Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Radiant heat in the engine bay with larger turbo kits

Hey guys,

When I was picking up the 135i from LT BMW last week I noticed a single turbo car in for repair. Apparently some parts under the hood had melted due to radiant heat from the turbo kit itself. The manifold was wrapped with header tape (not a fan of the stuff, had a fire with it years ago), but that still wasn't enough to protect everything. I think it was AC lines and some wires that melted. Anyway, heat management is something to keep in mind when installing aftermarket kits like this. Be it the FFTEC kit, VT3, or a hand made setup. Having everything thermal coated is probably a good first step. And metal heat shields may be required.

Just something to keep an eye on if running a kit like this.

T
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    HHmmm. thats interesting.. I wonder if the owner cares to comment

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    HHmmm. thats interesting.. I wonder if the owner cares is allowed to comment
    corrected Click here to enlarge
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol I don't think he is allowed to and I purposely didn't mention his name to keep him out of trouble. Anyway this is not a knock on their kit. Just one more attention to detail item that needs some attention. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    probably not allowed is right

@shiv@vishnu

care to use your 1 post per day to comment on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    the typical shiv buyer wont never post about this.....
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    the typical shiv buyer wont never post about this.....

depend on who it is.. we thought the same thing about the lackluster MPH at the drags we saw from a different member here. AND the misfire issue that I dont think has been solved.. hey whatever happened to that tmo335TT?

but i think most people want to talk about it, unless the shiv is reimbursing a portion of it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is where i point people who wonder why F1 is so expensive. We package the engine and gearbox with no room for external breathing. Then again, we also wrap all heat producing elements with gold. There was a image [ taken down apparently] of a carbon fibre bonnet on a car that ran a single, wasnt pretty!
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys,

When I was picking up the 135i from LT BMW last week I noticed a single turbo car in for repair. Apparently some parts under the hood had melted due to radiant heat from the turbo kit itself. The manifold was wrapped with header tape (not a fan of the stuff, had a fire with it years ago), but that still wasn't enough to protect everything. I think it was AC lines and some wires that melted. Anyway, heat management is something to keep in mind when installing aftermarket kits like this. Be it the FFTEC kit, VT3, or a hand made setup. Having everything thermal coated is probably a good first step. And metal heat shields may be required.

Just something to keep an eye on if running a kit like this.

T
    Yeah I've seen it too. I'm wondering if different years had different materials for some of the plastics. My car still looks fine, but I have seen others with melted components.
    pt6466 FFTEC 335i
    gtx3076r FFTEC Evo IX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't get it, this potentially could cause an engine bay fire and lead to some serious, serious issues. A person's life is a bit more important than market perception isn't it?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I hope shiv is going to pay for the damage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BOOST3D Click here to enlarge
    Ya and I hope for peace in the Middle East.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ya and I hope for peace in the Middle East.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Has anybody done any under hood temp testing? Switching to a vented hood, removing all the seals etc.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BOOST3D Click here to enlarge

I find it interesting that Shiv didn't have this issue with "over 20k hard-driven miles"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

It's gotta be creaminz car. He's the only ST owner I know of in la and has ltbmw do all his work. Hopefully shiv steps up and takes care of it but I'm not holding my breath

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Radiant heat is a $#@!. I blew through about 4 O2 sensors on the rear bank with my home made top-mount setup; but no problems on the front bank. The front sensor is in a much cooler spot, so I'm thinking what's good for the goose is good for the gander (which is apparently is just a MALE goose... Kind of redundant LOL). Anyway, I'll have an update on all of that, soon.

EDIT: Oh, and for the second round, I will be going with fully ceramic coated pipes.
    Last edited by Eleventeen; 05-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

7 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I need to make some correction. It was AC line that was busted which never heat wrapped/heat sleeve from the beginning which I should have. So we extened ac lines to go around the manifold and this time heat wrapped the $#@! out of it, so far so good. I thought Terry liked my car Click here to enlarge didnt know he sherlock holmes my property to find any flaw he can find. Not coo brahhh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by creaminz Click here to enlarge
    I need to make some correction. It was AC line that was busted which never heat wrapped/heat sleeve from the beginning which I should have. So we extened ac lines to go around the manifold and this time heat wrapped the $#@! out of it, so far so good. I thought Terry liked my car Click here to enlarge didnt know he sherlock holmes my property to find any flaw he can find. Not coo brahhh
    Car looks sweet with the new fenders, etc! I saw a few things including the melted stuff. Not my place to comment on your car which was why I didn't and won't mention any specifics of anything I do or do not know about it. Just that radiant heat is something to keep an eye on with these aftermarket turbo setups. I think the manifold should be coated and a heat shield or two added.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CaptainInsano Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I've seen it too. I'm wondering if different years had different materials for some of the plastics. My car still looks fine, but I have seen others with melted components.
    It should be easy to correct. Maybe they could weld a couple points to the top of the manifold to allow a shield to screw down between the engine and the fender, for example.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The issue is half the crap under the hood of modern cars is made of plastic!!!! It might be time to really think about a functional vented hood for these guys!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder if this will be more of an issue for AT cars since the radiater is cooling both the engine and the tranny. Plus the fftec turbo is only oil cooled unlike the Vargas kit is both oil and water cooled like the stock turbos. Anyways glad it was an easy fix!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The exhaust manifold gets retardedly hot, even with the header wrap. I had one of the plastic connectors for the boost solenoid fall on it without me knowing (the connector isn't used and is supposed to be tucked under the engine cover. The connector started melting to the exhaust manifold. Luckily, I caught it before any serious damage was done. I constantly checked those things after that, though, and everything around it. Vented hood might be a good idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    AND the misfire issue that I dont think has been solved.. hey whatever happened to that tmo335TT?
    The misfire issue was completely cleared up on my car after I installed the SMFW. Never got one again after that. I believe tmo335TT sold his car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    The misfire issue was completely cleared up on my car after I installed the SMFW. Never got one again after that. I believe tmo335TT sold his car.
    lol, tmo sold his car? how odd..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast