Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    Denver altitude centrifugal forced induction owner checking in with my nickel . . . .

For both of my ESS Vortech based kits ('03 330xi, '06 M3) I went down two pulley sizes. Purchased the pulleys direct from Vortech, and took them to BimmerHaus. The guys at BimmerHaus had the pulley stems machined down to match the length needed for the ESS kit fitment. In both cases, I went from an ESS-delivered pulley size of 3.33" to 3.125" (two sizes down). About a 5mm difference in diameter. Both kits were advertised as a 7 p.s.i. kit. To get 7 p.s.i., I had to go down the two pulley sizes. At this altitude, these kits are not worth having unless you can run an airflow similar to the sea-level flow for which the kits are developed and advertised.

In both cases, I know I am still not exceeding the maximum impeller speed advised by Vortech. For example, the V-3 Si has a max impeller speed of 52,000 rpm. On my '06 M3, at 8,000 rpm (redline for my setup) the impeller speed is just under 49,000 rpm; a good 3k rpm below max. Dropping 5mm in s/c pulley size at this altitude goes quite a ways towards having the kit perform more like it would at sea level. Nothing fully compensates for the high density altitude factor, but it sure helps.

In both cases, with the smaller pulley, I ran the same ESS software (for 91 octane fuel) that came with the kit. No AFR issues, or any other issues. I have a thread in the S54 section showing comparative dyno runs with the ESS delivered software and Evolve calibration file. I've stayed with the Sal's tune because I like it better for all aspects of driveability and power.

By the way, if you go with a smaller s/c pulley or Evolve calibration (I would not do one or the other, I'd do both) and the ESS boys find out, they will no longer warranty their hardware and will no longer 'support' you with their software. Their hardware is pretty good, so I don't need a warranty on that anymore. Their software is not as good as Evolve's, so I don't need that anymore either.

I have 16,000 miles on the kit, went with the smaller pulley from the start. About 13,000 of those miles are with the Evolve tune. I'm very pleased with how the car drives. Uncorrected rwhp is, of course, still well less than SAE, but at least the SAE results are more in line with the kit's advertised numbers. (Actually, it's higher, but the SS V1 stepped headers/HJS catted section 1 has a lot to do with that; plus the Evolve calibration).

I hear you on the overall tuning situation. The good news is that we at least now have some excellent tuners for the S54, S62, S65, engines, and the tuning can be done remotely and updated within a couple of minutes during dyno sessions.

I'd be happy to meet or at least further discuss via PM, post, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Very nice brother. Thanks a ton!
    -08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT 613hp-
    -ESS/AR 700 - KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - Challenge-
    -2012 Brushed Red Aluminum GTR-
    - Jacks 3.8 w/ Jacks heads - Jacks Drag 800 w/ billet gears - AAM GT-900R - Swift - ADV.1 - Ecutek via Visconti -
    - 1060hp 852tq 32psi - 9.34 @150mph 7688ft DA - 185.5mph 1/2 mile 9240ft DA -
    http://www.jackstransmissions.com/
    http://store.vtune.us/
    http://www.revvolution.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    Denver altitude centrifugal forced induction owner checking in with my nickel . . . .

For both of my ESS Vortech based kits ('03 330xi, '06 M3) I went down two pulley sizes. Purchased the pulleys direct from Vortech, and took them to BimmerHaus. The guys at BimmerHaus had the pulley stems machined down to match the length needed for the ESS kit fitment. In both cases, I went from an ESS-delivered pulley size of 3.33" to 3.125" (two sizes down). About a 5mm difference in diameter. Both kits were advertised as a 7 p.s.i. kit. To get 7 p.s.i., I had to go down the two pulley sizes. At this altitude, these kits are not worth having unless you can run an airflow similar to the sea-level flow for which the kits are developed and advertised.

In both cases, I know I am still not exceeding the maximum impeller speed advised by Vortech. For example, the V-3 Si has a max impeller speed of 52,000 rpm. On my '06 M3, at 8,000 rpm (redline for my setup) the impeller speed is just under 49,000 rpm; a good 3k rpm below max. Dropping 5mm in s/c pulley size at this altitude goes quite a ways towards having the kit perform more like it would at sea level. Nothing fully compensates for the high density altitude factor, but it sure helps.

In both cases, with the smaller pulley, I ran the same ESS software (for 91 octane fuel) that came with the kit. No AFR issues, or any other issues. I have a thread in the S54 section showing comparative dyno runs with the ESS delivered software and Evolve calibration file. I've stayed with the Sal's tune because I like it better for all aspects of driveability and power.

By the way, if you go with a smaller s/c pulley or Evolve calibration (I would not do one or the other, I'd do both) and the ESS boys find out, they will no longer warranty their hardware and will no longer 'support' you with their software. Their hardware is pretty good, so I don't need a warranty on that anymore. Their software is not as good as Evolve's, so I don't need that anymore either.

I have 16,000 miles on the kit, went with the smaller pulley from the start. About 13,000 of those miles are with the Evolve tune. I'm very pleased with how the car drives. Uncorrected rwhp is, of course, still well less than SAE, but at least the SAE results are more in line with the kit's advertised numbers. (Actually, it's higher, but the SS V1 stepped headers/HJS catted section 1 has a lot to do with that; plus the Evolve calibration).

I hear you on the overall tuning situation. The good news is that we at least now have some excellent tuners for the S54, S62, S65, engines, and the tuning can be done remotely and updated within a couple of minutes during dyno sessions.

I'd be happy to meet or at least further discuss via PM, post, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Nice post! Glad you are enjoying it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12