Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I've also been told to never ceramic coat stainless. I have no bad personal experience, just something I was told by my fabricator friend.
    What is the reasoning behind it?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I'm not trying to argue, I've just never heard anyone else mention those issues with coating. Actually, my hot parts are with the coater right now being done. Hopefully no issues arise.
    Excellent! Yeah, I like positive informative technical discussions! I'll post back any info I find out at work that I am allowed to discuss outside of work.

I've also been told to never ceramic coat stainless. I have no bad personal experience, just something I was told by my fabricator friend.
    That's basically the same sort of source I've heard it from as well. I have my current set of cheapo raceland stainless dp's coated with Jet Hot's ceramic coating and haven't had any problems yet either. Although, I have seen the coating bubbling up around the welds from oxidation that has grown it's way out of the ceramic sandwiched steel. I left all the slag and sh*t on the inside since they're basically just a little power bump till I go single anyway. Figured I would see how they held up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'll post up what I can drum up from the people at work, but I am pretty sure it has to do with thermal expansion rate differences causing coating spallation and a corrosive interaction between the ceramics and stainless. I'll see what I can find out though and post back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    I'll post up what I can drum up from the people at work, but I am pretty sure it has to do with thermal expansion rate differences causing coating spallation and a corrosive interaction between the ceramics and stainless. I'll see what I can find out though and post back.
    That makes sense to me. But it works with other metals though even though they expand differently too?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That makes sense to me. But it works with other metals though even though they expand differently too?
    Correct. For example, and excuse the vagueness as it's necessary, I worked in one of our composite material testing labs doing fatigue analysis and a very high temp composite we were testing we have to use a very specific type of glue/epoxy/ceramic paste, what have you, to attach the thermo couple for temp measurement during the test and had a hell of a time getting the previous junk to stay on the composite until we realized the thermal expansion rates between them were different and then had to adjust our glue/epoxy/ceramic paste choice accordingly. After that, no more problems. Interesting thing too, was that the thermo couples were popping on cool down. Could be something similar with the ceramic coatings. Also, the heat cycles alone will effectively grit blast the coating off over time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He didn't really say anything other than it could potentially lead to cracking that I can remember. I could be forgetting as the conversation was a couple years ago. I think we were talking about exhaust manifolds specifically.

Excellent! Yeah, I like positive informative technical discussions! I'll post back any info I find out at work that I am allowed to discuss outside of work.

That's basically the same sort of source I've heard it from as well. I have my current set of cheapo raceland stainless dp's coated with Jet Hot's ceramic coating and haven't had any problems yet either. Although, I have seen the coating bubbling up around the welds from oxidation that has grown it's way out of the ceramic sandwiched steel. I left all the slag and sh*t on the inside since they're basically just a little power bump till I go single anyway. Figured I would see how they held up.
    Funny, I too run coated racelands. Mine are pretty new, so I can't say what effect the coating has, or if the dp even gets hot enough for something like this to matter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Funny, I too run coated racelands. Mine are pretty new, so I can't say what effect the coating has, or if the dp even gets hot enough for something like this to matter.
    Just check the weld areas periodically to see how they do. You have the salt water to deal with and I drive throw the winter with all the road salt for 2 winters now. Your's will most likely hold up longer though. Also, you'd be surprised how quickly ceramic coatings can spall off the base material at 1800F and up! Ask me how I know Click here to enlarge haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He didn't really say anything other than it could potentially lead to cracking that I can remember.
    Heating then cooling, repeatedly, I don't doubt it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Wish I could say I have good news on the ceramic issues, but spent the past few days at work stuck behind the computer screen modeling a stage 1 fan blade....exciting right? :/ Anyway, hopefully by mid week if things slow down a bit I'll be able to get out of the office and interact with live people again and get you guys some info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wish I could say I have good news on the ceramic issues, but spent the past few days at work stuck behind the computer screen modeling a stage 1 fan blade....exciting right? :/ Anyway, hopefully by mid week if things slow down a bit I'll be able to get out of the office and interact with live people again and get you guys some info!
    Live people are overrated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Live people are overrated.
    says the guy on the chat forum! hahaha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

All coatings are not created equal - much like the wrapping material.

That's basically the same sort of source I've heard it from as well. I have my current set of cheapo raceland stainless dp's coated with Jet Hot's ceramic coating and haven't had any problems yet either. Although, I have seen the coating bubbling up around the welds from oxidation that has grown it's way out of the ceramic sandwiched steel. .
    @mycoupe - based on your high-tech discussion of coating materials - I am really shocked you chose to use Jet-Hot ceramic coating on your DP's and other performance parts. I used Jet-hot many many years ago in my domestic days and the recent Supersprint V1 headers I picked up were coated by Jet-Hot by the PO. Not bashing it by any means as my old 5.0 still has a set of Jet-Hot coated headers (bubbling as you described as well). The stuff has a place in history for sure - but really is garbage compared to what is available from Swaintech and other(s) the past decade plus.

Swaintech white-lightning is head and shoulders above the Jet-Hot garbage (for a nominal increase in price $30-40 more for a set of headers).

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/

Upon first opening:
    Click here to enlarge

After three removals and re-installations and several "drops" trying to line them up (Jet-Hot would have chipped off):
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge

@mycoupe - based on your high-tech discussion of coating materials - I am really shocked you chose to use Jet-Hot ceramic coating on your DP's and other performance parts. I used Jet-hot many many years ago in my domestic days and the recent Supersprint V1 headers I picked up were coated by Jet-Hot by the PO. Not bashing it by any means as my old 5.0 still has a set of Jet-Hot coated headers (bubbling as you described as well). The stuff has a place in history for sure - but really is garbage compared to what is available from Swaintech and other(s) the past decade plus.

Swaintech white-lightning is head and shoulders above the Jet-Hot garbage (for a nominal increase in price $30-40 more for a set of headers).

Upon first opening:
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo.../G1ok27a-1.jpg

After three removals and re-installations and several "drops" trying to line them up (Jet-Hot would have chipped off):
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo.../ppaucYq-1.jpg
    Nicely posted!

And I love the way those coated headers look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I considered going with Swaintech (and really wanted to), but it was about a 3 week turnaround, and I would have had to ship the parts to them. I'm trying to get my car back together sooner than later, and I also feared the parts could get lost / damaged in shipping. Unfortunately, I can't just buy new parts if something happens since they are one-off. Still kind of second guessing the decision, though... Hopefully the place I went with does a good job.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge

Upon first opening:
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo.../G1ok27a-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo.../ppaucYq-1.jpg

To be honest with you, Jet hot was just what I knew from back in the day and did ZERO research into coatings companies before coating the dp's. I honestly think I may have paid $3xx for the dp's and the coating. I just figured it would be a band aid and a way to see how the cheap-o dp's performed while waiting for someone to single turbo the N54. Now I just sit and wait to see if other people will single turbo it! hahaha

I will definitely check out your link and look into swaintech for sure though!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123