Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Next Potential Project: AT to MT Trans swap

I am in the very early stages of looking into this as a possibility. I have sourced a few 6MT's from salvage for around 2k +/- a few hundred depending on mileage ect. I saw on e90 that someone had done a swap on a 535 successfully with no codes and no real drama. Any info on pricing, parts required or knowledge of tranny conversions will be welcome. Setup is in the sig below. My goal is to run vtt-s2 on high boost or with a small shot of nitrous, this I believe will spell disaster for the AT very quickly.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully this works out & comes out clean, could become a blueprint for future AT --> MTs
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Njz Click here to enlarge
    I am in the very early stages of looking into this as a possibility. I have sourced a few 6MT's from salvage for around 2k +/- a few hundred depending on mileage ect. I saw on e90 that someone had done a swap on a 535 successfully with no codes and no real drama. Any info on pricing, parts required or knowledge of tranny conversions will be welcome. Setup is in the sig below. My goal is to run vtt-s2 on high boost or with a small shot of nitrous, this I believe will spell disaster for the AT very quickly.
    look around a bit more you should be able to get <30k mi for <$1000

check ebay UK, i got one (to australia) shipped for $1200. so $1000 with the cheaper shipping to the states.

you'll need a fair bit, i can't list it all off the top of my head.. by the clutch pedal/cable, shifter, shift linkage shifter trim, clutch itself. i'd budget a good hmm $4-$5k at least for it? counting a good clutch and flywheel.

there WILL be codes but they can obviously be coded out (go into the DME and basically just set it from AT to MT in whatever setting... very simple) otherwise it'd be expecting signals from the 6AT control box and obviously not getting them (so seeing it as broken)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was going the same route when my trans belw until I saw the priceing... almost exactly the range @Flinchy stated it to be with good clutch and flywheel.
    Coding wise I would think its just turning off AT values from on to off(as someone explained to me), I was looking into doing this when I blew my AT but it was ALOT cheaper to get a used AT, upgrade VB and torque converter. Folks at the shop turned on my car without a VB to move it (power steering) lol cant remebr the codes I got but it lit up the dash haha. when I go VTT stage 3 im probably going to keep my AT till she blows again but will have a MT handy. It would be great to take pictures along the way! and update with as much info as possible! and the 535i that did it was an XI i believe so If an XI can do it RWD shuld be cake!
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You will also need a differential from a MT car as the final drive is different.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    You will also need a differential from a MT car as the final drive is different.
    and a LSD lol

$$ cha ching
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well you don't need to do that if you don't want to. A couple of guys changed their MT diffs to AT diffs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you won't NEED it... in fact most people would consider 3.46 an upgrade for the 6MT. shorter ratios = better acceleration in a lot of situations. stock turbo/rb/stage 2 may benefit from the broadened (relatively short in reality) power band though.

do way better skids? haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NOT really... Especially if you want optimal acceleration, the AT Final Drive is better (the MT Final Drive will shine during 60-130 "Mexico" pulls). That's why Shiv swapped it into his personal car. But an LSD is a must, especially for anything beyond Stock Snails

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Let us know how it goes. I would just sell it and buy a MT, it it'll likely be cheaper and you can recover your costs, unlike with a MT swap.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Let us know how it goes. I would just sell it and buy a MT, it it'll likely be cheaper and you can recover your costs, unlike with a MT swap.
    Thats what I'm gunna do. I thought about swapping my e90 to an MT but came to the conclusion an 09-10 135 Msport would be more fun. OP good luck though, I hope you pull it off. I can understand people that have a bunch of cosmetic mods or really like their cars color/options wanting to try a MT swap. Best of luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    welll.. you can also sell a decent condition AT box for about $1k? haha that's a SLIGHT recovery >_>

+1 to sell and get an MT, just take all your shiny parts with you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Selling the car and getting an MT would be ideal but my car was in a pretty significant accident (total damage 23k) and I would not get as much for it as I would want so I am somewhat married to this car for better or worse now. I do not plan on getting rid of this at any point, this will likely be a project car of mine long term as the platform continues to advance and engine blocks/breakable parts get cheaper I feel this is a good platform to stick with for my purposes. If I can get the transmission issues sorted (not that I have any atm...but its inevitable)than I can start to refocus on other areas such as a forged internals and vtt s3 down the road.

Link to my accident thread.....http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...urrection-time
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish you luck if you are serious.

Auto to manual has been and is way easier than manual to auto.

It can be done, update us with what you intend to do.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Njz Click here to enlarge
    Selling the car and getting an MT would be ideal but my car was in a pretty significant accident (total damage 23k) and I would not get as much for it as I would want so I am somewhat married to this car for better or worse now. I do not plan on getting rid of this at any point, this will likely be a project car of mine long term as the platform continues to advance and engine blocks/breakable parts get cheaper I feel this is a good platform to stick with for my purposes. If I can get the transmission issues sorted (not that I have any atm...but its inevitable)than I can start to refocus on other areas such as a forged internals and vtt s3 down the road.

Link to my accident thread.....http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...urrection-time
    woahhh that price would be damn close to a full new (second hand) never-crashed 135i lol

reasurring though, that they can suffer THAT much damage and the engine's still fine? amazing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah well i didnt pay for the damage the insurance company covered all but 1k of it and the shop gave me a 500$ break on the deductable. I was out shopping for cars a few days after the accident because I had no idea they would even consider fixing it at first glance. Oh well, its fixed now and is running very strong so we shall see. If I hadnt got the AT for such an amazing deal I would have had the MT in the first place. CPO 12k miles M-Sport package 28k back in 2010.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can only imagine trying to launch 1st gear on a 6MT with a 3.46 rear. Won't be fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    RE gears since the 135i is going to be slow for a few months I'm thinking of moving the Quife / 3.46 diff over to the MT E92. Then once the VT3s are in I'll evaluate the gear situation for the 1. Maybe start with 3.08s though. The problem with 3.46s is it will be limited to ~130mph in the 1/4. But with 3.08s, it will be over geared at ~150mph. Still, better over geared than under geared.

RE: The MT swap, I'd just sell the car and buy another one personally. It's easier. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool idea but this is not going to be easy. Isn't it going to be a $#@! with the ECM when it see's that something is totally different. The sensors and lines for the master slave etc. As others have stated, I would just buy a MT car. If this was an E30, that's not a problem.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm subscribed. I'll be doing this potentially as well later Click here to enlarge
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Someone here on the island did it. Said it wasnt all that hard and it was coded to MT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As stated above under normal circumstances I would just trade up for a MT but the accident will ruin my value for trade. A 535xi on the island did this with little headache per e90.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Cool idea but this is not going to be easy. Isn't it going to be a $#@! with the ECM when it see's that something is totally different. The sensors and lines for the master slave etc. As others have stated, I would just buy a MT car. If this was an E30, that's not a problem.
    Once everything is installed cleanly (the difficult part), it's easily just recoding the DME to recognize the car as an MT instead of an AT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dont think its all that complicated to do. Then again i work on these so yanking a trans out is not a big deal to me lmao

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    RE gears since the 135i is going to be slow for a few months I'm thinking of moving the Quife / 3.46 diff over to the MT E92. Then once the VT3s are in I'll evaluate the gear situation for the 1. Maybe start with 3.08s though. The problem with 3.46s is it will be limited to ~130mph in the 1/4. But with 3.08s, it will be over geared at ~150mph. Still, better over geared than under geared.

RE: The MT swap, I'd just sell the car and buy another one personally. It's easier. Click here to enlarge
    3.15 M diff/subframe be a good idea?