Close

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok so who did the install then, where are the pics of the discs, where are all these details? All we get is a dyno graph that could come from a non-DCT car, a DCT car with stock discs, etc. How that proves a trans upgrade is functioning I have no clue.

Considering this would be the first documented case of a DCT car working with the "extra SSP discs" as he is claiming I would think that's a pretty big deal.

And what does a tuned M5/M6 put down? Or even stock? And how does it do with launch control?

Now you're just guessing and I'm not impressed.
    LOL sorry man I really just have no other info. I don't know why you're asking me for any of this. I just put the car on the dyno and tuned the thing then Joe drove it on the street. I'm giving you all of my first hand experience with THIS car that's all. I didn't participate in ANY dct related build nor have I seen its internals. It'd best be for you to maybe contact SJL as they did the work.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

A stock DCT can handle that power, nothing to be jealous about.
    Who's running 500wtq on a stock DCT? Is it holding up? Not arguing or anything at all. I have nothing to do with this upgrade or SSP. I don't even know who they are. I've met Steve from SJL once a couple years ago and saw him with Joe the other day on the dyno. That's the extent of my experience with anything DCT build related lol I'm just curious if that tranny really can hold that much with just a proper flash tune on its own.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    LOL sorry man I really just have no other info. I don't know why you're asking me for any of this. I just put the car on the dyno and tuned the thing then Joe drove it on the street. I'm giving you all of my first hand experience with THIS car that's all. I didn't participate in ANY dct related build nor have I seen its internals. It'd best be for you to maybe contact SJL as they did the work.
    You're interjecting hence why I'm asking.

Ok you put a car on a dyno and it was driven. And? This proves what?

And this has what to do with my trans? I'm wondering why this guy is even using his DCT that supposedly has similar upgrades (yet mine took years, go figure) as evidence my trans is supposedly just peachy.

Are people this stupid?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Who's running 500wtq on a stock DCT? Is it holding up? Not arguing or anything at all. I have nothing to do with this upgrade or SSP. I don't even know who they are. I've met Steve from SJL once a couple years ago and saw him with Joe the other day on the dyno. That's the extent of my experience with anything DCT build related lol I'm just curious if that tranny really can hold that much with just a proper flash tune on its own.
    You have brand new M cars running just about this torque, stock.

I know of a car running WAY more torque than any of you could possibly guess on the stock discs. The problem isn't the discs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

I've met Steve from SJL once a couple years ago and saw him with Joe the other day on the dyno.
    WHO IS STEVE @ SJL?!?!? Lol, I cannot get any results when I google "Steve @ SJL", "SJL Transmission", "SJL + DCT" except for this thread.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

You're interjecting hence why I'm asking.

Ok you put a car on a dyno and it was driven. And? This proves what?

And this has what to do with my trans? I'm wondering why this guy is even using his DCT that supposedly has similar upgrades (yet mine took years, go figure) as evidence my trans is supposedly just peachy.

Are people this stupid?
    Proves nothing in terms of whether it holds up to beating or repeated launches at all. I agree. However, when I did the street tune with him about 3 weeks ago the car would go into some form of limp mode every time we launched it in 1st and sometimes in 2nd. When he came for the dyno they did something else to it and it had no issues on the road. I was in the car. That is ALL I've been able to experience and can share.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

You have brand new M cars running just about this torque, stock.

I know of a car running WAY more torque than any of you could possibly guess on the stock discs. The problem isn't the discs.
    Which car is that? I'm very new to all of this DCT build related drama so excuse my newbiness.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    WHO IS STEVE @ SJL?!?!? Lol, I cannot get any results when I google "Steve @ SJL", "SJL Transmission", "SJL + DCT" except for this thread.
    SJL is a local shop here in Toronto. Steve is a great guy I met there. I think he's the owner but not sure. You might not find much online but they're definitely legit and work mostly on GTRs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Proves nothing in terms of whether it holds up to beating or repeated launches at all. I agree. However, when I did the street tune with him about 3 weeks ago the car would go into some form of limp mode every time we launched it in 1st and sometimes in 2nd. When he came for the dyno they did something else to it and it had no issues on the road. I was in the car. That is ALL I've been able to experience and can share.
    No it doesn't even prove there are any DCT hardware changes. It's just a dyno run.

Seems someone played with the trans software. Maybe the hardware too. Who knows, no details just a bunch of text.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Which car is that? I'm very new to all of this DCT build related drama so excuse my newbiness.
    I'm pretty sure you can figure it out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

No it doesn't even prove there are any DCT hardware changes. It's just a dyno run.

Seems someone played with the trans software. Maybe the hardware too. Who knows, no details just a bunch of text.
    It certainly doesn't prove anything except that the car used to run like crap in 1st and sometimes 2nd and now it doesn't. In fact, now its running nothing short of amazing. I guess they'll release details when they go through enough testing with the build on Joe's car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm a close friend of Joe and can attest that he does have the SSP upgraded clutch pack and Steve @SJL is the tech who installed it. The reason Joe went to Steve is because of his work on the GTR transmissions including on a Switzer 1K here in Ontario. As to why he is attacking you not sure lol.
    08 335i | Space Gray | Burl Walnut Wood Trim | Sport pkg | Premium Pkg | LOGIC7 | Navi | Comfort Access

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pho_e92 Click here to enlarge
    I'm a close friend of Joe and can attest that he does have the SSP upgraded clutch pack and Steve @SJL is the tech who installed it. The reason Joe went to Steve is because of his work on the GTR transmissions including on a Switzer 1K here in Ontario. As to why he is attacking you not sure lol.
    Which clutch pack? Extra discs? Just the stronger regular discs? Who did the programming?

It really doesn't even matter this has nothing to do with getting my SSP transmission fixed it only serves to skew attention off it which is the goal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

A stock DCT can handle that power, nothing to be jealous about.
    Has Gintani turned up the boost yet?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I don't understand this drama. It seems pretty clear to me. Sticky had a bad experience. The choices are very simple:

1: Sticky did what he could and got screwed.
    2: Sticky is leaving out details and screwed SSP until they ditched him.

If the latter is the case, there is no reason (that's viable) that SSP wouldn't just say "Sticky didn't pay/insulted my mom/burnt nacho's and that's just unacceptable so we backed out." Don't give me lawyer bull$#@!, something went wrong and someone screwed someone.

My experience in the aftermarket tuning/etc is that most tuners/shops like when things go very smooth and there is no problem. Introduce an "unsolveable" problem and they'll squirm a bit for a while then just stop communicating. I have no dog in this fight, but that's the pattern I've seen again, and again.

If this is wrong, then SSP or a rep should make it well known what it is that justifies their ditching a (presumably) paying customer. For the record, them being great with a new guy means absolutely nothing about how they treated previous customers. In fact, reference what I said above. They screw a couple guys figuring out the DCT stuff, ignore/ditch them, and the first dude that everything works for calls them a hero.

So, if you have a good experience with SSP, great, it doesn't mean that won't all go to hell if something goes wrong. You know how dating a new girl goes... it's all cotton candy and buttercups until you disagree on something, then the dragon lady comes out.

You want people to say you have good customer service? Fix it. Period, end of story. Do what it takes, or back out and admit it.

Either way all this drama is ridiculous. You certainly can't expect someone who is an admin on a board who got screwed by a shop to be happy while people who weren't involved in his build talk $#@! about why he doesn't like SSP. Jesus. That hurt even typing.

One last thing. I got screwed by a Subaru tuner years ago. I found a new guy who worked his ass off to fix things and make it all right. I'm STILL pissed about the first guy blowing me off, taking my cash, and having my car audibly detonate at peak torque, all the while he just stopped responding to me asking for help/proving logs, etc. "that's normal". My ass, pulling 8* of timing at peak torque, DME screaming bloody murder and crying itself to sleep. If anyone mentioned that tuner I'd at least PM them, show them logs and warn them that the dude is a dick who didn't fix what he screwed up. That's not "not letting go", it's remembering that some $#@! screwed you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Has Gintani turned up the boost yet?
    No it's not my trans. They were just testing. I'm not concerned about high boost it's a low torque motor making power with revs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    1: Sticky did what he could and got screwed.
    2: Sticky is leaving out details and screwed SSP until they ditched him.
    Which one do you think is more plausible?

I haven't even talked to SSP since I finally got them to return my car and trans which I'm just happy wasn't sold off Hennessey style.

I posted the e-mail of my last contact and the response I got. Now all I get is this kind of crap or threats from lawyers to pull my thread with my experience/posts down. I'm just sitting here trying to get my car working but at least we now know an OEM trans works in the SSP trans place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    One last thing. I got screwed by a Subaru tuner years ago. I found a new guy who worked his ass off to fix things and make it all right. I'm STILL pissed about the first guy blowing me off, taking my cash, and having my car audibly detonate at peak torque, all the while he just stopped responding to me asking for help/proving logs, etc. "that's normal". My ass, pulling 8* of timing at peak torque, DME screaming bloody murder and crying itself to sleep. If anyone mentioned that tuner I'd at least PM them, show them logs and warn them that the dude is a dick who didn't fix what he screwed up. That's not "not letting go", it's remembering that some $#@! screwed you.
    so Shiv burned you pretty bad huh Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Wow....Relax guys..

congrats bro on the numbers...Such a wicked setup you have (I have seen it).
    07 338xi | TiAG | Premium Pkg | Carbon Fiber Trim Wrap | E90 | BMW Perf. Intake | BMW Perf. Exhaust | Active Autowerke Stage 2 | 3 Stage Intake Manifold | KW V1 | Euro Xenon Headlights | VMR V710 | Custom Car Coding |
    See my dyno results---> http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...ified-AA-FLASH)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Another thing that's really interesting is how did Serps get the clutch pack when they've been listed as "Sold Out" on the SSP website since 4/24 (Post #3057 in Sticky's DCT thread)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Which one do you think is more plausible?

I haven't even talked to SSP since I finally got them to return my car and trans which I'm just happy wasn't sold off Hennessey style.

I posted the e-mail of my last contact and the response I got. Now all I get is this kind of crap or threats from lawyers to pull my thread with my experience/posts down. I'm just sitting here trying to get my car working but at least we now know an OEM trans works in the SSP trans place.
    I don't know you, but based on my experiences with someone who hosed my car up, and the basic way that business seems to be often done in the aftermarket car tuning/parts arena, I'm going to go with choice #1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    so Shiv burned you pretty bad huh Click here to enlarge
    No, I dodged that bullet. Tuner that screwed me was Alex Wohlwend, a New Hampshire tuner. It was years ago. I should have gotten a refund, nevermind that I ended up having a cracked ringland and replacing pistons with 29k on the odometer. He apologized after I sent him an email telling him how another tuner fixed his screwup and showed him how the timing being pulled was real.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

What doesn't make sense at all is how the op stated he was glad he didn't listen to sticky and his thread....hmmm THAT is fishy since sticky never took his issues with SSP public till 3 1/2 weeks ago. So the op somehow read the thread, saw all the issues and then decided to disregard stickys issues, have his trans built, installed, and tuned on the dyno....in 3 weeks.

Highly unlikely.

Where there's smoke there is fire.... Smells like BS.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    What doesn't make sense at all is how the op stated he was glad he didn't listen to sticky and his thread....hmmm THAT is fishy since sticky never took his issues with SSP public till 3 1/2 weeks ago. So the op somehow read the thread, saw all the issues and then decided to disregard stickys issues, have his trans built, installed, and tuned on the dyno....in 3 weeks.

Highly unlikely.

Where there's smoke there is fire.... Smells like BS.
    Of course. This is SSP's pawn at the moment and like it's a coincidence this comes after I post my issues and he is posting links to this in my build thread. Easy to see what is going on here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Another thing that's really interesting is how did Serps get the clutch pack when they've been listed as "Sold Out" on the SSP website since 4/24 (Post #3057 in Sticky's DCT thread)
    It because they had a softer clutch pack in development, not being advertised, behind the scenes to work with the "current software" on our cars.

How do I know this ? In July 2012 I contacted Kris G about their interest in working on my N54 DCT. They pretty much told me in technical summary the problems they were having with their current BMW DCT clutch pack in which the problem was software related to the mechatronics controller.

Kris did say in conclusion that they had a softer clutch pack being developed to work with the current software. I think our discussion went sour as Kris was recommending a shop in Royal Palm Beach Florida to do the build and I did not trust the shop he recommended and was up front. So I suggested another shop, and would get back with him, but that shop just left me hanging with no response ie no interest

I finally found a shop, and emailed Kris that I got a reputable shop and to let me know when the clutch pack is ready BUT never got a response back from him. The email is dated 07/24/2012 12:09 PM (Just in case you need to go back and look for it Kris)

From since then I have been waiting for this new clutch pack to get posted on their website, no show, until the OP.

So I do believe the OP does have the new clutch pack which does not require meddling with the TCU software. When "repairing" the DCT all is needed is to reset the DCT module(s). Why did it back the fist time ? "Perhaps" prior to dropping the DCT the tech didn't reset all the modules and had to do so when it came back.

Anyhow, I am glad the clutch pack went that direction as it will be utilized correctly and tested with a reputable tuner that will surely take advantage of it. They will get more out of it than I would have been able to.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast