Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I did mine last year. Took me an hour and a half. I ran cable all the way back to the battery. My car did the same thing as JPsimons car. If it starts acting up it will leave you stranded.The conn. at the fuse boxis just a slip on conn.and my fuse box was burnt at that conn. My car seemed to be revitalized after I did the swap. I think the car does not get the appropriate voltage and it causes all kinds of strange codes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    weird, I;'ve received letters for my 2007 E90 and 2010 E92

Could you do me a favor and scan this letter for me?

Thank you.

Vasil
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    OMG you didn't.... did you leave ANY mods on the car for the recall??.
    Me? No. I ran the stock intake all winter and other than that it's just a Cobb, which I uninstalled for the appointment. Still on CPO for another year.

Drove it around for a while more tonight and it's definitely running better. Either an ECU reset thing, or a voltage thing. Just thought someone here might have an inside scoop on which...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The mention of them doing this to cars to find out if they have mods is absurd. Most of the dealerships already have their policy of either acting on or not care when you come in with mods that aren't related to the problem. To go through the hassle of a major recall that affects a good percentage of cars that are already out of warranty would make no sense. There have been several cases already documented on the BMW forums of people having the power issue, one I remember was some dude over in the middle east that fought with his regional BMW for like 6 months as they didn't make just that part and possible ended up selling him the complete fuse panel and wiring just for that piece.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I did a bit of digging myself.

Check if your car is affected here:
    http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...er/recall.aspx

This is a link for the actual recall letter:

http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_130323e9...6-3e0c87f96fe5
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Absolute waste if it's a "Mod Recording", since 98% of the N54s are gonna be coming off their original 4 years/50,000 mile OEM Warranty soon anyhow. I can understand that BMW wants to blame excessive modding on premature failure of WGs, Injectors & HPFPs, but if you remove your tune & are on the OEM software, there's no "incriminating" evidence.

IF you showed up with an ST or Vargas Stage 3s, that's a different story.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    Isn't this a huge job? I have no faith in BMWNA's motives but to replace the cables in literally 1000's if not 100,000's of cars just to look for evidence mods sounds a bit far fetched. This is like an all day job.
    not to mention... anyone who takes their car to a dealer already just gets their mods removed

not to mention, anyone can just buy the new cable and swap it out themselves...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    not to mention... anyone who takes their car to a dealer already just gets their mods removed

not to mention, anyone can just buy the new cable and swap it out themselves...
    Yeah, the early reports on this were that it was a fairly lengthy procedure at the dealer. But if it is just couple of easy hours and the parts are cheap, when/if I have the problem, I'll do it myself and not waste time & headache of taking off the mods.

Unless my turbos or something major start going out too, and CPO has not expired by then. That might be worth taking mods off to get new turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I had mine done a few weeks ago, I did however put back to stock with exception of FMIC. I didn't have much anyway, I was in for WGs replacement. Anyway my main point was for a buddy of mine who took his car in after fully code, COBB install and Alpina Flash. he had a fueling code I think so he left in the COBB so the code wouldn't be removed. Long story short, they took his car on a little joy ride, the techs were caught off guard with the S1 and D1 went to his SA. SA called up my buddy Harry, Harry Said yup I got a Aplina Flash to my transmission. SA said very cool, all work complete no hassle. Everything has been normal, code, COBB and Alpina.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 Click here to enlarge
    Long story short, they took his car on a little joy ride, the techs were caught off guard with the S1 and D1 went to his SA.
    Remind me to Uninstall or put the Valet map on
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not an all day job. They did my cable plus a brake job in 6 hours. Its only a short section of cable from under the passenger seat to fuse box.

Isn't this a huge job? I have no faith in BMWNA's motives but to replace the cables in literally 1000's if not 100,000's of cars just to look for evidence mods sounds a bit far fetched. This is like an all day job.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Remind me to Uninstall or put the Valet map on
    Right? I'm just going off what Harry said. Based off his MPG gage. Was about half from what was shown just before he took it in. I would like to think they were just test driving to see if the fuel code would come back.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    no, they remove the fuse panel behind the glove box and replace a small portion of the wire. it's an easy 2 hour job
    $#@! I thought it was in the trunk. You don't think they'll have any issues with a detector hardwired to the fuse box, right? Also what dealership do you use? I'm giving Darien a shot since they sounded mod friendly on the phone
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Oh for sure lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yamaharecker Click here to enlarge
    Its not an all day job. They did my cable plus a brake job in 6 hours. Its only a short section of cable from under the passenger seat to fuse box.
    I think if you had zero issues and just need a cable swapped it is an easy job. On cars that have extra problems that prompted the recall (melted housings, shorting, car dying completely, etc.) it ended up being a much bigger deal at least on some early fixes I read about on the other forum. Maybe someone who had the problems that prompted the recall in the first place can chime in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Q for those who have done it themselves. Is this the big braided un-insulated cable you see under the car on the passenger side after you remove the covers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Q for those who have done it themselves. Is this the big braided un-insulated cable you see under the car on the passenger side after you remove the covers?
    No, it's like a 2 gauge red wire that runs on the inside passenger side from the back of the fuse box in the glove compartment to the battery in the trunk. I can also say that this issue is very real like @jpsimon mentioned, my car would randomly loose power, got progressively worse until I replaced the fuse box and entire battery cable myself.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    No, it's like a 2 gauge red wire that runs on the inside passenger side from the back of the fuse box in the glove compartment to the battery in the trunk. I can also say that this issue is very real like @jpsimon mentioned, my car would randomly loose power, got progressively worse until I replaced the fuse box and entire battery cable myself.
    OK thanks for the info. I was looking at the braided cable while doing a DP install on my Xi last month, wondering if that was it. Hoping it wasn't as an un-insulated + cable would have been kind of stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another Q, is it #1 here PN 61129125036:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=61&fg=30

Also how is the replacement part better/upgraded/different? In other words just replacing the old cable with the exact same thing wouldn't make much sense, so I assume/hope there is a new # for the recall.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psmith95 Click here to enlarge
    $#@! I thought it was in the trunk. You don't think they'll have any issues with a detector hardwired to the fuse box, right? Also what dealership do you use? I'm giving Darien a shot since they sounded mod friendly on the phone
    My buddy is a BMW tech at North Haven, i requested to have him do the work. I unplugged my hardwired V1, i left it all in the glove box but just unplugged it from the fuze box. I'm not worried about warranty issues since i have no more warranty at this point. I left the USB cable in there too
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    My buddy is a BMW tech at North Haven, i requested to have him do the work. I unplugged my hardwired V1, i left it all in the glove box but just unplugged it from the fuze box. I'm not worried about warranty issues since i have no more warranty at this point. I left the USB cable in there too
    I guess i'll leave it in there or see what the SA says. I'm going tomorrow to talk to him beforehand since it will be my first time at the dealer and i'm going to try to get some new turbos
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was going to post a link to a pdf of the procedure they perform for this recall. But I can't because I don't have a 5 reputation yet. Lame. Try to help out and can't.

Has anyone tried this while leaving the cobb installed? I don't have warranty so not concerned about that, just not sure if they need to 'test' anything afterwards by hooking up to odb2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by foghat Click here to enlarge
    I was going to post a link to a pdf of the procedure they perform for this recall. But I can't because I don't have a 5 reputation yet. Lame. Try to help out and can't.
    Have some rep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by foghat Click here to enlarge
    Not lame all you have to do is ask. No way for people to know if you are legit or a spammer if you are brand new. You can post links now, wow, that was sooooo difficult.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks for the rep. Here you go.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V044-3987.pdf

Enjoy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast