Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Njz Click here to enlarge
    sigh..... terry please buy a stage 1, 2 and 3 from VTT and get them tested and the data posted. It is frustrating that the cards are being played so close to the chest when vargas is basically relying on D to post his results (with logs obviously) in order to show improvements over stock turbos. The other guy who purchased them doesnt even have a tune for christ sake.

Edit: the data you did post looks promising, I will certainly say that but more would be appreciated. Especially considering the unique nature of your current setup.
    Terry got his Stage 3 at cost and I have let him know he can have a set of stage 1's or 2's at no cost any time to do independent testing and return them after he is done with them. This is what I do with Dzenno as the results are worth the price of admission in our book. I am totally open to different tuners testing them which is WHY I sent the beta stage 2's out to people specially using different tunes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I don't sell turbos so the lack of data doesn't effect me personally in any way. It just adds to the general skepticism of the turbo performance. If I saw in the log that it was running an overall boost curve similar to factory turbos, and an advance curve similar to factory turbos, but was producing say 15rw more than we've ever seen on factory turbos, then I'd be excited for the prospects of these. I'd be happy even if they performed the same as factory turbos but looked to be more durable as they don't cost much more. I suppose you're just the wrong guy with the wrong car to shed light on their performance.
    I'm surprised it took this long. Its amazing actually.

Once again, my car's results simply won't paint the picture of any turbo on a stock N54 motor. In fact, I wasn't even going to run them hard at all or even dyno them and you can ask Tony. This was a means to having the car back on the road for the interim while waiting on something bigger to arrive.

And another thing once more, what do you want to see that I already haven't mentioned tuning wise?

sigh..... terry please buy a stage 1, 2 and 3 from VTT and get them tested and the data posted. It is frustrating that the cards are being played so close to the chest when vargas is basically relying on D to post his results (with logs obviously) in order to show improvements over stock turbos. The other guy who purchased them doesnt even have a tune for christ sake.

Edit: the data you did post looks promising, I will certainly say that but more would be appreciated. Especially considering the unique nature of your current setup.
    I seriously don't know what your problem is or if there is a problem lol maybe just miscommunication. I don't have a single log that would serve you good due to the way my car is setup. I realize you are interested in seeing the results so you can make a decision on them if your current turbos go and I wish I can give you the data you're looking for but my car is just not the car that'll describe that well. Why would you even want that? What if my cylinder head work is actually behind all the gains here? Not that I'm saying it is but who's there to prove or disprove anything until these are on a stock N54 motor? If you think I'm being unfair with this then I really don't know what else you'd want me to say.

In addition to that I am really not holding any cards to my chest. I've already mentioned boost levels, timing, octane, issues with boost control and posted dynos in various forms.

Are you going with an upgraded cylinder head with a Stage 1 turbo from Vargas? I don't know you. Just be nice. I don't think I've had issues with you. Try to realize that I have these turbos on my car as just something to run to get me by. No dynos were ever promised to Tony or data. I was going to run them at stock boost for God's sake LOL you guys made me push them haha

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately D's results can't be used except to say they can be run to higher limits than the factory sets and they don't crap all over themselves. And I'm going to guess that even if the vendors did testing because they are vendors they will get scrutinized as being biased in some way.
    ^ This.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Where are the SAE corrected dyno's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Where are the SAE corrected dyno's?
    LOL get outta here hahaha
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    And another thing once more, what do you want to see that I already haven't mentioned tuning wise?
    I just like to see a dynojet and datalog in this sort of a format. That lets me sort through the bull$#@! and do some quick analysis. Then if I have questions on the data I'll read the tuners notes on why certain things are set the way they are. For example I don't understand why you need 24 degrees of advance so then I'd read your analysis of that to shed some light on it.

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I just like to see a dynojet and datalog in this sort of a format. That lets me sort through the bull$#@! and do some quick analysis. Then if I have questions on the data I'll read the tuners notes on why certain things are set the way they are. For example I don't understand why you need 24 degrees of advance so then I'd read your analysis of that to shed some light on it.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...c1d13669-1.jpg
    Why do I need 24 degrees of advance? Because the car made more power all the way up. It started to correct at 26 degrees so I had it backed down LOL How in the world would you assess the values in my logs when you haven't had a chance to ever tune a lower compression N54 yet to realize what works and what doesn't and how much/where etc? Also, timing changes with VANOS as well as boost. You'll see when you build your motor and drop compression but then we still won't be able to compare anything if you're dropping your compression to something like a low 9 or whatever else you think will be good.

Regardless, your questions have nothing to do with the Stage 1 upgrade from Vargas. I have no other data for you to share. See you in other threads, I'll try to make it just as entertaining for you Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I'm surprised it took this long. Its amazing actually.

Once again, my car's results simply won't paint the picture of any turbo on a stock N54 motor. In fact, I wasn't even going to run them hard at all or even dyno them and you can ask Tony. This was a means to having the car back on the road for the interim while waiting on something bigger to arrive.

I seriously don't know what your problem is or if there is a problem lol maybe just miscommunication. I don't have a single log that would serve you good due to the way my car is setup. I realize you are interested in seeing the results so you can make a decision on them if your current turbos go and I wish I can give you the data you're looking for but my car is just not the car that'll describe that well. Why would you even want that? What if my cylinder head work is actually behind all the gains here? Not that I'm saying it is but who's there to prove or disprove anything until these are on a stock N54 motor? If you think I'm being unfair with this then I really don't know what else you'd want me to say.

In addition to that I am really not holding any cards to my chest. I've already mentioned boost levels, timing, octane, issues with boost control and posted dynos in various forms.

Are you going with an upgraded cylinder head with a Stage 1 turbo from Vargas? I don't know you. Just be nice. I don't think I've had issues with you. Try to realize that I have these turbos on my car as just something to run to get me by. No dynos were ever promised to Tony or data. I was going to run them at stock boost for God's sake LOL you guys made me push them haha

^ This.
    If the gains you saw were directly related to your top end and the stage 1's were no better than stock turbos I would likely purchase your cylinder head upgrade.... Seems pretty cut and dry. Maybe you are reading into my posts as rude or hostile in some ways but for the most part I am just starved for data. VTT turbos are the single most exciting thing that has happened for this platform since I have been around and it seems like (other than on stage 3) data has come out terribly slow. The stage 2 betas were a nightmare honestly, EVERYONE who purchased them ran into issues with the install (cars left on the dyno for days at a time, the guy who does the tuning isnt around, the shop $#@!ed up my install, ect, ect). We are just now starting to get baseline dynos and we are still lacking sufficient logs for the stage 2's which honestly are where VTT is going to make most of his money and even stage 1's (if proven to be a true upgrade) will likely out produce (revenue wise) the few stage 3's that will be heading out the door for them. Bottomline is really this, you bought the turbos as a beta essentially since no one else has them currently and have basically sat on the data until just yesterday. If you were just some guy, I would not be some what irked that no data had been released yet but considering that you are one of the top tuners for this platform and have one of the most potent cars out there you kind of owe it to the community that supports you to release a detailed review with logs and dyno figures to back it up. Sorry if I come across as aggressive or rude, I guess it's the the lack of tone when typing that comes across as being a douche.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

how bad is the competition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bottomline is really this, you bought the turbos as a beta essentially since no one else has them currently and have basically sat on the data until just yesterday. If you were just some guy, I would not be some what irked that no data had been released yet but considering that you are one of the top tuners for this platform and have one of the most potent cars out there you kind of owe it to the community that supports you to release a detailed review with logs and dyno figures to back it up. Sorry if I come across as aggressive or rude, I guess it's the the lack of tone when typing that comes across as being a douche.
    Ok, figured it out finally. This is where the miscommunication lies. I did NOT buy these turbos for my car nor have I been considered or played part of the BETA program. Tony sent me a set as a favour to run them while waiting on something larger.

The point of these on my car was to run them low or STOCK boost and just be able to drive the car. I was without the car for more than a year waiting on the cylinder head upgrade to be done. I really just wanted to drive it that's all, period, full stop Click here to enlarge

Cards got mixed up when forums found out I had a set of Stage 1s on the car and I managed to actually get the car to run somewhat normal with the way the wastegates were setup and I noticed that even with the Stage 1 upgrade the car made good power.

Now, here's what I ACTUALLY wanted to do. I wanted a set of either brand new stock turbos on this car for the interim or a set of rebuilt stockers from Vargas to asses what the head is doing and how much. He suggested he had a set of Stage 1s sitting there if I wanted to give them a whirl so I did. So again, free of charge in the sake of beating on them and trying to see if/when they break IF i was up for it. Just someone doing someone else a favour for the time I've spent on the Stage 3 tuning with Tony. That is really all there is, no hidden cards or what have you.

Now, a question for you? Are you seriously interested in a cylinder head upgrade if it provides decent gains such as those posted in this thread on stock turbos? I.E. 25-35whp over stock turbos...it won't be cheap at all
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was without the car for more than a year waiting on the cylinder head upgrade to be done.
    Why did it take a year to port your head? Is there a link to a thread you made about it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Why did it take a year to port your head? Is there a link to a thread you made about it?
    Great question and I asked the same thing at the shop many times Click here to enlarge it wasn't just a port though. Custom super alloy valves were also done by Ferrea but regardless it shouldn't have taken nearly that long. Shop was extremely busy with other work all the time. I wasn't happy to say the least especially when I was told 6-8 weeks in the beginning lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great question and I asked the same thing at the shop many times Click here to enlarge it wasn't just a port though. Custom super alloy valves were also done by Ferrea but regardless it shouldn't have taken nearly that long. Shop was extremely busy with other work all the time. I wasn't happy to say the least especially when I was told 6-8 weeks in the beginning lol
    Thanks for the info. Ferrea for both intake and exhaust? Stock size? They are well known in the industry. If you don't want to give out the secrets of your head no big deal Click here to enlarge. Understandable if you are thinking of selling modified heads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info. Ferrea for both intake and exhaust? Stock size? They are well known in the industry. If you don't want to give out the secrets of your head no big deal Click here to enlarge. Understandable if you are thinking of selling modified heads.
    Here's some links to the info on our blog. No room to go bigger on the intake side and they've remained stock for now. Exhaust have been enlarged by 1mm and made out of the Ferrea Super Alloy that withstand more heat than Inconel according to their spec sheets. These valves on their own were stupid expensive to custom make for me but at least I've got the rights to them. Anyone else interested will just have to pony up and do the design/specs etc. We may just decide to offer them if there's enough interest and there's enough proof that the head port work is sound with gains.

http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2012...pgrade-part-1/

http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2012...pgrade-part-2/

http://blog.protuningfreaks.com/2012...first-startup/

By the way, for those interested, I'll be putting on bone stock N54 turbos on my car next and providing full disclosure, yes with DATALOGS @Terry@BMS . Then we'll at least be able to see the what have yous in terms of this cylinder head design and compare gains/losses, if there are any, at least on stock turbos properly.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 05-07-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Long read lol
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My question is who trapped 125 and went 11.2-3 in what seems to be a full weight coupe in Canada with m6 reps and re-11s with jb iso ?

I should have my car back within a few weeks I'll provide plenty of data logs, high boost dynos, and whatever else.

Have a vbox and I'm close enough to atco which ill go to as long as it's not 80 degrees by the time I get my car.

I was one of the stage two disappointments LOL thank competition BMW for thAt one. The tech Roberto in particular.
    Last edited by ChuckD05; 05-07-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well this is fun...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only way to find out is to put stock turbos back. To me, it looks like the cylinder head allows more breathing room up top. The graph is nice but what is that dip in the middle?

In any case, here's the dynos. I do realize some will attribute gains to my cylinder head work. To be honest I'd love that to be the case. I've asked Tony to also put Stage 1s on another stock motor N54, which he'll be doing soon, and we'll go through tuning it on the same octane. So take them as you wish.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Boost control..see my actuator comments
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So when the actuator gets fixed, the dip will be gone and simply continue to be a straight line to the top? Can we assume S2 is going to be the same but at a higher ceiling?

Edit: specifically talking about your car with cylinder head upgrade. The other dyno's aren't reflected in this situation.

Boost control..see my actuator comments

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It should be smooth with a properly set actuator.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123