Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vargas Turbo Tech STG 3 on 335XI ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Vargas Turbo Tech STG 3 on 335XI ?

I convinced my brother to buy some turbo's for the car. (we've always been in competition)

What are some things you gents think I need to consider adding to the list- besides tuning of course.
    its a 2009 6MT E92.

I cant see any VTT info, the stuff that's posted, and then the stuff that's NOT posted, so this is more of a general brainstorming session of what USERS would do.

Car will DEFINITELY see the drag strip, but its main focus will be attempting to hunt down the infamous and elusive GTR's..

Thank you

2. #ADS

richpike is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I don't know, but just make sure you post some logs. Haha - sorry, couldn't help myself Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Bringing the car up to mod level with a normal FBO would be first, and temper expectations for hunting the GTR Click here to enlarge From what I can tell the XI is a good 6mph down on traps to a similarly modded 335i all other things being equal. I equate this to drivetrain loss and the extra 250lbs it carries.

The suspension seemed to help a lot with BobVadar, who's got the fastest 335xi 6MT, I'm not sure if he has a 2-step setup but that might be nice to have as well. Also I often wondered if it would be worthwhile to try and do what the evo guys do, and find a way to run motorcycle slicks on the car instead of installing regular drag slicks...not sure about that one being that the 335xi probably weighs a good 600lb more. Of course if you end up having to buy half-shafts, that will be pricey for both axles, but since the rear takes the brunt of the torque maybe it would be OK just doing the rear if they break.

I'll be watching how this goes, if someone gets VTT stage 3 to fix on an XI and it does OK I may sell my 6AT 335xi and buy a 6MT (assuming no 6AT solution arrives).

benzy89 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Why you asking us? Between your 335 + @undercover, you've already got all the right answers Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    420 WHP on 93 Octane | 460 WHP on E85
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I convinced my brother to buy some turbo's for the car. (we've always been in competition)

What are some things you gents think I need to consider adding to the list- besides tuning of course.
    its a 2009 6MT E92.

I cant see any VTT info, the stuff that's posted, and then the stuff that's NOT posted, so this is more of a general brainstorming session of what USERS would do.

Car will DEFINITELY see the drag strip, but its main focus will be attempting to hunt down the infamous and elusive GTR's..

Thank you
    are you sort of vaguely asking if the VTT3's will fit XI? he' stated it's a future thing to check (or if someone would be willing to lend one for testing?).

ED: worst case, buy a set and modify the downpipes most likely? assuming there's not something massive in the way of the whole rear turbo itself?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    excuse my ignorance but what can the 335xi transfer case handle to date wtq wise? that'd be my main concern. the few examples of the e46 xi w/FI has failed miserably and that was at ~3rd of the torque VTT3 offers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Drags, 60-130 or both?

Personally I'd think about a used set of RBs, really good clutch and maybe some weight reduction (battery, wheels, maybe even brakes). I think the axles will hold up since the power is split x4 but the transfer case has a known problem where the worm gear that applies force to the clutches in there just gets eaten up with a lot of abuse.

A guy with the name "Jack M." on E90poop with a shop that does a lot of transfer case upgrades for other platforms said he was working on upgrading but's been silent for a bit. I can't bring myself to link E90poop here but go to the XI section and look up the thread titled "Transfer Case Upgrade Possibilities". Page 8 in particular has good info and a picture of a chewed up worm gear for the Tcase.

How serious is your bro about going more than 500AWHP? Starts to get real pricey after that point.

Q4P is offline Member
    2JZ

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I stopped reading at the part where gtr's are discussed but unfortunately that was the last thing written... best of luck, you will need a lot of it.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    excuse my ignorance but what can the 335xi transfer case handle to date wtq wise? that'd be my main concern. the few examples of the e46 xi w/FI has failed miserably and that was at ~3rd of the torque VTT3 offers
    We don't know yet, but there are shops ready to take it on if people start breaking them. That shouldn't stop anybody.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    Bringing the car up to mod level with a normal FBO would be first, and temper expectations for hunting the GTR Click here to enlarge From what I can tell the XI is a good 6mph down on traps to a similarly modded 335i all other things being equal. I equate this to drivetrain loss and the extra 250lbs it carries.

The suspension seemed to help a lot with BobVadar, who's got the fastest 335xi 6MT, I'm not sure if he has a 2-step setup but that might be nice to have as well. Also I often wondered if it would be worthwhile to try and do what the evo guys do, and find a way to run motorcycle slicks on the car instead of installing regular drag slicks...not sure about that one being that the 335xi probably weighs a good 600lb more. Of course if you end up having to buy half-shafts, that will be pricey for both axles, but since the rear takes the brunt of the torque maybe it would be OK just doing the rear if they break.

I'll be watching how this goes, if someone gets VTT stage 3 to fix on an XI and it does OK I may sell my 6AT 335xi and buy a 6MT (assuming no 6AT solution arrives).

realistically, FBo knowing a stg 3 is going on, what is there to do? FMIC and meth kit right?

GTR hunting is a long term goal, but a 700hp 335 SHOULD be more than enough for a 600hp gtr.. should.. higher than that and built motor territory.

the lack of xi data is why im asking around. I see it as more of a less than favorable conditions, ie driver/setup/commitment for a 6mph difference

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Why you asking us? Between your 335 + @undercover, you've already got all the right answers Click here to enlarge

measure twice, cut once

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    are you sort of vaguely asking if the VTT3's will fit XI? he' stated it's a future thing to check (or if someone would be willing to lend one for testing?).

ED: worst case, buy a set and modify the downpipes most likely? assuming there's not something massive in the way of the whole rear turbo itself?

sorry, your input is invalid. you have already proven yourself to not have the mental capacity to participate positively in threads

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    part of what im looking to answer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Drags, 60-130 or both?

Personally I'd think about a used set of RBs, really good clutch and maybe some weight reduction (battery, wheels, maybe even brakes). I think the axles will hold up since the power is split x4 but the transfer case has a known problem where the worm gear that applies force to the clutches in there just gets eaten up with a lot of abuse.

A guy with the name "Jack M." on E90poop with a shop that does a lot of transfer case upgrades for other platforms said he was working on upgrading but's been silent for a bit. I can't bring myself to link E90poop here but go to the XI section and look up the thread titled "Transfer Case Upgrade Possibilities". Page 8 in particular has good info and a picture of a chewed up worm gear for the Tcase.

How serious is your bro about going more than 500AWHP? Starts to get real pricey after that point.
    As ,uch as I liek RB's, and what they offer, its not enough for what i want to take this car to. ive been there already. They make great power, but capped. This car will be dedicated project car, and see how far we can take it

Thanks for the insight about the transfer case stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    I stopped reading at the part where gtr's are discussed but unfortunately that was the last thing written... best of luck, you will need a lot of it.
    you know the definition of "luck" right..? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

part of what im looking to answer
    Would be awesome to get some data here since it will be a dedicated project car. Mine is my DD, so I would prefer not to be the one leading the way on exploding TCs to find limits as I bump up to non-crap gas on the single this summer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    if you were to go all out. I'd start w Big tom or 7' IC, full catless mids and exhaust (minus custom DP), fat chargepipe and forge DVs w thicker springs, an HFS meth kit, a drum of e98, LSD, M3 arms/sways and solid bushings, 18-19 lbs 18" wheels, coilovers, diff lockdown, dss axles, and a catch can/breather setup. Oh and the UUC w DSSR shift kit and upgraded tranny bushings for the 6mt. Throw in the bmw perf steering wheel too. Rest is in the turbo kit! Literal perfection.

Probably wanna swap out the oil pan, valve cover, and oil filter housing gaskets too before the build
    2007 AW/Beige E92 335i 6MT / JB4 G5 ISO E85 w BMS Cobb Flash / NLS/2STEP / RPi IC / BMS DCI / Raceland DPs / CMGS VC2 Trunk Meth(off) / ACT HD Clutch / NGK Step Colder Plugs / BMW SSK/UUC KNOB / M3 Front Control Arms / CF Trunk Lip/Mirror Covers / LED Angel Eyes / LCI Taillights / M-tech front lip / TR Motorsport(Enkei) MT1 18x8/18x9.5 / Hankook Ventus V12s 245/275

bigdnno98 is offline Building a 10sec DSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

you may want to hold out a little while and see what becomes of the HPF twin scroll single kit. If they can get if finished and working, a single, twin scroll turbo is going to be the best bet for this platform.
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Startup Teaser http://youtu.be/hwBLSSlkKtY

Click here to enlarge

bigdnno98 is offline Building a 10sec DSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I beat GTRs in my old 335i on stock turbos Click here to enlarge

RBs is enough to beat most GTRs you meet on the highway. You won't need an XI to do it either.

If 700HP is your goal and beating GTRs is a side note, I'd def get with HPF. Maybe he can get in as a beta tester.
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Startup Teaser http://youtu.be/hwBLSSlkKtY

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

realistically, FBo knowing a stg 3 is going on, what is there to do? FMIC and meth kit right?

GTR hunting is a long term goal, but a 700hp 335 SHOULD be more than enough for a 600hp gtr.. should.. higher than that and built motor territory.

the lack of xi data is why im asking around. I see it as more of a less than favorable conditions, ie driver/setup/commitment for a 6mph difference
    Saw someone didn't like my comment above, nice Click here to enlarge

As far as performance mods, same as a 335i.

One note on the suspension, I would for sure wait to upgrade it until after I did the big mods, and see how it launches stock, sometimes that squishy suspension can be good for weight transfer to the rear wheels. On the XI there was a guy running drag slicks on his rear wheels at the track, not sure if that lowered his 60' or not but kind of an interesting idea.

I'm trying not to bug idspeedskater on e90post too much, but he's the only one with a high WHP 335xi right now that I know of and the vbox numbers are sparse. He has done some running of it on the vbox (60-130 9.26 on a 0.7% upslope) but no 1/8 or 1/4 traps so not really sure what his car is capable of in the 1/4 mile. He would be the best to follow seeing as his car should be making ~560-570awhp on a dynojet from his 519awhp mustang run.

On a downslope he could be in the mid to low 8.x range, which is about right for the loss % on a 335xi. That will help you run with tuned GTRs from a roll for sure, add another 100whp to that and you should be comfortably in the 7.x range especially if you lighten the car down ~250-300lbs (Seats, battery, exhaust, low fuel, lightweight 17'' wheels).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

As ,uch as I liek RB's, and what they offer, its not enough for what i want to take this car to. ive been there already. They make great power, but capped. This car will be dedicated project car, and see how far we can take it

Thanks for the insight about the transfer case stuff
    NP. If it's a project car and not a DD then it makes sense re RB's being a cap where you're going.

Good luck with it.

dzenno@PTF is offline Supporting Vendor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

DCT XI Click here to enlarge That'd be the ultimate N54
    Click here to enlarge
    Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    DCT XI Click here to enlarge That'd be the ultimate N54
    B8 S4/S5 w/DSG (and OEM LSD!)?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I beat GTRs in my old 335i on stock turbos Click here to enlarge

RBs is enough to beat most GTRs you meet on the highway. You won't need an XI to do it either.

If 700HP is your goal and beating GTRs is a side note, I'd def get with HPF. Maybe he can get in as a beta tester.
    Since the goal was for an XI I'm guessing he wants to focus on drag strip races. The mags list the newer GTR as running low 11's stock so maybe highway rolls might be doable but that's going to take a a lot of work and power just to get an XI to run high 10's.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, BMS DCI, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Since the goal was for an XI I'm guessing he wants to focus on drag strip races. The mags list the newer GTR as running low 11's stock so maybe highway rolls might be doable but that's going to take a a lot of work and power just to get an XI to run high 10's.

i dont see a big difference in drag racing and XI setups. what works for one, can easily work for the other, besides gearing

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast