Close

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Active Autowerke | Level 3 upgrade and VAC Bearing Upgrade @ 75k Miles

    Our long time customer has brought to our attention that he would like some extra power and decided to go with our level 3 upgrade. While under the knife we also decided to swap out the oem bearing with a set from VAC. Being that the car is a 2008 and supercharged for over 35k miles it should be very interesting to see how the bearings have held up over the years.


    I will be updating the thread with our findings and pictures as we go along for community to see.


    Some stats on the car.


    2008 e92 M3


    Current miles 72,000



    Miles Supercharged 37,000


    Gen 1 level 2 (Hks 8550)kw v3 , stoptech trophy, AA short shifter, Full Active Exhaust, Volk te37 SL






    Click here to enlarge


    Click here to enlarge


    Click here to enlarge


    Update:1

    We had a little issue with the studs that arrived from a 3rd party (not Vac) so we will have to wait for the correct ones to arrive. We did however pull one bearing down for the time being for you guys to check out. We found no abnormal wear to the bearing for the mileage.


    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge


    Lower
    Click here to enlarge


    Upper
    Click here to enlarge

    Last edited by Andrew@activeautowerke; 04-29-2013 at 03:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,462
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    This is good news! much easier to be pre-emptive than reactive.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    22
    Rep Points
    94.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wow that bearing looks pretty good for its milage and I assume it is from the 2007-2009 recall bearings(unchanged?) ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    I don't get it - why some cars, and not others? This was boosted, albeit not heavily - but still - that bearing looks VERY good. The con-rods are pretty stout from my understanding, the crank - guessing the same damn thing - as the cost is ridiculous to replace...

    I know there was some talk about flex of the block? Is that what causes failure? Again - why on some cars not others though? It's almost seems like a QA issue to me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aaaaaaa Click here to enlarge
    Wow that bearing looks pretty good for its milage and I assume it is from the 2007-2009 recall bearings(unchanged?) ?
    Factory 2008 model bearings.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I don't get it - why some cars, and not others? This was boosted, albeit not heavily - but still - that bearing looks VERY good. The con-rods are pretty stout from my understanding, the crank - guessing the same damn thing - as the cost is ridiculous to replace...

    I know there was some talk about flex of the block? Is that what causes failure? Again - why on some cars not others though? It's almost seems like a QA issue to me.

    My guess now is late oil changes and driving the car hard before oil temp is reached.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    I bet that has something to do with it, or type of oil used, climate...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the reply (below) - in your opinion, how bad are those upper bearings? Normal wear for this mileage, or no good?

    Makes sense that they are worn more since they would bear the majority of the load - just not sure what is the norm for an engine like this.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the reply (below) - in your opinion, how bad are those upper bearings? Normal wear for this mileage, or no good?

    Makes sense that they are worn more since they would bear the majority of the load - just not sure what is the norm for an engine like this.
    Im no expert on bearing wear but from what I heard around the shop its better than expected.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,488
    Rep Points
    32,174.7
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    Factory 2008 model bearings.
    Quite impressive. This guy change his oil early all the time or drive like a grandma or what?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,488
    Rep Points
    32,174.7
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    We're all looking at the same thing or is it me? Lower look far more worn?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Upper is more worn.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    750
    Rep Points
    861.8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Still, only *having* (didnt really need to yet) to replace them after being supercharged + that high of miles.... makes me want to hop into a S65.
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Am I the only one that thinks that's high wear? Maybe it's normal for the s65, but it doesn't look normal to me...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,488
    Rep Points
    32,174.7
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    Upper is more worn.
    Not sure why it looks the opposite to me. Flash angle? Light?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Points
    78.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's the complete bearing sets. Religious about changing oil every 3-4k miles and letting the car warm up before going past 3k rpm. And no, I don't drive like a granny Click here to enlarge

    Upper:
    Click here to enlarge
    Bottom:
    Click here to enlarge
    Upper/Lower:
    Click here to enlarge
    Upgraded Rotrex Blower:
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Brakes front (changing pads):
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Brakes (rear):
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,488
    Rep Points
    32,174.7
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mtbkr31 Click here to enlarge
    Here's the complete bearing sets. Religious about changing oil every 3-4k miles and letting the car warm up before going past 3k rpm. And no, I don't drive like a granny Click here to enlarge

    Upper:
    Click here to enlarge
    Bottom:
    Click here to enlarge
    Upper/Lower:
    Click here to enlarge
    Upgraded Rotrex Blower:
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Brakes front (changing pads):
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Brakes (rear):
    Click here to enlarge
    Very nice set of pics here. How many miles total and you are changing the bearings now?

    Or is this the 75k mile car? Just want to make sure I understand.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Points
    78.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey Sticky,

    This is the 75k mile car...actually has around 72k in reality. The VAC bearings along with the ARP studs have been installed. Currently the car is being dynoed and tuned at Active. Hopefully I'll be able to pick her up today.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,488
    Rep Points
    32,174.7
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mtbkr31 Click here to enlarge
    Hey Sticky,

    This is the 75k mile car...actually has around 72k in reality. The VAC bearings along with the ARP studs have been installed. Currently the car is being dynoed and tuned at Active. Hopefully I'll be able to pick her up today.
    Awesome, please post the graph after the tune!

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    Yes Reputation No
    Just got it up and running. 535 whp Mustang dyno. Perfect Afr 11.8

    Click here to enlarge


    Last edited by Andrew@activeautowerke; 05-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,462
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    Just got it up and running. 535 whp Mustang dyno. Perfect Afr 11.8

    Click here to enlarge


    Sounds legit!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    19145
    Posts
    597
    Rep Points
    2,152.3
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Cool thread.

    Our ARP S65 rod bolts are perfecto. Glad team AA picked them up eventually ;-)

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Rep Points
    2,200.8
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    Cool thread.

    Our ARP S65 rod bolts are perfecto. Glad team AA picked them up eventually ;-)

    So am I. This car is making some good power!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •