Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

6 out of 8 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Fuel...

You need more right? You don't want to run methanol? Not a problem.

14 months ago I took on the BMW fuel pump, injectors and in tank module in hopes to get a higher flowing system for you guys. After months of wrecking several fuel pumps and $1000's of dollars in cut apart injectors we finally have something that flows more fuel. We didn't put much effort into the in-tank upgrade because one was already done from a different vendor.

The injectors:

OMG!!! What was BMW thinking? You cannot pull them apart without damaging the dampener inside them (yes they have what appears to be a small fluid dampening unit inside the injectors). Not only this but they are reverse pintle design (seals on the cone side). We are still working on a way to open the injector and machine them but applying power to a spinning injector is turning out to be more difficult than we though. We are still working on a solution for bigger injectors, but more on this later.

The HPFP:

Wow, what a wonderful piece of artwork BMW gave us to work with. I am really surprised on the operating parameters of this pump and the pressures it can build based on the design. The first things we noticed are the restrictions in the pump cavity's. Some of them are so small its amazing it moves any volume at all. Next, the pump is RPM limited due to the light spring pressures for the piston and pressure chamber. Pump testing on the pump dyno proved to be more difficult than planned but after building an oil pre-pressure and fill chamber we finally had a working test stand to dyno fuel pumps with.

Now that you have some of the details of the parts I can share with you how we make them better.

The injectors can be machined but need to be opened in order to do the machine process. We are working on this and hope to have a solution before the end of summer.

The fuel pump we have a 18-20% higher flowing unit right now and have a 35-40% higher flowing unit planned end of summer. We tear down the fuel pump to its base items (custom tools were made to tear the pumps down). Every part is kept in a clean room so no dust, dirt or debris can get on or inside the pump. We start off with reworking the springs, not going to tell you which one's or how much additional we add but it will provide a more stable fuel pressure and extends the RPM band to 8,000 RPM. Then we start massaging the passages inside the fuel pump. We have found its possible to get 60% more flow out of the pump with to much port opening, problem being... idle quality and pressure control turn to crap. It took several fuel pumps to find how much .002 of a difference really made, LOL. Then we run the pumps on the pump dyno with the oil controlled pressure chamber (freaking really BMW?) pressurizing the pumping head on the HPFP. When we are all done with testing and machining a Stage 1 fuel pump... we have a pump that moves enough fuel to feed 600 WHP without methanol and a proper tune. Stage 2 fuel pumps, well... that is a different beast! We machine new pump pistons (all 3) and new pressure build chambers. Perform all the Stage 1 pump upgrades and you have a fuel pump that should supply 700 + WHP worth of fuel without methanol and a proper tune.

Now, before you guys start asking for pictures... understand we have a lot of R&D wrapped up into these fuel pumps. I don't want to leak any of the visual details of what we are doing to the competition, so keep that in mind. We are also keeping pricing in check, we don't see a need to gouge you guys for additional fuel or create competition from over pricing. All our fuel systems come with a modified fuel rail. This modification helps with the lean condition for 4-6 cylinders.

Every fuel pump we modify will be brand new. We do not want to risk getting a revision 3 or 4 fuel pump just to have it fail after we modify it. We start off with the latest revision from BMW and apply our upgrade's to that fuel pump. This way everyone knows they are getting the best product from BMW and from us.

We will have two customers cars running our fuel pumps in the coming weeks, both of them will be able to push the full potential of our Stage 1 and 2 fuel pumps.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by hpfpupgrade; 04-30-2013 at 03:25 PM.

2. #ADS

Ak335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hpfpupgrade Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need more right? You don't want to run methanol? Not a problem.

14 months ago I took on the BMW fuel pump, injectors and in tank module in hopes to get a higher flowing system for you guys. After months of wrecking several fuel pumps and $1000's of dollars of cut apart injectors we finally have something that flows more fuel. We didn't pump much effort into the in-tank upgrade because one was already done from a different vendor.

The injectors:

OMG!!! What was BMW thinking? You cannot pull them apart without damaging the dampener inside them (yes the have what appears to be a small fluid dampening unit inside the injectors). Not only this but they are reverse pintle design (seals on the cone side). We are still working on a way to open the injector and machine them but applying power to a spinning injector is turning out to be more difficult than we though. We are still working on a solution for bigger injectors, but more on this later.

The HPFP:

Wow, what a wonderful piece of artwork BMW gave us to work with. I am really surprised on the operating parameters of this pump and the pressures is can build based on the design. The first things we noticed is the restrictions in the pump cavity's. Some of them are so small its amazing it move any volume at all. Next, the pump is RPM limited due to the light spring pressures for the piston and pressure chamber. Pump testing on the pump dyno proved to be more difficult than planned but after building a oil pre-pressure and fill chamber we finally had a working test stand to dyno fuel pumps with.

Now that you have some of the details of the parts I can share with you how we make them better.

The injectors can be machined but need to be opened in order to do the machine process. We are working on this and hope to have a solution before the end of summer.

The fuel pump we have a 18-20% higher flowing unit right now and have a 35-40% higher flowing unit planned end of summer. We tear down the fuel pump to its base items (custom tools were made to tear the pumps down). Every part is kept in a clean room so no dust, dirt or debris can get on or inside the pump. We start off with reworking the springs, not going to tell you which one's or how much additional we add but it will provide a more stable fuel pressure and extends the RPM band to 8,000 RPM. Then we start massaging the passages inside the fuel pump. We have found its possible to get 60% more flow out of the pump with to much port opening, problem being... idle quality and pressure control turn to crap. It took several fuel pumps to find how much .002 of a difference really made, LOL. Then we run the pumps on the pump dyno with the oil controlled pressure chamber (freaking really BMW?) pressurizing the pumping head on the HPFP. When we are all done with testing and machining a Stage 1 fuel pump... we have a pump that moves enough fuel to feed 600 WHP without methanol and a proper tune. Stage 2 fuel pumps, well... that is a different beast! We machine new pump pistons (all 3) and new pressure build chambers. Perform all the Stage 1 pump upgrades and you have a fuel pump that should supply 700 + WHP worth of fuel without methanol and a proper tune.

Now, before you guys start asking for pictures... understand we have a lot of R&D wrapped up into these fuel pumps. I don't want to leak any of the visual details of what we are doing to the competition, so keep that in mind. We are also keeping pricing in check, we don't see a need to gouge you guys for additional fuel or create competition from over pricing. All our fuel systems come with a modified fuel rail. This modification helps with the lean condition for 4-6 cylinders.

Every fuel pump we modify will be brand new. We do not want to risk getting a revision 3 or 4 fuel pump just to have it fail after we modify it. We start off with the latest revision from VW and apply our upgrade's to that fuel pump. This way everyone knows they are getting the best product from BMW and from us.

We will have two customers cars running our fuel pumps in the coming weeks, both of them will be able to push the full potential of our Stage 1 and 2 fuel pumps.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

John

Not bad 4 min from my bump to your update! i like your style
    Repped
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 642whp 514 wtq -
    DYNO VIDEO: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ight=6466+dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Not bad 4 min from my bump to your update! i like your style
    Repped
    Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Also note that the N54 and N55 engines share the same pump. We can modify either of them to give more fuel. I hope to have a fuel pump in COBB's hands soon so they can build a OTS map with our fuel pump.

Ak335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Also note that the N54 and N55 engines share the same pump. We can modify either of them to give more fuel. I hope to have a fuel pump in COBB's hands soon so they can build a OTS map with our fuel pump.

Message sent

benzy89 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

AWESOME --- In a matter of months, the N54 has hit over 700 WHP and gotten 4 fueling upgrades
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    420 WHP on 93 Octane | 460 WHP on E85
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

I got the message but cannot reply to PM's yet.

Our fuel pumps will not support those power levels on E85. The biggest problem will be getting enough fuel through the injectors. We should have that problem resolved soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    AWESOME --- In a matter of months, the N54 has hit over 700 WHP and gotten 4 fueling upgrades
    Thanks!

Ak335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I got the message but cannot reply to PM's yet.

Our fuel pumps will not support those power levels on E85. The biggest problem will be getting enough fuel through the injectors. We should have that problem resolved soon.

i figured as much but thats ok as we still need the HPFP/rail upgrade and will do our thing with the lpfp. Not an issue at all Click here to enlarge Id like to help if possible PM back when you get that feature enabled... @Sticky ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Oh god, not again. Counting down until you get banned from BMW forums as well......

Ak335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Oh god, not again. Counting down until you get banned from BMW forums as well......

ok im sitting down?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Is this the same guy?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jhershorin Click here to enlarge
    Even if John from HPFP comes out with one for this platform I advise no one even consider it as a viable option. That guy is a crook. He has operated under more business names than I have years in my life. He has been kicked off every forum for lying, copying others ideas, bs parts that don't work, made up failure rates, and pumps that just suck. Look up company names like PTPerformance and all the other bs names associated with him. Some of the companies are even under his wife's name to attempt to hide his past.
    These people on e90post are pain in my assholes. I buy a downpipe, they buy a downpipe. I buy a fmic, they buy a fmic. I buy Vargas stage 3 turbos, they can not afford. Great success!

Ak335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

ok... a bird says he may be local to me.. if hes local and working on something.. im at least intrigued.. time shall tell the truth i guess

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Look around Google. It was even talked about on here briefly. Been banned on SRT Forums and Mazda Forums. Probably others. I dont know much beyond the SRT Forums side but he screwed over many people. Take a look around and read up before you put too much faith in. Just a fair warning to anyone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Is this the same guy?
    Yessum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yup. I'm wondering why the people here have such short memories. This $#@! was discussed just recently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

ok... a bird says he may be local to me.. if hes local and working on something.. im at least intrigued.. time shall tell the truth i guess
    Yea, do what you want, I just wanted to give a heads up before people get caught up in crap.

Ak335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Yup. I'm wondering why the people here have such short memories. This $#@! was discussed just recently.
    i only catch up when i update my build thread so i prob missed it :/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yea, do what you want, I just wanted to give a heads up before people get caught up in crap.
    Several others posted in his welcome thread. I'm guessing they missed the implied snark.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I just guessed they didn't read that part of the thread. Not sure if @Sticky has vetted through anything on him or not but it is the same guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yawn, this again.

If anyone wants the truth, they can email me.

There is not one single person ever that we scammed or didn't delver a product to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Several others posted in his welcome thread. I'm guessing they missed the implied snark.
    I will have to go check in on that thread, should be interesting.

Ak335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Thanks for the warning. Im interested to see how this shakes out. Ill say this.. I have a build that would be a true test to any fuel system upgrade just like the VS3's would be as well. If the man is local and this banter is true... If he wants to reprove him self and i can test it on my car without charge to see if its the real deal.... ill think about it for the good of the community

@hpfpupgrade

Are you in central florida?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Look around Google. It was even talked about on here briefly. Been banned on SRT Forums and Mazda Forums. Probably others. I dont know much beyond the SRT Forums side but he screwed over many people. Take a look around and read up before you put too much faith in. Just a fair warning to anyone.
    Not the case, the screwing people over is nothing but lies.

Who are you and where are you getting your information?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Thanks for the warning. Im interested to see how this shakes out. Ill say this.. I have a build that would be a true test to any fuel system upgrade just like the VS3's would be as well. If the man is local and this banter is true... If he wants to reprove him self and i can test it on my car without charge to see if its the real deal.... ill think about it for the good of the community

@hpfpupgrade

Are you in central florida?
    No, Washington state.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast