Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    That's good to hear. Any possible theories on what caused it? Possibility just a bad weld?
    ??? not sure if that was welded, i dont think it is, its just a pin that snapped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    ??? not sure if that was welded, i dont think it is, its just a pin that snapped
    I was thinking there was a weld there. Definitely could be wrong about that thou.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking there was a weld there. Definitely could be wrong about that thou.
    i hear ya, but a pin has to spin, so cannot be welded

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The pins are welded...the arm on the wastegate actuator pivots, and is held on by an e-clip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's good to hear. Any possible theories on what caused it? Possibility just a bad weld?
    ruin has a fix I installed last night and a really great looking one coming. Rob thinks one of the welds just didn't penetrate. He took a arm with a pin in it and hit it with a sledge hammer and the part bent before the pin so I believe this was just a freak occurrence. I put the the fix on with turbo in place and my throttle response is crazy and the rattle I had is gone. I believe the pin gradually bent putting the wastegate slightly out of position.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    ruin has a fix I installed last night and a really great looking one coming. Rob thinks one of the welds just didn't penetrate. He took a arm with a pin in it and hit it with a sledge hammer and the part bent before the pin so I believe this was just a freak occurrence. I put the the fix on with turbo in place and my throttle response is crazy and the rattle I had is gone. I believe the pin gradually bent putting the wastegate slightly out of position.
    That's good to hear. I saw the fix rob provided you, I know that's just a temporary fix but it kind of concerns me. When Tony was assembling his turbos he(and Dzenno) found that just having the washers on the wrong side of the actuator arm led to sever overboosting. Adding a couple more actuating points seems sketchy. If you haven't already I strongly suggest grabbing some logs and be sure nothing goofy is going on.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That's good to hear. I saw the fix rob provided you, I know that's just a temporary fix but it kind of concerns me. When Tony was assembling his turbos he(and Dzenno) found that just having the washers on the wrong side of the actuator arm led to sever overboosting. Adding a couple more actuating points seems sketchy. If you haven't already I strongly suggest grabbing some logs and be sure nothing goofy is going on.
    I think the updated fix is completely different...I did a log and it was right on target....had a timing dip at the end but nothing turbo related. I do have my wastegates at 5.2+ instead of 5.9...will adjust later today.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the updated fix is completely different...I did a log and it was right on target....had a timing dip at the end but nothing turbo related. I do have my wastegates at 5.2+ instead of 5.9...will adjust later today.
    Awesome. Now go shred some tires lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome. Now go shred some tires lol
    mocking up some 305's today!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Our wastegate pins where that one broke are not welded they are machine assembled. The only place they are welded is where the arm attached to the flapper joint. Thats a freak accident right there. I wouldn't hold it against RB. Weird stuff just happens sometimes. As far as the stage 1 overboosting. The cause was I use 2 stainless steel washers and a spring washer sandwiched between them under the wastegate arm to keep constant pressure on it which helps avoid some of the wear and movement you see with the stock stuff. I assembled those first sets after a super long day and put them on top of the arm instead of under. What this causes its the arm to not actuate smoothly once things got hot and the gates would stick at times. I got a hold of everyone else before install and they just simply pulled the clips and swapped them around, 2 minute fix. D had already installed them. They seem to be working fine, but he will get a sticking one occasionally and see high boost. Honestly those stage 1's seem bullet proof. He has run them up to 28-29 psi and they are still fine. He is done testing them and will be sending them back to me and I will be sending him something else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Our wastegate pins where that one broke are not welded they are machine assembled. The only place they are welded is where the arm attached to the flapper joint. Thats a freak accident right there. I wouldn't hold it against RB. Weird stuff just happens sometimes. As far as the stage 1 overboosting. The cause was I use 2 stainless steel washers and a spring washer sandwiched between them under the wastegate arm to keep constant pressure on it which helps avoid some of the wear and movement you see with the stock stuff. I assembled those first sets after a super long day and put them on top of the arm instead of under. What this causes its the arm to not actuate smoothly once things got hot and the gates would stick at times. I got a hold of everyone else before install and they just simply pulled the clips and swapped them around, 2 minute fix. D had already installed them. They seem to be working fine, but he will get a sticking one occasionally and see high boost. Honestly those stage 1's seem bullet proof. He has run them up to 28-29 psi and they are still fine. He is done testing them and will be sending them back to me and I will be sending him something else.
    29psi on stage 1? Wow. Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I do not think most people understand, hold a wastegate manually closed and even small turbos are capable of very high boost levels. They just cant do it for very long...Click here to enlarge I will say we have learned with stage 3 that even holding the wategates closed, the DME has some very weird interventions that allow it to control boost in other ways without closing throttle. Its very interesting

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I do not think most people understand, hold a wastegate manually closed and even small turbos are capable of very high boost levels. They just cant do it for very long...Click here to enlarge I will say we have learned with stage 3 that even holding the wategates closed, the DME has some very weird interventions that allow it to control boost in other ways without closing throttle. Its very interesting
    Oh I understand Click here to enlarge Just thought it was funny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    29psi on stage 1? Wow. Lol
    Click here to enlarge Yup...that's what can happen when you get a sticking wastegate Click here to enlarge i'd never suggest anyone run or try running anywhere close to that on any stock frame turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is no upgrade for axles on AT yet. I already have a ported head (don't know what was actually done, was done by prior owner) but if I go this route I will be looking into cams and headwork also.
    there are AT axles, the DSS axles fit AT, MT and AT DS's are interchangeable Click here to enlarge

and wow ported head? i wonder how many other people have one without ever posting much on it >_<

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats not cheap at all. I got my long block with a lot of extras for $1400 shipped. I can find wrecked 335's that include the motor for 7 grand all day, you get the whole car. All I am saying is do a little shipping around.
    what?! you got a full long block for $1400? that's nuts

mine was $4200 and i thought it was cheap hha

well... i guess i got ECU/dash cluster with it too.. and all driven accessories/covers/turbos etc.. and AUS parts tend to cost a bit more...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    there are AT axles, the DSS axles fit AT, MT and AT DS's are interchangeable Click here to enlarge

and wow ported head? i wonder how many other people have one without ever posting much on it >_<
    I wish I new who did it and what....I will find out soon! I thought AT had a different length axle?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish I new who did it and what....I will find out soon! I thought AT had a different length axle?

it came up in a thread recently, but basically " MT and AT halfshafts post 09/07 cars are interchangeable" though it may have come up that pre is even ok?

even non N54 models share the halfshafts

ED:
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...44&hg=33&fg=25

same mounting face thing, different thickness or something in the earlier ones
    Last edited by Flinchy; 05-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it came up in a thread recently, but basically " MT and AT halfshafts post 09/07 cars are interchangeable" though it may have come up that pre is even ok?

even non N54 models share the halfshafts

ED:
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...44&hg=33&fg=25

same mounting face thing, different thickness or something in the earlier ones
    my car is 11/06 build date....sucks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    my car is 11/06 build date....sucks!
    still shows the same part numbers even if i change build date from 11/06 to 01/08.. so it might not even be a thing.

worst case you could sent your stock driveshafts to be rebuilt by DSS and they'd be able to do it.

ED: it could have something to do with your diff type, small vs large or welded/bolted maybe? doubt it considering there's no replacement part numbers at all for year/month model changes. someone else would have to chime in and confirm.. all i know is i'm 99% sure it'll fit on my 06/06 E87 and i'm willing to take the risk lol.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 05-12-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    still shows the same part numbers even if i change build date from 11/06 to 01/08.. so it might not even be a thing.

worst case you could sent your stock driveshafts to be rebuilt by DSS and they'd be able to do it.

ED: it could have something to do with your diff type, small vs large or welded/bolted maybe? doubt it considering there's no replacement part numbers at all for year/month model changes. someone else would have to chime in and confirm.. all i know is i'm 99% sure it'll fit on my 06/06 E87 and i'm willing to take the risk lol.
    I need them badly!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what?! you got a full long block for $1400? that's nuts

mine was $4200 and i thought it was cheap hha

well... i guess i got ECU/dash cluster with it too.. and all driven accessories/covers/turbos etc.. and AUS parts tend to cost a bit more...
    I paid $3200 shipped recently for a 50k long block w/ turbos, included wiring harness, injectors, covers, etc. I've been sold a 335 in AU costs 100k+. 4k for a motor there sounds like a steal. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I paid $3200 shipped recently for a 50k long block w/ turbos, included wiring harness, injectors, covers, etc. I've been sold a 335 in AU costs 100k+. 4k for a motor there sounds like a steal. Click here to enlarge
    So 5,000 fire a motor that only has 4000 plus miles on it....including turbos is not bad then!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I need them badly!
    if you could do without them, i'd uggest sending in your stockers

otherwise, buying a new set and sending them to DSS if you have cash to burn hah

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    yyyeahtrue nearing $100k all optioned up. more like low 90's with a haggle i believe.

ah so not so bad, yeah turbos dp's all wiring ac, hpfp, ECU blah blah 30k mi-oh and shipping.. suddenly i feel happier with my purchase price haha

ED: and 6MT's are twice the price here too, if not 3x the price if you looked hard enough over there.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast