Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Anyone with O.S. Giken LSD? Need some feedback please

All,

I just got my car back from getting an O.S. Giken installed along with M3 subframe bushings and Delrin differential bushings.

The LSD was built by VAC since I had welded ring gear. So I received the whole housing, aka "the pumpkin" already built and assembled from VAC. Therefore, I trust their build quality.

I took a longer drive around the city today and I noticed the following:

1. There is a faint whining noise definitely coming from the differential. Its not there when cruizing. If I accelerate OR decelerate the frequency and the sound level increase or decrease. However, if I cruise at constant rate regardless of the speed, there is no sound.

2. Sometimes when I engage and disengage the clutch, there is a faint "thud" or "thump" sound coming out of the back.

Are these symptoms normal?

Thanks in advance.

Vasil
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bump

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thud is inherent with the the Wavtrac and some reports of the Quaife. Isn't the OS Gilken clutch type? Surprised it's as prominent. I made a thread after having the thud with my wavtrac. I'm pretty sure there's additional lash in within the unit, since my driveshaft could be rotated what seemed an extra 15-20 degrees, on top of the BMW limit of 30 degrees. I asked wavtrac for a technical explanation, no response. (Also no response to the amount of metallic debris it was generating.)

The whine is likely extra NVH being transferred into the cabin via M3 bushings. I didn't notice it on my car particularly...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Thud is inherent with the the Wavtrac and some reports of the Quaife.
    Doesn't the thud happen with the stock BMW diff too?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    God I hope VAC did not ship me the the wrong diff housing with a Wavetrack...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't the thud happen with the stock BMW diff too?
    I think you are correct. I've heard a very very slight "thud" with my stock diff before, on very rare occasions, mostly when engaging in gear after the car has sat in the garage for a week.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I think you are correct. I've heard a very very slight "thud" with my stock diff before, on very rare occasions, mostly when engaging in gear after the car has sat in the garage for a week.
    Every BMW I have owned has had the thud.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have a 2009 Auto(small pumpkin) 335i sedan with OS Giken Super Lock TCD. Not sure if you opted for the TCD or not?

I also purchased mine via VAC, but mine was bolted, so it was fully installed/assembled in my original diff casing at my local installer.

Mine makes no noise as far as whirring or whining. I do have the TCD, which is supposed to be quieter, as well as more cooling internally due to the oil flow.

When it was new, there was a rather obvious "thunk" when switching into or out of reverse. I attribute this to a bit of pre-load that you'd see on an automatic transmission as it switches in or out of that reverse gear. I think you might notice it on a manual, but due to the nature of having control over the clutch, it may be a bit less obvious.

The thunk has definitely gotten quieter after the break-in period. I'm sure part of it is that i just don't notice it as much anymore/got used to it, but it's definitely not as loud or as physically noticeable as it was when new. Took about 3-4 weeks I think.

No noise during operation at all though. Again, this is a TCD. The regular model would likely be a little bit louder, but I've never compared.

I've had mine for about 6 months now. I've done one HPDE with it. I think it operates excellently. My HPDE instructor used to own a modified 335i and after he drove my car, he couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. M5's were being eaten alive on the track with absolute ease. It transforms the car.

Even for daily driving I've noticed it. Granted, I live in an area with lots of elevation changes and hilly roads are just part of my daily commute. I don't ever remember hearing the diff though...just feeling it engage. Always smoothly, but you can feel how different it is as far as traction in those circumstances and how the power is distributed.

If it's whining, I'd have it checked. Any decent shop should be able to verify the lash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's the diff bushings
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    tullnd,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I do have the TCD. Quieter and cooler operation is what I wanted so I opted for the TCD. Do you also have aftermarket diff bushings?

BlackSheep,

Thanks for your feedback as well!

On the side note: the car feels completely different (in a very good way) now with the LSD, the subframe and diff bushings.

This weekend, I am planning on draining the diff, taking off the diff cover and investigating. I'll shoot a video and hopefully capture the sound that I am talking about.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the stock diff bushings. While I agree the bushings could be the cause, for the cost of the diff, personally, I'd have it checked out.

My installer kept asking me every few weeks if I heard anything. Mostly because he wanted me to give him a heads up if I did, before I blew the diff up. I'd rather pay an hour of labor to inspect it than possibly have to replace it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd call VAC, my quaiffe makes no noise at all but I've read it's normal to hear a slight whine like your describing.

I think blacksheep is right about the bushings, I also have read they will make you notice the whine more than stock
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got the diff lockdown on the stock diff an I have the noise. I did not have it prior to the lockdown install. Solid bushings will transfer more sound.
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    I got the diff lockdown on the stock diff an I have the noise. I did not have it prior to the lockdown install. Solid bushings will transfer more sound.
    Interesting, what diff lockdown do you have installed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge

Thanks for the clarification! It seems that after 250 miles, my diff has quieted down a bit, but the whine is still there. In any case, I will make it to 500 miles and then drain it, pop the diff cover and check things out.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge