Close

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=34

"The injectors have a maximum of 40 mg/ms spray at 200 bar. This is an incredible amount of fuel, much much more than any solenoid injector. It is this high, because when we designed the application, BMW insisted that the engine must be able - in limp mode - to only use the LPFP pressure, which is 5 bar, and still drive the vehicle at 170 km/h."

40 mg/ms = 318 lbs/hr = 3243 cc/min
    170 km/hr = 106 mph

I used 0.74 kg/l for gasoline and 2.205 lbs/kg. But remember, this is at the upper limit of pressure, 200 bar - that's 2900 psi. I think the flow rate would increase logarithmically with pressure, up to a point, then level off. Maybe someone who actually took a fluid dynamics class could comment.

Regardless, with a HPFP that can maintain its pressure, that is still a lot of fuel.
    ?also If you keep the HPFP pump below that number, you could inject a lot more fuel. The relation between the amount of fuel sprayed and the pressure is not a linear relation but a Bernulli equation."

from that link.. though that... doesn't make much sense

"
    Thus an increase in the speed of the fluid occurs proportionately with an increase in both its dynamic pressure and kinetic energy, and a decrease in its static pressure and potential energy. If the fluid is flowing out of a reservoir, the sum of all forms of energy is the same on all streamlines because in a reservoir the energy per unit volume (the sum of pressure and gravitational potential ρ g h) is the same everywhere.[4]" from wiki

that'd mean that to GET that increase in speed, you have to have the higher pressure to drop in the first place... so it's abit of a misleading statement to say lower pressure = more flow. you'll SEE more flow when the pressure drops as an effect of their being more flow lol.. as long as i'm understanding it correctly (high pressure low speed vs low pressure high speed)

also

please correct me if i'm getting the rest of this wrong:

"If correct, do you agree then that considering the ti in the compression phase, we can get it up to 4 ms for 7000 rpm ? Can we use the full compression phase ? "

other sources say the minimum injection window is .5ms... max is 2? even at that, if you can use 2ms at 7000rpm, which shouldn't be an issue with there being way more time than that... (?) 80mg of fuel, injections wouldn't be a limitation to RPM increases by any standards, if the injection window CAN be so long at such a high RPM.

that's with it being at 7000RPM... we have 3500 injections per minute.. that's evey 58.3/s, or 58.3ms. counting only on the compression stroke, which lasts 14.575ms?.. however long an injector can be held open, it virtually has all the time in the world

tl;dr holy smokes, 3243cc/min.

ED: "even at 35gm/sec ofstatic flow which is about 554hp per injector (x6!)."

35mg/sec sounds like a lot less than 40mg/sec... but at this level who cares? haha

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=168771&postcount=136

A while ago I du up the Continental doc on the HPFP and injectors used in the N54. It shows 35gm/sec of static flow which is about 554hp per injector (x6!).

The point of DI is to inject at very high pressure in very short windows right before ignition so they must flow around 10x as much as port injectors. That said, DI doesn't have to inject only right before ignition. Spraying earlier would just negate some of its benefits (some cyl cooling, wasted fuel, higher emissions, etc). There's also the issue of cylinder wall wetting using long pulses, so ideally an additional injection event would occur earlier, perhaps on the intake or compression stroke.

The injectors will likely never be a limit on this engine because the block will fail before you run out of fuel. HPFP is a different question but hat's off to Tony V for apparently solving that problem.

Below are snapshots of the Continental brochure (3.5mb, too big to upload) detailing the HPFP and Piezo injector from the N54.

Attachment 30101Attachment 30102
    images show 14.5mg +-10% at .4ms... minimum of 2mg..00015ms to open/close.. oh and up to 4 injections per cyle?

these injectors are COOL.

oh and the HPFP is a 240LPH. well if that was common knowledge before the restriction point would have been much easier to see? haha
    Last edited by Flinchy; 05-01-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Bernulli equation
    Is this australian for splitting the tab after many rounds of fosters?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Is this australian for splitting the tab after many rounds of fosters?
    lets... go with that haha

but seriously, blegh fosters >Click here to enlarge

ED: Bernoulli * was a quote not a typo haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Looks like guys from another platform caught wind of this and signed up specifically to warn others. Quite a few guys with one post putting in their .02 cents.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Looks like guys from another platform caught wind of this and signed up specifically to warn others. Quite a few guys with one post putting in their .02 cents.
    It's no fun when your HPFP from this guy fails at the drag strip and then he's an $#@! about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Any of these guys have receipts for buying his products ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I have receipts, and this is a picture of the gouges on the piston from the 3rd failure.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Any of these guys have receipts for buying his products ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ShooterMcSkeet Click here to enlarge
    I have receipts, and this is a picture of the gouges on the piston from the 3rd failure.

Click here to enlarge
    please post them

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Can you provide more information please, the information we have the better. Parts failures happen, it's a fact of life. However, it's what happens after the failure that really shows you what a vendor is worth.The quality of the members that have already denounced HPFP along with the independent research Google has provided is enough to convince me to stay away from these guys... especially considering an alternative is available that has already has established a world record.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Can you provide more information please, the information we have the better. Parts failures happen, it's a fact of life. However, it's what happens after the failure that really shows you what a vendor is worth.The quality of the members that have already denounced HPFP along with the independent research Google has provided is enough to convince me to stay away from these guys... especially considering an alternative is available that has already has established a world record.
    Bought an assembled pump, lost pressure, replaced under warranty with another assembled pump. Second assembled pump lost pressure at the drag strip, begrudgingly replaced with another assembled pump. Third assembled pump started seizing and John was a dick about it and tried to blame it on my car to avoid warranty. All three pumps failed differently. I replaced his crappy internals with Autotech internals, which are still working perfectly. John's people and customer service skills are absolutely terrible and that cannot be disputed. His products are sketchy and there have been accusations of John copying other vender products. You guys already have a fueling solution that works, so don't take an unnecessary risk by buying John's products.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ShooterMcSkeet Click here to enlarge
    Bought an assembled pump, lost pressure, replaced under warranty with another assembled pump. Second assembled pump lost pressure at the drag strip, begrudgingly replaced with another assembled pump. Third assembled pump started seizing and John was a dick about it and tried to blame it on my car to avoid warranty. All three pumps failed differently. I replaced his crappy internals with Autotech internals, which are still working perfectly. John's people and customer service skills are absolutely terrible and that cannot be disputed. His products are sketchy and there have been accusations of John copying other vender products. You guys already have a fueling solution that works, so don't take an unnecessary risk by buying John's products.
    Hey man, you are new here so I will just say, most everyone here is great a few are less then great. I personally had a bad experience with John, no money was exchanged but he fed me a bunch of BS and dodged calls and emails for a month or so and finally had his wife contact me when I wasn't going away, I think he hoped I had donated my HPFP to his cause or something. My advice to tell everyone asking you these questions is point them to google. I just googled john HPFPupgrade and in 2 seconds had plenty of reading. I will say, anyone can $#@! up in the past, but it seems like this is kinda his pattern. Anyways thanks for checking out the forum and good luck...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Hey man, you are new here so I will just say, most everyone here is great a few are less then great. I personally had a bad experience with John, no money was exchanged but he fed me a bunch of BS and dodged calls and emails for a month or so and finally had his wife contact me when I wasn't going away, I think he hoped I had donated my HPFP to his cause or something. My advice to tell everyone asking you these questions is point them to google. I just googled john HPFPupgrade and in 2 seconds had plenty of reading. I will say, anyone can $#@! up in the past, but it seems like this is kinda his pattern. Anyways thanks for checking out the forum and good luck...Click here to enlarge
    Also look up PTP Performance or Personal Transport Performance. (How does this guy pick his business names anyhow?)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    i did mean to add earlier that i did not purchase a fueling device from john, but was very active on one of the forums on which he used to be a vendor.

i did indeed purchase a transmission mount from him that required some "massaging" to get it to fit properly. it was a two piece mount...and his two pieces were the ones that needed the massaging.

on the other hand...shootermcskeet and his scored fuel pump internal pics should speak volumes.
    that was not an isolated incident and it happened to many other mazda owners.
    i give away free stickers...lol
    phillyb hates me!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

this is my point. we have no problem outing him, but do your part and provide proof that cannot be argued, vendor on vendor accusations get old when one starts crying. the user here has more power than a vendor, post the receipts and more pics of said damage and it wont take long.

but random people signing up that DONT have experience do not help the cause

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

lets... go with that haha

but seriously, blegh fosters >Click here to enlarge

ED: Bernoulli * was a quote not a typo haha
    Haha, every australian I've met HATES Fosters (I'm inclined to agree); but over here it's marketed as what Australia as a country calls beer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Haha, every australian I've met HATES Fosters (I'm inclined to agree); but over here it's marketed as what Australia as a country calls beer.
    The fosters overseas tastes different somewhat

less foul as far as i know hahaha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

2 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This is an excellent point. There are times on forums where theres a handful of people who have issues, they spread their word as being gospel, and many disciples jump in and carry on others first hand experience as if it was also their own personal experience.

The bottom line here is that it stands to reason that this guy has more experience in this area that any other. Even Tony recruited him to do the job because of such. It does appear that he dropped the ball on an excellent opportunity to prove out his knowledge. He has been around for a while, and he had posted about it long ago as I recall in some of my threads on N54tech. But back then the demand just wasn't there either so what was the point in jumping into this market. It was definitely the prudent thing to do to hang back and wait for the need to actually present itself, and now the big HP demands of the ST kits and the upcoming VTT3 kits (along with those running strong Ethanol blends on upgraded hybrids) have got him to the point of some demand.

It does sound like Tony had picked his brain and got what he needed to get some ideas. Tony has admitted this. Whether or not he gave all the data necessary is irrelevant, as he may have given just enough to gain some traction and thus get the job done. You do not always want to disclose every trade secret, that is just the way it is. Tony was apparently clever enough to pick his brain and use his own guesswork to get much more capacity out of the pump, which is not a bad thing at all as SOMEONE needed to get this done stat.

As for problems with other platforms. It happens. The good thing (from what I've read) is that the BMW pump works quite differently than the others, and John is very optimistic about it. He now sees demand and wishes to put into effect his ideas on a completely different pump. Tony has identified a solution that works and his price is fair. But no one can complain about competition, and no one can say with certainty that any of them are going to stand any test of time.

All of that said it is the perfect time for John to step it up (or up the ante so to speak), prove himself, his product, and hopefully enlighten us with his knowledge along the way. The problem with these forums sometimes is that people always are so defensive about someone sharing the wealth of knowledge they may have from their own REAL experiences from the trenches. So sit back, let John do his thing, and welcome the competition.

Rob

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    this is my point. we have no problem outing him, but do your part and provide proof that cannot be argued, vendor on vendor accusations get old when one starts crying. the user here has more power than a vendor, post the receipts and more pics of said damage and it wont take long.

but random people signing up that DONT have experience do not help the cause

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The fosters overseas tastes different somewhat

less foul as far as i know hahaha
    I couldn't give a XXXX
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

continue(S) [COLOR=#878787 !important]3rd person singular present ofcon·tin·ue (Verb)[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
    That is all lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Your price point seems very steep, no beta/intro pricing? Stage 1=$1295 + $995 for stage 2...Seems high considering your competitions price point is well below that. At this point his solution has been tested on a record breaking vehicle and we have zero details or data on who or what you have been testing your products on (other than a few hints about two mysterious big singles).
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I smell sketchiness all around on this subject...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

0 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Has anyone else gone to their site and read this. $1295 for stage 1 that supports 600 HP? They do not state crank or wheel so I am assuming crank, we made 673 WHP no meth with D having to pull scaler because the DME was pulling so much fuel. His "stage 2" upgrade costs $2300 bucks and i s good for 700 HP. Well we made 725WHP on 109 and again had to pull scaler as the DME was pulling so much fuel. We used meth to keep IAT's in check period, not as a fueling band aid. We know we have at least 800WHP worth of fuel. So exactly what are you gaining for $2300 over what we offer for $499 if you supply your own parts? Hmmmmmm. I also love how now that we made it known the fuel rail needs addressing, he is acting like he knew this all ALONG. BS per usual for this guy. He is also offering you guys a refund if you run a certain HP level or time, all you have to do is put a HPFPupgrade sticker on your car...Click here to enlarge

Oh I forgot, this is with stock feed lines, but he says you need to upgrade them to see 700HP? Honestly it really doesn't add up.

From the HPFPupgrade website

"After a year of development we are proud to release our fueling upgrades for the BMW market!
    The Stage 1 fuel system will include pump and injector rail. The injector rail is needed to reach the full potential of the Stage 1 and 2 fuel pumps. The Stage 1 fuel system will deliver enough fuel to meet the demands of 550HP with proper tuning. 600HP will be possible with in tank pump upgrades and racing fuel. On average we see a 20% flow increase from our Stage 1 fuel pumps.
    Stage 2 fuel system be capable of 700HP with upgraded in tank fuel pump and upgraded feed lines. Bench testing has shown the Stage fuel pump delivering enough fuel to support 800HP if the feed side demands are high enough (low pressure side). This is with proper supporting modifications and proper tuning. On average we see a 40% increase in our Stage 2 fuel pumps. Release of the Stage 2 fuel pump will be midsummer."
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 05-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If all the newcoming members are genuine, and attempting to warn us of an impending nightmare, then I think this dude should be taken with a grain of salt. Rest assured, when I find out shiv's next platform target, I'm doing the same to every one of this threads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

2 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This dude has plain and simple been a scam for SO long on MULTIPLE platforms LOL I don't care what he "claims" his "pumps" did or do. Its a fact he's majorly scammed people. As individuals but also as a business we will certainly not endorse his products or practices. Jake's been part of other communities where things have unfolded raising many eyebrows and has seen this first hand. At the end of the day one can just issue a friendly warning.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey everyone, I just like to share my experiences with John and his product. No I don't have a BMW but I do enjoy watching the development of this car and what it can do. I do have a VW GTI and I have John's Stage 1 pump that was a new one from him. It's on my car and has been working just fine for 15k plus miles no issues. No I don't go to the track and I don't race out at an autocross very often. I do tend to push my car just normal DD some days and others I baby it. My car goes through all the climate changes you could see, from -20 up to 110 degree days, and still no issues.

When I bought the pump I called John and spoke to him, provided it took a bit to get ahold of him. After that I felt fine buying his product and again have had no issues. I'm not here to defend him just offering my experience with his product.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast