juice soaps.

Buffer/Buffer pads -- get a "random orbital buffer" this is going to limit any damage you could do to your clear coat, yet with advancements in pads it allows you to make some incredible restoration work. Here is where things get expensive because there are a ton of different pads, pad sizes, and different steps of products. This is where a thing call "test area" comes into play, that is testing a small 2x2' area with different pads/polish/compounds to find out what is going to get you the results you need. What you need really depends on the color of the car and how the paint looks.

-wax -- Now we have waxes and sealants. Sealants are synthetic and are going to be liquids, waxes are hard(ish). Sealants will provide a longer protection. I use CG (chemical guys) jetseal, I love it, however there are a lot better products out there like "Blackfire Wet Diamond". Waxes and Sealants can also be color dependent, certain waxes look better on dark cars, some on light, some on neutral. My waxes are a mix of CG petes 50/50 and dodo juice, depending on the color of car i'm working on. another thing to note -- sealants have a "cure time" this isn't just the time to wait until it hazes until you buff it out, but say you want to apply a wax afterwards, just to make it POP. You see you can't apply a sealant over a wax, the polymers just won't bond. so you do a sealant then a wax, however depending on the sealant you're going to need a ~24 hour "cure time" before you can apply the wax.

Interior dress up -- 303 Aerospace Protectant, Einszett Cockpit Premium, (for leather interior) Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Prestine Rejuvenator, for cloth, well i haven't really had to clean my cloth seats because i hit it with this shortly after i bought the car -- Wolfs Chemicals Nano Textile Sealant.

black plastic -- for trim pieces i use Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift Rubber Care Stick, i also use 303 Aerospace Protectant again (this is great for protecting stuff from sun fades), CG back to black or back in black, something like that, comes in an aerosol can.

-anything else

buy this: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR). This stuff is meant to be a "hoseless wash" soap, however at the right dilution you can use it for a quicker detailer, i tend to hit my car up with this after i'm done drying it. you can also dilute it for a clay lube. you can also use it for a regular wash, really a work horse soap.

Get an all purpose cleaner. I LOVE CG's "Grime Reaper," it's some strong stuff. I tend to use it if i make a mess with oil in the drive way or something, think brake cleaner... however you can dilute it for a general cleaner, Meg's also has a great all purpose cleaner. you'd be surprised at what you may use this stuff for outside of the car.

Buy waffle weave towels, great for drying. "dab" don't "wipe"

Chemical guys makes a great window cleaner, use a microfiber towel

buy a lot of microfiber towels. once it hits the ground, don't use it again until it's been thoroughly clean. don't use fabric softener on them either. You have cleaning ones, you have buffing ones, you have polishing ones, etc.

Clay -- i hate claying. however there is this new product out called "nanoskin auto scrub" or something along those lines, i have it, i haven't used it, i'm dying to. It's a pad for the buffer and a lube that plays the roll of claying a car, supposed to be much quicker and easier.

Wheels -- if they're really dirty/caked on with brake dust like BMW wheels tend to be, hands down Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. Spray it on green, let it sit, watch it turn red, scrub, hose. all clean. For light duty i use CG "diablo Gel" this dilutes well and cleans up great, you can also use your soap (in a separate bucket from the one you wash wash your car with) and a sponge (separate from the one you wash the car with).

Glaze -- I use CG's E-Z Creme glaze. After your polish - before your sealant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    detailed image has some amazing "how tos" and autogeek and meguiars also have great "how to" videos on youtube.

as for recommending products to use, for soaps i LOVE LOVE "Chemical Guy" products, decently priced and great soaps, IMO. Some of them are meant for "foam guns", some are meant for stripping your wax/sealant.

Chemical guys has this video here that gives some information on what kind of soap of theirs to use : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtft2TcY6E

I also like to use "DoDo Juice" soaps. "born to be mild" for those weekly/frequent washes, and "sour power gloss enhancer" when my washes are a little further a part. They are a little more expensive per ounce than chemical guys, but are very dilutable. I usually hit the car with CG's "honey dew snow foam" soap with a pressure washer/foam blaster, then 2 bucket method with the dodo juice soaps.

Buffer/Buffer pads -- get a "random orbital buffer" this is going to limit any damage you could do to your clear coat, yet with advancements in pads it allows you to make some incredible restoration work. Here is where things get expensive because there are a ton of different pads, pad sizes, and different steps of products. This is where a thing call "test area" comes into play, that is testing a small 2x2' area with different pads/polish/compounds to find out what is going to get you the results you need. What you need really depends on the color of the car and how the paint looks.

-wax -- Now we have waxes and sealants. Sealants are synthetic and are going to be liquids, waxes are hard(ish). Sealants will provide a longer protection. I use CG (chemical guys) jetseal, I love it, however there are a lot better products out there like "Blackfire Wet Diamond". Waxes and Sealants can also be color dependent, certain waxes look better on dark cars, some on light, some on neutral. My waxes are a mix of CG petes 50/50 and dodo juice, depending on the color of car i'm working on. another thing to note -- sealants have a "cure time" this isn't just the time to wait until it hazes until you buff it out, but say you want to apply a wax afterwards, just to make it POP. You see you can't apply a sealant over a wax, the polymers just won't bond. so you do a sealant then a wax, however depending on the sealant you're going to need a ~24 hour "cure time" before you can apply the wax.

Interior dress up -- 303 Aerospace Protectant, Einszett Cockpit Premium, (for leather interior) Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Prestine Rejuvenator, for cloth, well i haven't really had to clean my cloth seats because i hit it with this shortly after i bought the car -- Wolfs Chemicals Nano Textile Sealant.

black plastic -- for trim pieces i use Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift Rubber Care Stick, i also use 303 Aerospace Protectant again (this is great for protecting stuff from sun fades), CG back to black or back in black, something like that, comes in an aerosol can.

-anything else

buy this: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR). This stuff is meant to be a "hoseless wash" soap, however at the right dilution you can use it for a quicker detailer, i tend to hit my car up with this after i'm done drying it. you can also dilute it for a clay lube. you can also use it for a regular wash, really a work horse soap.

Get an all purpose cleaner. I LOVE CG's "Grime Reaper," it's some strong stuff. I tend to use it if i make a mess with oil in the drive way or something, think brake cleaner... however you can dilute it for a general cleaner, Meg's also has a great all purpose cleaner. you'd be surprised at what you may use this stuff for outside of the car.

Buy waffle weave towels, great for drying. "dab" don't "wipe"

Chemical guys makes a great window cleaner, use a microfiber towel

buy a lot of microfiber towels. once it hits the ground, don't use it again until it's been thoroughly clean. don't use fabric softener on them either. You have cleaning ones, you have buffing ones, you have polishing ones, etc.

Clay -- i hate claying. however there is this new product out called "nanoskin auto scrub" or something along those lines, i have it, i haven't used it, i'm dying to. It's a pad for the buffer and a lube that plays the roll of claying a car, supposed to be much quicker and easier.

Wheels -- if they're really dirty/caked on with brake dust like BMW wheels tend to be, hands down Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. Spray it on green, let it sit, watch it turn red, scrub, hose. all clean. For light duty i use CG "diablo Gel" this dilutes well and cleans up great, you can also use your soap (in a separate bucket from the one you wash wash your car with) and a sponge (separate from the one you wash the car with).

Glaze -- I use CG's E-Z Creme glaze. After your polish - before your sealant.
    You just made my day. Loved reading this. Ill be purchasing some CGs stuff soon Click here to enlarge You should get commission lol
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 9 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

This post by lamthao927697 is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey BB,
    Im starting to run out of the meguiar's stuff i have been using and am looking at buying some chemicals/soaps/detailing equipment. I want to support someone on the forums, and am not sure who sells detailing products/equipment.

So, detailing vendors, chime in and let me see what you got! Im looking for:

-washing soap
    -buffer/buffer pads
    -wax

So the moral of the story, Id love to figure out how to properly detail the car and what to use. Thanks! http://www.e90post.com/forums/images...es/roundel.gif

-Eric
    I personally use alot of Auto Finesse products and swissvax. Both products are great but AF is way more affordable for the average person.

Here are my recommendations for stuff i use:

Washing soap: Auto Finesse Lather

Buffer/ Pads:
    • Rupes 15
    • Griots DA
    • Surbuf and Uber(detailers domain) pads

Wax: I highly recommend Auto Finesse Desire. Ive been using it on my car and the oily look it gives is by far the best you can get for the price IMO. Its rated to last 6 months and ive seen up to 9. But if you want a more affordable wax I recommend collinite or one of the other AF waxes in the range or even a sealant like Sonax Polymer Net Shield

Interior Products:
    • Adam's carpet cleaner(i bought the 1 gallon size)
    • Auto Finesse Spritz
    • Auto Finesse Hide cleaner
    • Swissvax Leather Milk (expensive at first, but trust me it will last you a long time)

Exterior Trim
    • Adam's Super VRT (trim only, do not use on rubber as it does not do anything)
    • 1z Rubber stick or Swissvax seal feed (rubber)

Glass
    • Auto Finesse Crystal
    • Rainx

Engine
    • Highly recommend Adam's In&out

Other products I recommend
    • Auto Finesse Tripple
    • Adam's All purpose cleaner
    • Sonax Brilliant shine quick detailer
    • a nice drying towel like the Swissvax one and even an electric blower. I use that on every car I do and it saves me so much time (blot and dab your towel to dry instead of swiping)
    • Water De-ionizer system (if you have really hard water)
    • A nice wheel wax (I use AF mint rims)
    • Sonax Full effect (remove brake dust on wheels)
    • Some really nice brushes for interior and exterior (I have the swissvax ones but im going to buy some Auto Finesse ones soon)
    • Some nice microfiber towels
    • Clay: dont buy the meguiars one as it leaves a residue on the paint. Buy the Griots one or even the clay magic brand. There is also the Nanoskin auto scrub pads which is a great alternative to clay.
    • Uber plastic razor blades (removing wax out of crevices)
    • Isopropyl alcohol (use a 50/50 mix with water to wipe down the car after claying to remove any residue)

The foam cannons u see people using are a great way to wash you car/ maintain it as it prevents marring of the paint and reduces the risk of getting swirl marks.

Im probably forgetting a few things. If you have any more questions, just feel free to ask

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have another question:

If i was to buy a random orbital buffer for less than $150, which one would i chose? Also, how do i know what pads/polishes to use and where to buy them?

@JR M3 and @chrisisnapping i owe you my life! Ive come to the conclusion that Chemical Guys and Detailers Domain are great places to buy stuff, and you have given me tons of recommendations that i will sift through and use to purchase new chemicals. I owe you guys! +rep!

I recently went out to Advance Auto Parts and bought myself another set of 12 microfiber towels. I now have like 20+, but it nevers seems to be enough!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wait, what did lamthao say? im like 250 rep short of being able to see it.... lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I have another question:

If i was to buy a random orbital buffer for less than $150, which one would i chose? Also, how do i know what pads/polishes to use and where to buy them?

@JR M3 and @chrisisnapping i owe you my life! Ive come to the conclusion that Chemical Guys and Detailers Domain are great places to buy stuff, and you have given me tons of recommendations that i will sift through and use to purchase new chemicals. I owe you guys! +rep!

I recently went out to Advance Auto Parts and bought myself another set of 12 microfiber towels. I now have like 20+, but it nevers seems to be enough!
    I have a Griots ROB. It is fantastic. And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zaino. I love their Zcs. Tire shine is amazing. And their leather care is awesome.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use Optimum No Rinse for the wash, and Autoglym products for just about everything else (available locally).

I used to do everything meticulously, with a rotary buffer or Porter Cable .. all the different compounds, polishes & pads. I used to spend hundreds on detailing products. Now to fix swirls, I just rely on Meg's ScratchX for 99% of scratches, and 1500/2000 grit wet sand + rubbing compound for the stubborn scratches.

I saved so much time and money when I became less OCD about my car; but it still looks great most of the time. I still get compliments Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have another question:

My experience is with porter cable 7424 xp, $117 on amazon. You can find packages for good deals too. I would suggest getting a package with a few pads and a backing plate or two

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    My experience is with porter cable 7424 xp, $117 on amazon. You can find packages for good deals too. I would suggest getting a package with a few pads and a backing plate or two
    Sounds good! Ill pick one up! Now to find the polishes/compounds and pads
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Just bought myself the Porter Cable 7424xp in a kit that included:
    1 CCS Orange Light Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    This light cutting pad is designed for the removal of mild to moderate swirls and scratches and light oxidation. This is a dense, closed cell foam that effectively levels the edges of scratches until they become flush with the surrounding paint. The orange light cutting foam pad is the most popular pads for the Porter Cable 7424XP and it works on the most common paint imperfections.

1 CCS White Polishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

1 CCS Gray Finishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2
    Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover is a blend of mild abrasives and lubricating oils that remove light to moderate imperfections on aging paint finishes. If your vehicle is not new but has no severe paint damage, this is the swirl remover for you. It removes light to moderate imperfections like swirls, mild scratches, and light oxidation without reducing surface gloss. You will not need a finishing polish.

12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze
    The gentle cleaners blend away minor flaws - like spider webbing, micro-marring, and overall dullness – to increase depth and clarity. At the same time, a layer of carnauba bonds to the paint surface to further enhance the dynamic shine created by the glaze. What can’t be removed with the cleaners is filled in with carnauba to create a smooth, flawless finish. It’s perfection and protection in one! Use XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze as the finale to your detailing process.

as well as a 12oz free sample bottle of another swirl remover.

Totalled $192.

Im also ordering some CG's soaps/polishes/compounds to go with it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @chrisisnapping

Hey Chris, i was wondering if you could comment on my proposed detailing schedule and see if i have the right idea:

1)Two-Bucket Hand Wash (using CG's Citrus Wash to remove everything, including wax)
    2)Use the 7424xp with orange cutting pad/swirl remover to get rid of swirls
    3)Use 7424xp with white finishing pad and a glaze
    4)Use 7424xp with a sealent or wax and a waxing pad OR hand-wax the car with one of my paste wax/microfiber towels

This is just for the paintwork, fyi.

My question is: is using the ROB to apply a wax more effective than a handwax with a towel/paste or no?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Basically this is the guide i will use, but with different products that came with the 7424 kit i bought (and eventually ill pick up the CGs stuff once i run out).

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @chrisisnapping

Hey Chris, i was wondering if you could comment on my proposed detailing schedule and see if i have the right idea:

1)Two-Bucket Hand Wash (using CG's Citrus Wash to remove everything, including wax)
    2)Use the 7424xp with orange cutting pad/swirl remover to get rid of swirls
    3)Use 7424xp with white finishing pad and a glaze
    4)Use 7424xp with a sealent or wax and a waxing pad OR hand-wax the car with one of my paste wax/microfiber towels

This is just for the paintwork, fyi.

My question is: is using the ROB to apply a wax more effective than a handwax with a towel/paste or no?
    i tend to apply sealant with a blue pad on the buffer, and paste wax by hand. For compounds and polishes, I'd recommend megs and menzerna for polishes, that's where my experience is.

Glaze I generally apply with a black pad. I never just used a swirl remover, I tend to use Meg's 105 on orange and then Meg's 205 on white, that tends to be pretty standard for getting out swirls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast