Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky Maybe if I buy then, when I am done BimmerBoost.com could buy then from me and then rent them to people who need them. A kind of BMW special tool rental program.
    Not a terrible idea.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Not a terrible idea.
    Don't hold your breath, though. I'm pretty sure it's the turbos. Gong to check the play with a dial indicator Monday.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

In my case it seems to be a faulty injector on cyl 4. Does not explain the high oil usage of the engine. 1/5 liter in 1000km (which is high to my opinion, I know N54 eg... but still)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hi guys, all your posts makes sense and screwing with my mind.

I have a 335i e90 thats been giving me problems since i got it, i recently send the car in to do headgasket, they replaced the gasket and went through the complete head, valvues and that kind of stuff, but replaced nothing but the head gasket, since i got the car back this white smoke situation started, i cant realy work out when the smoke starts but its random, then it smokes then it doesnt. I dont know if its in my mind but feels if car is not as powerfull anymore and when cruising underboost it feels missy. Dont know if the place who changed the headgasket maiby installed the vacuum pipes incorectly or maiby something went wrong now with the turbos or something else.

Please help as im on the edge of setting the car on fire

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stoutgat01 Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys, all your posts makes sense and screwing with my mind.

I have a 335i e90 thats been giving me problems since i got it, i recently send the car in to do headgasket, they replaced the gasket and went through the complete head, valvues and that kind of stuff, but replaced nothing but the head gasket, since i got the car back this white smoke situation started, i cant realy work out when the smoke starts but its random, then it smokes then it doesnt. I dont know if its in my mind but feels if car is not as powerfull anymore and when cruising underboost it feels missy. Dont know if the place who changed the headgasket maiby installed the vacuum pipes incorectly or maiby something went wrong now with the turbos or something else.

Please help as im on the edge of setting the car on fire
    How many miles on car? Any trouble codes? stock oil cooler? what oil change intervals? When does smoke appear?
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Great thread mikolo, although the possibility that it might possibly be my valve stem seals and not the turbos is kind of worrying.

I have a 2008 E82 135i with 47,000kms on it so I really hope it's not the valve stem seals. I'm currently FBO with meth on stock turbos.

Just wondering, does anyone know whether adding mid cats will be enough to reduce the smoke? I'm just wondering as I can DIY this myself quite easily in my garage as opposed to doing the DPs. I know that it's just a bandaid solution but I definitely don't have the money to go replacing the valve stems or turbos at this time and I'd like to stop the smoke until I figure out exactly what's what and have the money to fix it.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    Great thread mikolo, although the possibility that it might possibly be my valve stem seals and not the turbos is kind of worrying.

I have a 2008 E82 135i with 47,000kms on it so I really hope it's not the valve stem seals. I'm currently FBO with meth on stock turbos.

Just wondering, does anyone know whether adding mid cats will be enough to reduce the smoke? I'm just wondering as I can DIY this myself quite easily in my garage as opposed to doing the DPs. I know that it's just a bandaid solution but I definitely don't have the money to go replacing the valve stems or turbos at this time and I'd like to stop the smoke until I figure out exactly what's what and have the money to fix it.
    I assume any type of cat will mask a bit of smoke. Take off the dp's and see if theres any oil on or near turbo. How hard do you run your car? buy it used? what are your oil change intervals?

I got my car used with 54k with no oil cooler and I believe the seals went because the last owner went by dealer oci's and having no oil cooler that oil gets hot and degrades quick. I ran the car hard when I got it and still do to this day so i think those combinations are what caused mine to fail..
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    I assume any type of cat will mask a bit of smoke. Take off the dp's and see if theres any oil on or near turbo. How hard do you run your car? buy it used? what are your oil change intervals?

I got my car used with 54k with no oil cooler and I believe the seals went because the last owner went by dealer oci's and having no oil cooler that oil gets hot and degrades quick. I ran the car hard when I got it and still do to this day so i think those combinations are what caused mine to fail..
    Thanks for the reply Mikolo. Although I'd like to think myself relatively handy having done a lot of DIY maintenance and mod installs I've never done a DP job on any car before so I'm not sure I'll be able to do that myself on jack stands in my garage on an RHD car. Maybe I should buy a camera probe with a light and check it when I have the midpipes off Click here to enlarge

The car is now run quite hard I'd say. I take it to the strip or on track days maybe once every month or two as well as being a daily driver. I bought it used, already FBO with meth, from another member about 8 months ago. It had 30,000kms and he'd only put about 5,000kms over 3 years on it himself and had taken it to the strip only once during that time. Prior to that it was stock. It now has about 47,000kms and I've been changing the oil and filter every 10,000kms with Castrol 0W-40. Prior to me it was using BMW 5W-30.

I noticed some smoking soon after I purchased it however it's gotten progressively worse, especially after the most recent track day. I'm hoping it really is just the turbos as at least I can justify paying the $$$ to upgrade to RBs. Valve stem seals on the other hand just feel like a sunk cost Click here to enlarge
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply Mikolo. Although I'd like to think myself relatively handy having done a lot of DIY maintenance and mod installs I've never done a DP job on any car before so I'm not sure I'll be able to do that myself on jack stands in my garage on an RHD car. Maybe I should buy a camera probe with a light and check it when I have the midpipes off Click here to enlarge

The car is now run quite hard I'd say. I take it to the strip or on track days maybe once every month or two as well as being a daily driver. I bought it used, already FBO with meth, from another member about 8 months ago. It had 30,000kms and he'd only put about 5,000kms over 3 years on it himself and had taken it to the strip only once during that time. Prior to that it was stock. It now has about 47,000kms and I've been changing the oil and filter every 10,000kms with Castrol 0W-40. Prior to me it was using BMW 5W-30.

I noticed some smoking soon after I purchased it however it's gotten progressively worse, especially after the most recent track day. I'm hoping it really is just the turbos as at least I can justify paying the $$$ to upgrade to RBs. Valve stem seals on the other hand just feel like a sunk cost Click here to enlarge
    Sounds more likely to be your turbos, are you eating any oil?
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sounds more likely to be your turbos, are you eating any oil?
    Too much haha. About 0.5-0.6L every 1000kms.

It appears that after going to a track day it smokes like crazy for a few weeks afterwards but after that it starts to get better. I just noticed today that it doesn't smoke so much on deceleration but every now and then it still billows out like crazy.

I'm thinking that possibly with the hard driving it might clear out all the carbon around the turbo seals and it takes a bit of time to clog it back up again. Of course I'm purely just speculating here and I truly have no idea Click here to enlarge

What are the differing smoking symptoms from valve stem seal leaks vs turbo seal leaks?
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Too much haha. About 0.5-0.6L every 1000kms.

It appears that after going to a track day it smokes like crazy for a few weeks afterwards but after that it starts to get better. I just noticed today that it doesn't smoke so much on deceleration but every now and then it still billows out like crazy.

I'm thinking that possibly with the hard driving it might clear out all the carbon around the turbo seals and it takes a bit of time to clog it back up again. Of course I'm purely just speculating here and I truly have no idea Click here to enlarge

What are the differing smoking symptoms from valve stem seal leaks vs turbo seal leaks?
    Im not sure on what the differences are like, but when I was fully catless(not anymore) it smoked everywhere and was unbearable. People were laughing at me on the road... I know my turbos might have a slight leak, but now I never notice any smoke.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Im not sure on what the differences are like, but when I was fully catless(not anymore) it smoked everywhere and was unbearable. People were laughing at me on the road... I know my turbos might have a slight leak, but now I never notice any smoke.
    My car smoked a lot as well, and replacing the turbos fixed that. The symptoms sounded much like what mikolo describes, but there was visible oil on the outside of the turbo CHRA and inside the turbine housing which is viewable with the downpipes off. @froop, check for oil on or inside the turbos. It's relatively easy to do.
    Eppur si muove.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234