Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I was just messin... but weight certainly plays a part...

speaking of which, where has hotrod been? and what happened to him? Didn't he own every 335 offering (335 sedan, coupe diesel, etc lol )? He's gotta still have one of them. I enjoyed watching him pull on those AMGs ... was only a year ago or so... Him and LM are/were the most dedicated at catching the n54 in action.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trbolexis Click here to enlarge
    It's not that easy .... COBB changes some ID information the reader compares with to decided if reading the ROM is safe or not.

If ID dont match .. you cannot read the ROM.

I doubt its ripped from COBB. More than likely ripped from Vishnu; who uses stock ROM iD's - hence the Vishnu flash is dealer friendly.

Nomenclature is just that ... a name. I'd use similar names from a software (COBB gives away free) for my open source project as well. Keeps the familiarity from one software to the next, for the users. Josh assumses IP theft because of names used for descriptors .... give me a break... next people will claim IP for the "Large" pizza .. or "small" fries.

Anthony
    LOL. I don't assume IP theft, he stated it in his first post. I also said it may not be from Cobb, but he clearly stated he was "hacking" other flash tunes for tables. There's only a few of us that flash vehicles... I don't care where it comes from, the fact is he's not doing the work on his own, which is disappointing. I've been doing this for a long time and its unfortunately pretty common in this industry.

We'll continue to innovate and offer support. Open source may or may not come around. I'll repeat myself again since apparently not all of my posts were read... I'm not upset about the project, just they way they've gone about getting the info. It is what it is.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    this is precisely why Cobb has little to worry about.
    i, on the other hand, really want full control over the $#@! going on in my car... and assuming proEFI pulls through, i'm there.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately true, i wish there was more ATR discussion going on...
    is it just because it's SO limited..? even the guys who DO know what they're doing have to get a protune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Let me say this about ATR and tuning in general. I attempted to get a pro-tune in the middle of summer by an authorized Cobb Pro-tuner. I drove an hour and a half (each way) and spent hours on the dyno and the tuner could only get it to make 306 hp and I was running the OTS Stage 2+ map. After about 6 hours, they blamed it on the turbos saying they were shot.

At this time, I was somewhat new to tuning etc. and had no idea how to read a data log. I posted the logs from the dyno session and themyst pointed out that IAT were reaching 180! Shouldn't a "professional" tuner have noticed this and let the car cool down before continuing to do pulls on the dyno?

Later in the week I sent some logs from the street to Dzenno and he said that the logs looked great and nothing was wrong with the turbos. After that email discussion, I decided to go with PTF for my pro-tune and a couple of months later I was trapping close to 119 mph on my E45 map with the same "shot turbos."

Moral of the story is that I wouldn't trust just anyone to tune this car after the headache I was put through. I would only trust someone who knows the N54 inside and out and has a reputation. I know there are a handful of members that know their $#@! but there are going to be a lot of fly by night tuners blowing up engines with open source tuning.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I don't see why anyone new to tuning would try and tune this car themselves with ATR or opensource when they can have PTF tune the car for about 200. At this point they have to be some of the best, most efficient tuners of the 335 with the amount they have done. I know i'm extremely happy with my PTF tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Let me say this about ATR and tuning in general. I attempted to get a pro-tune in the middle of summer by an authorized Cobb Pro-tuner. I drove an hour and a half (each way) and spent hours on the dyno and the tuner could only get it to make 306 hp and I was running the OTS Stage 2+ map. After about 6 hours, they blamed it on the turbos saying they were shot.

At this time, I was somewhat new to tuning etc. and had no idea how to read a data log. I posted the logs from the dyno session and themyst pointed out that IAT were reaching 180! Shouldn't a "professional" tuner have noticed this and let the car cool down before continuing to do pulls on the dyno?

Later in the week I sent some logs from the street to Dzenno and he said that the logs looked great and nothing was wrong with the turbos. After that email discussion, I decided to go with PTF for my pro-tune and a couple of months later I was trapping close to 119 mph on my E45 map with the same "shot turbos."

Moral of the story is that I wouldn't trust just anyone to tune this car after the headache I was put through. I would only trust someone who knows the N54 inside and out and has a reputation. I know there are a handful of members that know their $#@! but there are going to be a lot of fly by night tuners blowing up engines with open source tuning.
    Yeah, big lesson learned there. PRS ftl, i gave up on having them fix my protune maps. Water under the bridge.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeenon53 Click here to enlarge
    I don't see why anyone new to tuning would try and tune this car themselves with ATR or opensource when they can have PTF tune the car for about 200. At this point they have to be some of the best, most efficient tuners of the 335 with the amount they have done. I know i'm extremely happy with my PTF tune.
    Because we car people are curious and love to tinker, i feel confident in my ability to get my car running 90% using ATR, but i wont begin to call myself a tuner because IMO that term is just on a different level. The n54 is actually a great place for someone to begin playing around with the engine tuning, its extremely forgiving because of all the safety features.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

You still need an AP for PTF to tune the car where open source would be free from the start.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

[COLOR=[URL=http://www.bimmerboost.com/misc.php?do=dbtech_usertag_hash&hash=222222%5D%5BF ONT%3DTimes%5D%5BQUOTE%3Dlulz_m3]#222222]
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3[/URL
    444786]Yeah, big lesson learned there. PRS ftl, i gave up on having them fix my protune maps. Water under the bridge.
    [/COLOR]

Will was a good dude but the tuner seemed somewhat clueless knowing what I know now.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I think the competition is good for the N54 community and will only make Cobb work harder.

@Josh@Cobb has worked very hard on the BMW platform and has done a great job!!! Hopefully they will put more people & resources into the BMW DME and find more tables!!
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    I think the competition is good for the N54 community and will only make Cobb work harder.

@Josh@Cobb has worked very hard on the BMW platform and has done a great job!!! Hopefully they will put more people & resources into the BMW DME and find more tables!!
    He seemed to have dropped a little hint earlier in the thread that something is in the works.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    He seemed to have dropped a little hint earlier in the thread that something is in the works.
    There's always something in the works Click here to enlarge
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    You should elaborate Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Can you give us an idea of what to expect and a time frame?
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

So glad I switched to COBB... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Can you give us an idea of what to expect and a time frame?
    Basically just working on things that you guys have been asking for (for quite a while). These things are hard to give a time frame on, but I'll post more as things progress. Right now I'm working on more control items mostly, after that, extra features...

I've been busy keeping up with N55 and trying to maintain N54 as well, but we're almost to the point that everything is in "maintenance mode" and I can commit more of my time to adding the cool stuff. I don't like to build hype for anything that isn't complete, so I'll just leave it at that for now.

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on for the N54 platform from lots of vendors right now... should be exciting for the end users, and for me as well.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

So we're waaay off topic now. I'm gonna get back to my code. You guys carry on
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So we're waaay off topic now. I'm gonna get back to my code. You guys carry on
    Cool new stuff from Cobb should have been the topic in the first place. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Cobb nice to haves -

A TCU tune that takes care of any flatlines.
    An AT rev limited launch control and a way to adjust the tranny to your preference.
    Traction control modes and settings.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Cobb nice to haves -

A TCU tune that takes care of any flatlines.
    An AT rev limited launch control and a way to adjust the tranny to your preference.
    Traction control modes and settings.
    Seriously.

TCU flash with real control seems like it would be a real breadwinner for Cobb and a huge win for customers. I know nothing of how complex it really is but I would imagine it's got to be easier than cracking the DME which must have a zillion tables with complex relationships.

The problem is perhaps the interaction with other modules in the car or just you need a guy that knows how autos/mechatronics work and who can crack the code = uncommon. Someone will do it eventually I'd guess and it will be awesome when it happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    if that were the case, you'd have seen a ton of blown motors already with ATR.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    you can blow a motor with any of the current tunes... it's a pointless statement.
    Most of the current tunes have some safety inherently built in -- The piggys will automatically reduce timing & COBB with the OTS Maps provides map details of necessary requirements (gas octane/necessary mods). With ATR, I feel like the only people messing around with that are people who know what they're doing. With Open Source tuning, you are more likely to have people who have no idea what they're actually doing, what the map was designed for (91, 93, 100+, or E85 Maps), what mods were required, but because it's free & it'll increase the power they'll just flash for it.

The attractiveness of "cheap" if going to lure in a lot of people who have no idea what they're doing/what's being changed. But because it'll be super easy & not cost $500, they'll just copy, paste, flash & hope for the best. Luckily the OEM DME is very advanced and as long as someone isn't altering the knock detection/sensitivity settings, people will have enough intelligence to data log & not run a tune their motor doesn't agree with.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge so is that how you always trapped 3-4 mph faster than anyone else? Did Hot Rod have this too ? LOL Click here to enlarge
    No it's just that east coast cars are slow. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    I was just messin... but weight certainly plays a part...

speaking of which, where has hotrod been? and what happened to him? Didn't he own every 335 offering (335 sedan, coupe diesel, etc lol )? He's gotta still have one of them. I enjoyed watching him pull on those AMGs ... was only a year ago or so... Him and LM are/were the most dedicated at catching the n54 in action.
    You might not believe me but he drives a Nissan Leaf most of the time now. He does these 12-24 month leases on the cars so goes through a lot of them. I'm trying to talk him in to getting another N54 but so far no luck. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trbolexis Click here to enlarge
    It's not that easy .... COBB changes some ID information the reader compares with to decided if reading the ROM is safe or not.

If ID dont match .. you cannot read the ROM.

I doubt its ripped from COBB. More than likely ripped from Vishnu; who uses stock ROM iD's - hence the Vishnu flash is dealer friendly.

Nomenclature is just that ... a name. I'd use similar names from a software (COBB gives away free) for my open source project as well. Keeps the familiarity from one software to the next, for the users. Josh assumses IP theft because of names used for descriptors .... give me a break... next people will claim IP for the "Large" pizza .. or "small" fries.

Anthony
    Biased much? @trbolexis - You work for FFTEC or Vishnu - why would anyone lend any credence to your opinion?

I wouldn't trust stock/REIT/MF advice from a CEO, nor would I trust the supposed "intellectual property" about an FFTEC/Vishnu product from a FFTEC/Vishnu employee.

Surely you understand what a conflict of interest is?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

lol he wishes he never started so now he doesn't have to defend himself and look worse

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast