Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mdrobnak Click here to enlarge
    Well, it's more of a metallic "tink" type of sound even as far as going from deceleration to acceleration or vice versa. Not every time, but most times. Most noticeable in lower gears, hence the theory that it's too much driveline lash going on here... But if that's "normal" then I guess I'll just have to deal with it...

-Matt
    It's the diff input/flange splines moving against the pinion gear splines on reversal of drive direction. It can be fixed by lubricating the splines with extremely high melting point grease. I have also seen loctite used but it can make removal of the pinion/input flange tough if you ever need to take it off again to say replace the input/pinion seal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rosie,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into that.

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rosie,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into that.

-Matt
    Matt,

Anytime. There is a BMW SI that describes the issue on later models but it applies to E46's as well.

I don't have enough rep points to post it, but google "SI B33 04 08" and look at the PDF on the Shipkiller site.

Rosie.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rosie Click here to enlarge
    I don't have enough rep points to post it
    You do now.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

that sucks man

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You do now.
    Sticky, thanks heaps!

Matt,

Check this out.......

http://www.shipkiller.com/SI%20B%203...Aug%202009.pdf

Any decent tech should be able to do this, the trick is to ensure that the pinion flange and nut go back on to the same position so that the preload and crushable spacer aren't changed.

It shouldn't take more than 1.5 hrs to do the whole job (drop the exhaust, heat shield and tailshaft to get in there)

Rosie.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sticky, thanks heaps!

Matt,

Check this out.......

http://www.shipkiller.com/SI%20B%203...Aug%202009.pdf

Any decent tech should be able to do this, the trick is to ensure that the pinion flange and nut go back on to the same position so that the preload and crushable spacer aren't changed.

It shouldn't take more than 1.5 hrs to do the whole job (drop the exhaust, heat shield and tailshaft to get in there)

Rosie.
    Awesome. Thanks!

How do you know this applies to E46 as well?

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Forced Induction Options and Questions

Well, I had two phone calls today, and neither of them went exactly the way I wanted.

I first talked with Garth at Undercover Tuning about what they could put together for my 330. A few things:

Their existing turbo kit is for the M3 but he was certain he could make it work. The kit is for the 400-800 HP range, which is much higher then I need or want.

The ProEFI can do what I want.

The tuning times are about what I expected.

The labor times for the turbo kit was longer then anticipated - 15-20 hours, as was the ProEFI at around 8 hours. Of course these are all estimates.

The fuel system will support E85 out of the box. To support ~600HP he recommended a inline pump to add some additional capacity for safety.

So a rough price with their setup ~$18k.

I'm looking for ~400HP to the wheels at max. Not looking to go crazy, so this setup is quite overkill.

Then I was able to talk to Nick at Technique Tuning on the phone. I learned a bit about some details with the DME that I did not expect.

In the Ford world, even ECUs from wildly different vehicles, from Mustangs to Town Cars to Sables could likely be adapted to run each other's stuff.

The MS45 and the MSS54 DMEs are wildly different in terms of control strategies, and it would take about a week or more of work to get things copied over from the MS45 and then fine tune what couldn't be carried over. This was shot down by Nick, which I can understand. The market is incredibly small for either the dual-map code for the MS45, or an even smaller market for those wanting to do a DME swap, harness modification, etc, and on top of that, we're weren't sure if the EGS of the M SMG and the EGS of the SSG on the 330 followed the same protocol when talking to the DME. So it was just too many maybes and too much work.

So, that path is scrapped.

I was very happy to talk to both gentlemen, as they were very helpful and willing to spend time giving me ideas and suggestions.

The resulting options that I've come down to are these:

1. ESS positive-displacement blower (Stage 2 with intercooler) + ProEFI (~$14k)
    Pros:
    - Instant Torque
    - E85 ability
    - Shorter installation time

Cons:
    - Expensive for an 8 PSI kit
    - Fixed boost
    - Boost varies on atmospheric pressure (i.e. winter / summer, elevation)
    - Hardware is not much less then Technique Tuning Kit

2. Technique Tuning Turbo Kit (~$8k)

Pros:
    - Good amount of power added
    - Will work with Stock ECU
    - Not too costly overall
    - Complete Solution
    - Will pass inspection without issues

Cons:
    - No E85
    - Longer install time

3. Technique Tuning Turbo + ProEFI (~$15k)
    Pros:
    - E85 Support
    - Hardware less expensive then Undercover's M3 kit, and is known to work
    - Should make good power

Cons:
    - Unknown what kind of DME / ProEFI interactions would happen as a result of SSG, and inspection issues
    - Extra fuel system requirements for E85
    - More money!

My main questions at this point are:

* How much more power will I pick up on E85
    * How much trouble will I have with inspection with ProEFI
    * How much power can the M54 take if keeping the 6500 RPM redline?

I'd appreciate hearing everyone else's opinion on this.

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

2. Technique Tuning Turbo Kit (~$8k)
    Pros:
    - Good amount of power added
    - Will work with Stock ECU
    - Not too costly overall
    - Complete Solution
    - Will pass inspection without issues

Cons:
    - No E85
    - Longer install time
    I think @NickG may be able to accomodate E85 these days...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think @NickG may be able to accomodate E85 these days...
    Probably wants to keep focus to the E46 M3...and from my understanding the DME in that car is a PITA in comparison but this is going from other members posts on that subject...I have no passionate knowledge on it.

Regardless for the price...it makes more sense...LOGICAL HONEST TO GOD SENSE to sell the car and buy and M3...better platform...better options. The upgrade to the car in itself is awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Nick wants to focus on the MSS54 DME, he would have a tiny market with the MS45 in the 330.

As for selling..i don't think I'd get enough money for my 330 to make it work for getting an M3.

(More later, posting from phone)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Nick wants to focus on the MSS54 DME, he would have a tiny market with the MS45 in the 330.

As for selling..i don't think I'd get enough money for my 330 to make it work for getting an M3.

(More later, posting from phone)
    But you're talking about dumping at minimum 8k into a turbo kit...either way good luck with w/e you choose I just don't see the sense in it...sure it's a PITA to sell the car and find a new one...but it's exciting as well!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, exciting, sort of.

I spared the gory details in the beginning, but it took me a while (this was the 3rd BMW technically I bought...the first two were gone quickly due to issues that I'd rather not re-live.), and suffice to say I have no real desire to sell this vehicle.

The car will be my last gasoline/E85-only vehicle. The next car I buy will be either a full on EV (Tesla Model S I wish but too expensive right now), or some sort of hybrid.

I did a lot of initial research, and the car that had the best balance of performance, fun, and fuel economy was the 330. The S54 eats a LOT more fuel as I understand it. The maintenance on the engine is more expensive. Because it has a "M" in the name, it's more expensive. Morons want to race you on the street cause it's an M. (I witnessed this personally. One of the two earlier BMWs was a Z3M. People were just actin-a-fool to race me in that car.)

Unfortunately a tree hit my front passenger fender, and I tried going after the local city for it, but, that didn't work. I have some scratches on the rear passenger fender from someone keying it.

So selling it isn't the easiest of options.

S54 swap. LABOR INTENSIVE. So that's not fun. About 5-8k for engine + trans if I want to keep SMG. Less if I convert to full manual.

So that's kinda out too.

And now you have more insight about why I don't want to go down those paths. I'm very practical, and try to make data-driven decisions. Emotions play in it as well, but I don't let them be an overriding factor. Emotional decisions tend to not work well for me. :-/

I'd much rather spend some money, get my car the way I want, and enjoy it!

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sounds like anything turbo kit or performance related is out of the question then...x5 for the amount of downtime you will have with boost and pretty much the same goes with maintenance. Sorry to say it bro but I would highly advise against anything turbo related other than what Nick G currently offers...but even still 8k + all the added maintenance still.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and forgot a simple reason for 330 vs M3: Four doors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

The car will be my last gasoline/E85-only vehicle. The next car I buy will be either a full on EV (Tesla Model S I wish but too expensive right now), or some sort of hybrid.
    Funny you mention that. My next car is going to be a P85 Model S. The more I research, the more I like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Oh, and forgot a simple reason for 330 vs M3: Four doors.
    Good point.

Get a turbo kit. If you want E85, Pro-EFI is the answer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome. Thanks!

How do you know this applies to E46 as well?

-Matt
    I've fixed about a dozen of them over the years with this repair.

I've also seen cars have their diff replaced and sometimes the tail shaft with it replaced, only to see the noise return. It only seems to affect cars that have a lot of load put through their diffs in reverse gear.

Regarding your FI dilemma, (and this is just my $.02) don't forget to factor in the cost of upgraded brakes and suspension. The SMG and Diff should be ok, but I wouldn't do any hard launches because the SAC clutches are a weak point and I think the SMG would struggle to adapt to an upgraded clutch.

Rosie.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funny you mention that. My next car is going to be a P85 Model S. The more I research, the more I like.
    The combination of beauty, power, and a lot cleaner / efficient then current vehicles. So close, yet just out of reach lol.

I've fixed about a dozen of them over the years with this repair.

I've also seen cars have their diff replaced and sometimes the tail shaft with it replaced, only to see the noise return. It only seems to affect cars that have a lot of load put through their diffs in reverse gear.

Regarding your FI dilemma, (and this is just my $.02) don't forget to factor in the cost of upgraded brakes and suspension. The SMG and Diff should be ok, but I wouldn't do any hard launches because the SAC clutches are a weak point and I think the SMG would struggle to adapt to an upgraded clutch.

Rosie.
    Thanks for the insight. If it's not going to grenade on me, I may ignore it for now, since at a later point in time, a Quaife differential upgrade is planned. I'm not sure what to do about brakes. Definitely something I thought about, but if talking about numbers starting near 10k to begin with, another few later on are irrelevant. Click here to enlarge

Clutch-wise, that's also in the back of my mind, which is another reason for "modest" power goals compared to some here LOL. I'm pretty certain that nobody has found / modified the table which describes the clutch engagement characteristics on the SSG, thus to keep it working right, things would literally have to be nearly exactly like stock.

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

The combination of beauty, power, and a lot cleaner / efficient then current vehicles. So close, yet just out of reach lol.
    It's honestly not quite that expensive once you factor everything in, gas saved, time saved, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Final Thoughts

After really thinking it through...

After seeing that a M3 drivetrain swap was being offered by a NY shop @ $6500 for installation...with a complete drivetrain on Ebay @ 9000, that's $15.5k right there.

While that offers GREAT possibilities, it's for MUCH more room then I want.

I don't think I'd ever get to 500 crank HP.

Therefore the plan is this:

* Technique Tuning Turbo Kit @ 8.5 PSI initially
    * Drive while happy
    * After about ~1 Year ProEFI ECU, E85, X PSI - Whatever the stock clutch will take, then..
    Option A - See if NickG can modify GS20 EGS code to be able to replace clutch.
    Option B - Switch back to full manual. Click here to enlarge There's only a few parts that'd be different, which is good.
    * Max PSI on E85 without blowing up clutch and motor.

I think that lets me get maximum enjoyment without spending ~$25k for engine + turbo + labor for a S54 swap and all the fun that goes along with that....

To me it sounds like a good plan Click here to enlarge

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

After really thinking it through...

After seeing that a M3 drivetrain swap was being offered by a NY shop @ $6500 for installation...with a complete drivetrain on Ebay @ 9000, that's $15.5k right there.

While that offers GREAT possibilities, it's for MUCH more room then I want.

I don't think I'd ever get to 500 crank HP.

Therefore the plan is this:

* Technique Tuning Turbo Kit @ 8.5 PSI initially
    * Drive while happy
    * After about ~1 Year ProEFI ECU, E85, X PSI - Whatever the stock clutch will take, then..
    Option A - See if NickG can modify GS20 EGS code to be able to replace clutch.
    Option B - Switch back to full manual. Click here to enlarge There's only a few parts that'd be different, which is good.
    * Max PSI on E85 without blowing up clutch and motor.

I think that lets me get maximum enjoyment without spending ~$25k for engine + turbo + labor for a S54 swap and all the fun that goes along with that....

To me it sounds like a good plan Click here to enlarge

-Matt
    Good luck with the ProEFI...that'll take you down a long dark road. Stick with the TT kit and leave it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Just start with the Technique Tuning kit then go from there if you need more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just start with the Technique Tuning kit then go from there if you need more.
    Exactly what I plan. Click here to enlarge

Now if someone will get back to me as for schedule and exact costs, I'll get the ball rolling.

-Matt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Exactly what I plan. Click here to enlarge

Now if someone will get back to me as for schedule and exact costs, I'll get the ball rolling.

-Matt
    @NickG is busy I guess but hope he gets back to you. He isn't a vendor here unfortunately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast