Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Tran Malfunction Code after going WOT in fifth

Something strange happened while I was on the freeway today. I was cruising along in manual mode 6th gear at about 70 mph and needed to overtake a car in front of me. I proceeded to upshift and rolled into the gas. As I hit full boost (17 psi) the car immediately shuttered as if it hit boost cut, the transmission malfunction code popped right up on my display. I was unable to get any gear to respond and the car just free rev'ed (very dangerous as I was in coast mode). I was able to get to the shoulder safely and as I was coming to a stop. I heard/felt something like a pop and the trans no longer act as in neutral.

I then turned and restarted my car. The message went away and every seem to be back to normal. I was able to narrow it down to this happening in 5th gear only. 3rd/4th was fine. So my questions is, has anyone have this happen? What could have tripped the message since (no cel or any code)?

My current mods:
    Jb4 g5 iso on e30
    Bms dci
    Alpina flash.

Any ideas?Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NEED fault codes.... While the trans service symbol might not be on anymore, there are going to be fault codes still stored. Do you have an SES or CEL on the dash still?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would need the codes I would get tourqe converter codes before I blew mine at lower speeds at WOT it would just pop out of gear and throw itself into neutral and id have to pull over put in park and restart and it would go back to normal. then id do it again.. LOL same thing. then one day my transmission just randomly gave me the finger haha

EDIT: 5th gear is a known issue in the transmission, since you already have the alpine flash maybe sending your Valvebody to LEvel 10 or 517 trans for an upgrade will defiantly cure the issue hopefully I after my exams I will post a full write up to what I did to my trans.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No CEL or SES. I did check for codes via the jb4 and did not have any code... probably cause I have autoclear on? Gonna turn it off and try to duplicate the issue and go from there. Wedge also mention about changing the trans fluid too so I will probably be doing that sometime soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone know if there is additional work need to change a XI trans oil vs. a standard i? Or is the process the same?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bump

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You will be able to read this code only with INPA, and it saves only in the history at transmission.

Usually it is a code 4F86 [20358] "Ratio-Monitoring Symptom Circuit-Monitoring".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So on the way home, I was able to get it to code out in fifth again on e30. Same as the first time. Then I got back on straight 92 oct. I did a couple more tests:

-Map 5 after adaptation, in fifth, it would spool to target boost ~14psi then it would slip but it won't trip the trans mal code.

-Map 4, same gear and it holds solid without slippage. :/

So in conclusion, even if I was the de-modd the car for cpo coverage, I wouldn't be able to get it to code therefore I don't have anything to show for at the dealership other than a photo of the error. I would imagine that when i flash the trans back the stock that any history of the mal error in INPA would be erased? Otherwise, if the history is not erased, I would have something to go off of as the mal code in the display goes away once you turn off the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^You need someone to specifically read the Trans Module. There is a fault code stored somewhere in there.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP:
    Are you running Terry's latest BMS flash?
    I had issues in 2nd gear prior to his revised flash!!
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    OP:
    Are you running Terry's latest BMS flash?
    I had issues in 2nd gear prior to his revised flash!!
    Nope, this is my 3rd e30 tank on JB4 G5 ISO, the first two had no issues (granted I don't recollect if I attempted WOT in 5th on prior tanks). The only difference is that this time I had slightly more e85 in (5.5 gals vs 5 gals). However, I don't believe it is an e85 issue as I am getting the 5th gear slip on straight 92 oct...I literally see my boost hijack spike to about 14psi and immediately falls back as the car just shutters and I let off.

I'm gonna try to take some videos to further clarify what its happening, as far as I can tell, it feels like its slipping.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    ^^You need someone to specifically read the Trans Module. There is a fault code stored somewhere in there.
    I'm gonna try to see if my local code who did my Aplina flash can read the code... would re-flashing the trans back to stock erased/clear the code or is that a separate step?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jc335ix Click here to enlarge
    I'm gonna try to see if my local code who did my Aplina flash can read the code... would re-flashing the trans back to stock erased/clear the code or is that a separate step?
    Flashing will set some codes that will need to be cleared.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The BAVTool can also read all codes in the TCM
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've had the shudder, which I would actually describe as a really hard and extended shift, under the same circumstances, highway speed and dropping the hammer to pass, a handful of times...but it's only ever happened after 2+ hours on the road (highway).

I received the above error only once, with the same reaction from the car, about 3 hours into a 4 hour road trip. I shut it off for a good 15 minutes while talking on the phone with the person I was driving to see. The error was gone and driveability was fine when I restarted it, though I was really nice to the car the rest of the way.

I haven't really been in the circumstance to test it since doing the Alpina flash, and haven't thought to check stored faults in INPA, as I didn't have it at the time and didn't think of it once I had access to it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah mine happened on two separate occasions on e30/alpina flash which got the error code. While on straight 92 oct, I am only able to get it to shudder/slip but no code. This happens regardless if I upshift from 6th or am already in 5th and drop the hammer.

I'm having my coder pull the code tomorrow at a meet and see what it says in INPA. Gonna probably flash it back to stock and take it to the dealership if the code can still be read after the re-flash. That way, I could just walk in and say "hey, my fifth gear slips in WOT and it coded out. Here is a pic and have them read the code." Hopefully, that is enough for them to do something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Evo2xi Click here to enlarge
    Yeah mine happened on two separate occasions on e30/alpina flash which got the error code. While on straight 92 oct, I am only able to get it to shudder/slip but no code. This happens regardless if I upshift from 6th or am already in 5th and drop the hammer.

I'm having my coder pull the code tomorrow at a meet and see what it says in INPA. Gonna probably flash it back to stock and take it to the dealership if the code can still be read after the re-flash. That way, I could just walk in and say "hey, my fifth gear slips in WOT and it coded out. Here is a pic and have them read the code." Hopefully, that is enough for them to do something.
    Or they will clear the codes, test drive, nothing will happen, and give you back the car. If it only happens with the tune it is not likely they will be able to recreate the issue and or do something about it.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    Or they will clear the codes, test drive, nothing will happen, and give you back the car. If it only happens with the tune it is not likely they will be able to recreate the issue and or do something about it.
    Valid point but I still gotta try. I rather exhaust this resource while I'm under warranty than to simply assume they are just gonna say no... if they don't do anything, then I would try to figure it myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any update on this? Did it get fixed/ what fixed it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haven't fixed it, but pulled the code: 4f8a - Ratio Monitoring gear shift 4-5

Had the dealership looked at it a while back and they wanted $9k+ for a replacement. I think I'm gonna have a indy shop rebuild or replace sometime this year but since I've gotten pretty good at preventing the code from coming up, it hasn't been a rush to resolve it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the up date I had a similar thing start happen but it is on the 3 to 4 shift code 4f70, literally no information out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I think its a rare occurrence hence there are very little information about these things. Good Luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I ended up fixing my problem by re-flashing both the back end and my alpina flash. She has been running great since.