Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Downpipe Rattle / Whiteish smoke

Was wondering if rattling from rpm 1500-2000 is the dp's touching the subframe?(not at idle or above stated rpms) Heatshield? I had em installed at a local performance shop and I'm pretty there incompetent and I should have installed them with a buddy or two.. anyways its going back tommorow morning to give them one more shot at fixing it. Also They said they needed to use an O2 extension??? Never heard of one needed..

Also considering I have no secondary cats and catless dp, will smoke be very frequent? I'm starting to get annoyed already lol.. Might have to weld in a set of resonators where the secondary cats were( will that help with smoke?)

Thanks..
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

also its much more noticeable when car is moving.. cant here it much just reving in driveway.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The rear pipe is really tight from my recollection. I actually have to go back and fix mine cause it rattles as well.

Resonators will do nothing for smoke. So you are saying you currently are smoking a lot? Did you notice this immediately after installing the DPs.

What oil do you use?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    The rear pipe is really tight from my recollection. I actually have to go back and fix mine cause it rattles as well.

Resonators will do nothing for smoke. So you are saying you currently are smoking a lot? Did you notice this immediately after installing the DPs.

What oil do you use?
    Mobile1 0w-40.. yes noticed smoke right after..smoking a $#@! ton. maby ill reinstall secondary cats i only usually go through a quart every 3k miles. prob the turbo seals starting to go.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

When I did my down pipes there was absolutely no oil inside the turbine housings. All of a sudden, after the DPs were installed my car started to smoke. I still have my secondary cats in place. I refuse to believe that both turbos have bad seals on the exhaust side all of a sudden after the install. Its more likely a pcv problem that was being covered up by the primary cats.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

When I did my down pipes there was absolutely no oil inside the turbine housings. All of a sudden, after the DPs were installed my car started to smoke. I still have my secondary cats in place. I refuse to believe that both turbos have bad seals on the exhaust side all of a sudden after the install. Its more likely a pcv problem that was being covered up by the primary cats.
    I have a catch can.. but i guess that dosen't help.. guess i gotta get the rb pcv check valve. Also the rattling noise sounds horrid from 1500-2000 rpms literally marbles in tin can bad but it completely disappears after 2k rpms or at idle its so weird. Whatever I hope the shop can fix it tomorrow morning or im going to be pissed.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The rattling will happen at resonant frequencies so it is expected for it to happen a some rpms and not others.

The catch can only collects oil directed from the crankcase to the rear turbo intake tube. This only happens when positive pressure is in the intake manifold.

When there is vacuum in the intake manifold, like at idle or off throttle coasting, the blow by goes into the intake ports on the head, completely bypassing the catch can.

The RB pcv won't help here. It only creates a better seal when positive pressure is in the intake manifold, like in the first case above.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The rattling will happen at resonant frequencies so it is expected for it to happen a some rpms and not others.

The catch can only collects oil directed from the crankcase to the rear turbo intake tube. This only happens when positive pressure is in the intake manifold.

When there is vacuum in the intake manifold, like at idle or off throttle coasting, the blow by goes into the intake ports on the head, completely bypassing the catch can.

The RB pcv won't help here. It only creates a better seal when positive pressure is in the intake manifold, like in the first case above.
    Thanks for the informative posts! Wish I could rep you.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the informative posts! Wish I could rep you.
    No worries.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Wish I could rep you.
    Repped for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

same

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Wow, you guys are great! Who wants a hug? I think Lost Marine really needs one right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

@mikolo-n54, was the shop able to get the downpipes properly aligned? They most likely need to twist the rear turbo down-pipe towards the driver side of the car.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    @mikolo-n54, was the shop able to get the downpipes properly aligned? They most likely need to twist the rear turbo down-pipe towards the driver side of the car.
    Shop was incompetent... ended up reinstalling stock cats myself. They spent 5+ hours trying to get the 02 sensors not to touch which was causing the rattle and ended up putting a dent in one. I also noticed my car was smoking like crazy (at idle and decel) and I think it could be a turbo seal, couldn't put up with it.. So im going to wait until summer( going with vargas stage 1 hopefully and I will reinstall MYSELF).
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Shop was incompetent... ended up reinstalling stock cats myself. They spent 5+ hours trying to get the 02 sensors not to touch which was causing the rattle and ended up putting a dent in one. I also noticed my car was smoking like crazy (at idle and decel) and I think it could be a turbo seal, couldn't put up with it.. So im going to wait until summer( going with vargas stage 1 hopefully and I will reinstall MYSELF).
    Thats very odd, i assume it was the wide band o2 sensors near the turbo v-band?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Thats very odd, i assume it was the wide band o2 sensors near the turbo v-band?
    Click here to enlarge

This is how it looked. I probably could have corrected it myself, but the smoking was to much for me. I have no secondaries as it is so it really really was smoking
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I really doubt the o2 sensors are touching, they are VERY close (the AR pipes i just put in are very close as well), but they shouldn't touch. I am willing to place $$ on it that the rear turbo pipe is hitting on the heat shield of the motor mount, which is fixed by rotating the pipe towards the driver side. Moot point i guess since you pulled the pipes back out, but whenever you put them back in it should help, sorry it was so much trouble!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

When you did pull the catalyst free downpipes off to put the stock ones back on, did you notice oil in the turbine housings?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

When you did pull the catalyst free downpipes off to put the stock ones back on, did you notice oil in the turbine housings?
    Click here to enlarge forgot to really look. I burn a quart about every 3k with moderate driving, some spirited.. I really have a feeling its the seals. Smoke would be bluish though right? Its always a light white color and smells nothing like coolant. Seems others have same issue but mine was smoking pretty intensively. Injectors have all been replaced 20k ago, so thats out of question.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

My DPs rattle at a frequency that is really really low (like 500rpm so its only if i have the AC off and the car is warm and idling low). As far as the smoke goes, i have that every now and then. Usually its right after i switch maps (when the car is running), like i go from Map 1 to Map 2 or something
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

There are multiple places that the physical DP rattle can manifest at. Since the pipes themselves can rattle against shields, subframe and transmission, the best way is to remove the DPs after some time, and check the witness marks on the pipe and hammer them down.

Also, depending on the install, the DP to midpipe flanges themselves can be quite close, is a common location of rattle. I ground down where the flanges are close until about 1/8" clearance was achieved.

Also, make sure the rear exhaust brace is tightened correctly, or that can cause an odd rattle at takeoff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge forgot to really look. I burn a quart about every 3k with moderate driving, some spirited.. I really have a feeling its the seals. Smoke would be bluish though right? Its always a light white color and smells nothing like coolant. Seems others have same issue but mine was smoking pretty intensively. Injectors have all been replaced 20k ago, so thats out of question.
    If you still have the cat free downpipes, look inside and check for oil residue.

My rear downpipe was contacting the engine mount heat shield on the inside of the subframe near where it bolts to the cat back exhaust. I adjusted them and have about an 1/8 inch of clearance now, and the rattle is gone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

If you still have the cat free downpipes, look inside and check for oil residue.

My rear downpipe was contacting the engine mount heat shield on the inside of the subframe near where it bolts to the cat back exhaust. I adjusted them and have about an 1/8 inch of clearance now, and the rattle is gone.
    Didn't see any oil in the dps. I'm think something else might be wrong then. I now get absolutely no smoke. With the dp when I came to stop or decel it looked like something was on fire lol.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I suspect with their close proximity to the turbo, the primary catalysts get hot enough to remove any trace of visible oil smoke from the exhaust. You don't have any secondary cats installed, but when I did my downpipes, I left the stock exhaust with secondary cats in place and I still experienced a smokefest. @lulz_m3 also had a smoking problem with catalyst free downpipes, and his solution was to use aftermarket DP with cats.

So at the very least, the removal of the primary catalysts seem to be connected to our smoking problem, and it happens with or without secondary catalysts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I suspect with their close proximity to the turbo, the primary catalysts get hot enough to remove any trace of visible oil smoke from the exhaust. You don't have any secondary cats installed, but when I did my downpipes, I left the stock exhaust with secondary cats in place and I still experienced a smokefest. @lulz_m3 also had a smoking problem with catalyst free downpipes, and his solution was to use aftermarket DP with cats.

So at the very least, the removal of the primary catalysts seem to be connected to our smoking problem, and it happens with or without secondary catalysts.
    My smoking problem also remained after having the factory turbos replaced under warranty because of the wastegate rattle issue. Your turbo's are probably fine.

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast