Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Drag launch w/ DCT questions

Ok, first and foremost, i spent a little time searching, but I have found multiple conflicting answers, So i figured I would start a thread on this.

The car is going in for an ESS 625 next week, and the next Wednesday i plan on taking her to a test and tune night at the drag strip. My question is in reference to the DCT and launching the car.

I know there are 2 ways to launch, first being the actual launch control, 2nd being "poor mans" launch control where you just mat it from a dig and the engine automatically revs to 3500ish and then engages one of the clutches.

My question in reference to the above, is which mode is "safer" on the DCT its self. I have heard mixed feedback, saying that true LC is more wear and tear. Then I have heard that using the poor man method will destroy your 1/3/5/7 clutch in no time where as the standard mode is safer and recommended to use.

Any useful, proven feedback would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks ahead of time.
    -08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT 613hp-
    -ESS/AR 700 - KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - Challenge-
    -2012 Brushed Red Aluminum GTR-
    - Jacks 3.8 w/ Jacks heads - Jacks Drag 800 w/ billet gears - AAM GT-900R - Swift - ADV.1 - Ecutek via Visconti -
    - 1060hp 852tq 32psi - 9.34 @150mph 7688ft DA - 185.5mph 1/2 mile 9240ft DA -
    http://www.jackstransmissions.com/
    http://store.vtune.us/
    http://www.revvolution.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From my experience i did the "poor mans" launch a lot and barely used LC because of the stress is cause(5 times max).I actually broke the record for fastest ET doing the "poor mans" launch but it got broken by VAC later. I had over 300+ times at the 1/4 mile with my M when i had it. I recently sold it but my DCT felt the same from the day i bought it.
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @LostMarine chime in since he actively tracks his E92 M3 too
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlownE92M3 Click here to enlarge
    Ok, first and foremost, i spent a little time searching, but I have found multiple conflicting answers, So i figured I would start a thread on this.

The car is going in for an ESS 625 next week, and the next Wednesday i plan on taking her to a test and tune night at the drag strip. My question is in reference to the DCT and launching the car.

I know there are 2 ways to launch, first being the actual launch control, 2nd being "poor mans" launch control where you just mat it from a dig and the engine automatically revs to 3500ish and then engages one of the clutches.

My question in reference to the above, is which mode is "safer" on the DCT its self. I have heard mixed feedback, saying that true LC is more wear and tear. Then I have heard that using the poor man method will destroy your 1/3/5/7 clutch in no time where as the standard mode is safer and recommended to use.

Any useful, proven feedback would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks ahead of time.
    Who told you that this would destroy your clutch in no time? Just curious - but I think the box would hold more than this. It's a wet clutch setup, not dry - they can handle this type of abuse much better, as they are less likely to overheat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can someone explain this poor mans launch a bit better to me? Never been on the 1/4 mile strip and looking to go one of these days.
    ​2014 F10 M5 Competition Alpine White / Sakhir Orange
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
    Can someone explain this poor mans launch a bit better to me? Never been on the 1/4 mile strip and looking to go one of these days.
    Pretty much, without having to go through the hassle of setting up the car to launch using LC, you just turn traction control off, and mash the gas in 1st past the detent. The rpms will automatically raise to about 3500 then engage the first clutch.
    -08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT 613hp-
    -ESS/AR 700 - KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - Challenge-
    -2012 Brushed Red Aluminum GTR-
    - Jacks 3.8 w/ Jacks heads - Jacks Drag 800 w/ billet gears - AAM GT-900R - Swift - ADV.1 - Ecutek via Visconti -
    - 1060hp 852tq 32psi - 9.34 @150mph 7688ft DA - 185.5mph 1/2 mile 9240ft DA -
    http://www.jackstransmissions.com/
    http://store.vtune.us/
    http://www.revvolution.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i know who is claiming what on LC and poor mans LC.. The same people have no experience other than this car, and have been seen doing things that should have blown the car up while at the track. oddly, they made it home, but not much longer Click here to enlarge

all things equal, poormans LC will be less stressful on clutches, but possibly more stressful on other internals. imprtant because noone has had to replace anything besides clutches.

the other question, is if it is more useful to do poor mans LC and real LC.

Currently, LC has shown better results for me, but thats because of tires used.. ill be testing this theory again shortly with even variables

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mdm with traction on mash the pedal and you get mini launch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pretty much, without having to go through the hassle of setting up the car to launch using LC, you just turn traction control off, and mash the gas in 1st past the detent. The rpms will automatically raise to about 3500 then engage the first clutch.
    BlownE92M3 says traction off and mash it. AKH says MDM on mash it. Are these just two different ways of doing t?

Anyone more input?
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BlownE92M3 says traction off and mash it. AKH says MDM on mash it. Are these just two different ways of doing t?

Anyone more input?
    MDM on,
    off and no slicks will just spin. im looking to see if i have video to show you of it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have heard mixed feedback, saying that true LC is more wear and tear.
    Launch control is far more wear and tear. I used the clutches up in 10k miles due to it.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dct Owner problems Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    mdm with traction on is mini launch and traction off is just spin city like LM said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sweet. Will definitely test this out while I have the car. Thanks