Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Looking to buy a 335i soon

Is there any way to find out if the car has been tuned or modded in the past?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would recommend getting a PPI from a knoweledgable shop. Maybe researching the seller online as well.

What exactly are you looking to buy?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bring it to a mechanic.
    Worth the $100 dollars to do an inspection to see if any damage / parts need to be corrected before you enter into a contract.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BT to check for shadow codes? How forward has the previous owner been with info on the car?
    2010 LeMans Blue M Sport 335i: JB3 2.0, BMS DCI, BMS TT/BG, 19" VM V714, JB Kidneys, Painted Ref, Debadged, UR CL DP's, TEIN S-Tech Springs

Old Ride: 2007 Montego 335i 6MT 12.34@111

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    get the vin and ask your local dealer, if not already at it, to run it for its maint. history. see if there are any notes, maybe even flagged. I know my history now has "oil leaking from customer installed oil catch can" even something as simple as that can give you a good sign it has been modified in some way, most likely tuned

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wizzle335 Click here to enlarge
    BT to check for shadow codes? How forward has the previous owner been with info on the car?
    I've only been to bmw dealerships, and when I asked them about the history of the previous owner like age, they said they can not release any of that information.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    They arent suppposed to release that info. What I usually do when looking at used cars is find the leather case w/ the owner's manual and other books and look for things that have names on it (you can usually tell if it was male or female driven between that and the smell of perfume on the seatbelt).
    As to tuned things, just look for clamps or screws missing or adjusted on big things (airbox, ecu).
    Ian.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ianbiz Click here to enlarge
    As to tuned things, just look for clamps or screws missing or adjusted on big things (airbox, ecu).
    Not a bad tip.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All good advice thus far.

But let me warn you. There are sneaky weasels out there that ARE VERY GOOD at hiding things they've done to my car. Such as myself. You wouldnt know it was tuned. I wipe all fingerprints, wash the ECU cap, torque the screws back to stock spec on all assemblies. Use care when removing the ECU harness clips. Nothing is broken or missing. etc...

I will add, the ECU harness has a locking mechanism that requires a small paperclip or nail to pry open. This is going to be your sign of a tune. If all else fails that is. Take apart the harness and look at the slide in wire loom, the part that requires the unlocking pin/nail method to undo the harness. This is very hard to get out without scraping the plastic. Other than that, if someone REALLY wanted to, they could tune the car and no one would ever know.

Not everyone does that, 90% of people arent that careful. But just incase, look at your ECU harnesses.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    All good advice thus far.

But let me warn you. There are sneaky weasels out there that ARE VERY GOOD at hiding things they've done to my car. Such as myself. You wouldnt know it was tuned. I wipe all fingerprints, wash the ECU cap, torque the screws back to stock spec on all assemblies. Use care when removing the ECU harness clips. Nothing is broken or missing. etc...

I will add, the ECU harness has a locking mechanism that requires a small paperclip or nail to pry open. This is going to be your sign of a tune. If all else fails that is. Take apart the harness and look at the slide in wire loom, the part that requires the unlocking pin/nail method to undo the harness. This is very hard to get out without scraping the plastic. Other than that, if someone REALLY wanted to, they could tune the car and no one would ever know.

Not everyone does that, 90% of people arent that careful. But just incase, look at your ECU harnesses.
    But then again is the n54 that bad of a motor that it will be damaged because of a tune? U are just taking off some of the restrictions bmw put on the motor.

I know its not the same but very close, "im buying a ferrari and how can i tell that the owner didnt rape it"... Yes it is different but still the same from a perspective....

My advice, if the car looks edgy and is cheap... just move on. not worth the risk for the money. You will regret.
    Click here to enlarge