Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Take a look at my data logs? Car falling on its face

Car has been acting weird ever since it came back from the dealer for new turbos, injectors, HPFP, etc. See THIS THREAD for one issue that has popped up.

The car is currently stock except for Cobb Stage 1 Drive map. In addition to the issue noted above the car seems to be falling on its face after a 2-3 gear shift with moderate to heavy acceleration. Car does not neet to be WOT to get it to happen and it generally happens more often when I shift before redline (car is a 6AT)

When I accelerate in 2nd gear and then shift to 3rd before redline the car just falls flat, stumbles for a bit and then picks up. It feels like a misfire or knock but I don't get a check engine light and there are no codes.

I tried the capture it in a datalog but it of course wasn't as pronounced as a few prior ones.

Datalog #5 is probably the closest but still nothing like when I tried to get on the freeway earlier in the day. (Can't figure out how to post CSV files Click here to enlarge )

Car is going back to dealer one way or another but any thoughts on these logs?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I'm looking at that correctly, you're having a hard time hitting AFR targets. Try resetting adaptations?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    If I'm looking at that correctly, you're having a hard time hitting AFR targets. Try resetting adaptations?
    Hmm, the adaptations should have been reset with the loading of the Cobb map, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That TPS drop between shifts does not look normal to me, and I am not seeing it on logs from other cars.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    Hmm, the adaptations should have been reset with the loading of the Cobb map, right?
    It resets the ECU, it doesn't reset adaptations. I meant to say, use INPA to reset those if you can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It resets the ECU, it doesn't reset adaptations. I meant to say, use INPA to reset those if you can.
    Which ones in particular would you recommend?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    Which ones in particular would you recommend?
    all of them in inpa. just to rule it out. The one thing that sticks out most is that your AFR is taking its sweet time hitting target. Maybe try a WOT pull through the gears so we can get a better idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    all of them in inpa. just to rule it out. The one thing that sticks out most is that your AFR is taking its sweet time hitting target. Maybe try a WOT pull through the gears so we can get a better idea.

Alrighty ill give that shot. I think most of the WOT pulls I have done have felt decent. It was the near WOT (80-90% throttle) with a shift before redline where the car absolutely falls flat and stumbles, almost like it ran out of fuel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay I reset all adaptations I could find using the BT tool. Did a multigear pull today and here is the datalog. The AFRs look much better to me but what do you think of the timing? I couldn't get the car to act up like it did yesterday, so some progress has been made I think.

Cobb Stage 1 Drive map, car is stock, Shell 91 in the tank.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a hard time reading non-JB4 logs visually but at quick glance looks like an advance/octane issue.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AFR looks rock solid on this log. Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with this log short the timing flatlining post-shift. 6AT I'm assuming.

Maybe just a boost control issue at heavy part throttle? I recall having boost oscillation issues back in the day when I ran Stage 2 + FMIC aggressive ST.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay, as mentioned in my surging thread, got the car back from the dealer and the issues were not addressed. Did a pull today and finally captured the car sputtering and falling on its face. Right when I get the sputtering the AFR's completely disappear. They aren't logged and there are no values in the CSV file. That length of missing data is precisely the length that the car sputters and when the AFRs come back the car picks up and goes but with some crappy AFRs to follow. WTF is going on...... This is with Cobb Stage 1 Drive map

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bad o2 sensor or a sensor connection issue me thinks. do you have a piggyback installed even in pass thru mode or a dp fix?

PS running lean for sustained periods is BAD for your engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bad o2 sensor or a sensor connection issue me thinks. do you have a piggyback installed even in pass thru mode or a dp fix?

PS running lean for sustained periods is BAD for your engine.
    Nope. No piggyback, no DP fix. Nothing. Just Cobb.

I know. Tune is off. No more pulls for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only thing I can think of is o2 sensors or o2 sensor connection to the block. If your injectors or plugs were bad, you'd be misfiring or idling rough. It wouldn't be vacuum/boost leak because that would result in a rough idle and poor boost response but that doesn't seem to be your case. I'm just trying to systematically eliminate variables here, but it's difficult to diagnose this kind of thing without the car physically present. Your issue sounds like something that will be a real PITA to resolve, but best of luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let me guess: BP fuel?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Let me guess: BP fuel?

Nope. Shell only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Forgot to add that the also replaced the valve cover gasket. I guess I need to check all that myself. There are quite a few connections that could have been messed up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tried to push the dealer to be more proactive about this issue and the SA sent the following response:

"In my almost 5yrs as a tech never was there a time where a bad O2 sensor resulted in some type of engine failure or extensive damage to the engine itself. As I told you before the engine itself can run even with the O2 unplugged, which at that point would throw off a code simply because it isn't getting a proper read out, being that the O2 "sensors" are just emission reading devices to gauge the AFR but that's it... I just went over the data print outs with one of the foremans on your vehicle and it clearly states that they are "working as designed."

Understanding that spark plugs typically only cause misfires, but you also stated that at times the engine falls flat as if it's misfiring or possibly feeling like it's running off of only a few cylinders. If the plugs are not detonating properly it can create that type of issue, as I told you to the last time you were here, we would love to service it but there's nothing we can base out repairs off of? We can even call a TS down here from BMWUSA, but chances are without codes what can we do? The TS will probably recommend a carbon clean or fuel injection cleaning..."

Injector cleaning? You guys just replaced the injectors....

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by stangorang; 05-17-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bull$#@!, disconnect your o2 sensors and see if the car drives properly. that lean running condition is downright dangerous. I'd log on stage 0 (stock sim) and see if your AFR looks normal (14s tapering down to 12)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bull$#@!, disconnect your o2 sensors and see if the car drives properly. that lean running condition is downright dangerous. I'd log on stage 0 (stock sim) and see if your AFR looks normal (14s tapering down to 12)
    I watched the live feed AFR all the way to work. Cruising looked okay, average around 14.5-15 with an occasional 16 flashing on the screen. It will come down to 12-13 with a bit more throttle. Didn't do any heavy throttle pulls though.

Put in an order for O2 sensors. Going to check under the engine cover tonight to see if they left something loosely plugged in when they did the valve cover gasket replacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay now I am getting a litte upset here.

I pulled the engine cover off to check their work. Two bolts holding the cover on are missing. Okay no big deal.

Then I notice my injectors don't look so new. My paper work clearly states they replaced all 6 injectors with part# 13538616079, except all of my injectors are the old part # ending in 261. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So not cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@!ing dealerships Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's likely these guys are crooks. Are they the only dealer near you and will you need to go back to them in the future? If so, the Id advise calling your SA so that he can save face and allow him to make up some BS story about how his technicians got the wrong instructions or something. Then they will install the new injectors for you. I understand 6 new injectors cost $1200 so this con game is clearly quite profitable to them.

if you can go elsewhere, I'd raise a huge stink at McKenna and threaten to call BMWNA. This will get you the new injectors and possibly some other free stuff.

good luck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast