Close

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was preparing my keyboard warrior response... then I read Eleventeen's post
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    Not a simple comparison in ALMS, they "equalize" the cars and deliberately slow down fast cars via ballast and restrictors. There's not really any question that in a no-limits format the LSx engines are just flat out superior to the S65.
    You mean for flat out power potential, of course. I mean the displacement would be the limiting factor.

That doesn't change the fact the Vettes are racing with more displacement and have lost to the BMW's with less displacement, right?

It isn't as one dimensional as max aftermarket power or torque. Idiotic.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    ALMS is not a good example of M3 engine superiority because at the end of the day they are all just handicap racing just like thoughbred race horses.
    It's a fantastic example of professional racing in a high stakes environment. It's not kiddie BS like strapping on an aftermarket blower, ok?

The M3 engine superiority comes from its superior design which doesn't need 5.5 liters to kick some serious ass in road course racing. Just like how the Porsche GT3 can do it with a six-cylinder.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Short stroke for rpm. People buy gt3 and Porsches for racing, not necessarily quarter mile or high power. Displacement has nothing to do with high VE...
    Yes, road racing where the S65 V8 shines and you boil it down to max torque or HP for high power as if that is sign of engine design or response? Stupid as I said it was.

Sticky, read this wiki on stroke ratio if you're confused.
    Read this if you want to learn about BMW engine design that you obviously need some help with it will tell you all about stroke: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ower-potential

And stop accusing people of not knowing what they are talking about, when they do, or you look dense.
    When you start looking like you know what you are talking about I'll stop telling you that you don't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    How quickly something revs though is NOT what responsiveness is - nor is low end torque a measure of response.
    I'm amazed this even needs to be explained. Guy brings up torque in relation to throttle response... wow.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Regarding low-end torque, the S65 makes 80% of peak torque from 2,000 RPM to redline. You make torque to the ground with gearing. Again - look at the C5 Z06 vs. the S65 powered M3 - yes, the LS makes more torque at the crank, but cannot use aggressive gearing due to it's relatively low redline. Basically, the S65 - to the ground makes more torque than the Z06 in 1st gear and matches it in 2nd.
    WHY DON'T PEOPLE GET THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You mean for flat out power potential, of course. I mean the displacement would be the limiting factor.

That doesn't change the fact the Vettes are racing with more displacement and have lost to the BMW's with less displacement, right?

It isn't as one dimensional as max aftermarket power or torque. Idiotic.
    Sure, displacement doesn't matter as much when you have the stewards slapping restrictors on the bigger engines for you. Good point Sticky.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure, displacement doesn't matter as much when you have the stewards slapping restrictors on the bigger engines for you. Good point Sticky.
    How does an air restrictor on all the motors for max peak power change the advantage of displacement?

The S65 due to its higher redline can be geared more aggressively. Yep, very good point you missed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How does an air restrictor on all the motors for max peak power change the advantage of displacement?

The S65 due to its higher redline can be geared more aggressively. Yep, very good point you missed.
    The restrictors aren't on all the motors. They slow down the faster cars with smaller restrictors and more ballast. It's multi-marquee spec racing. Surely you knew that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sticky knows everything and everyone knows it, and he doesn't have to prove it... sit back and enjoy your knowitallism

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For some reason when I posted I was thinking response and low end torque, you know, the feeling of engine response when you hit the gas. Achievable by gearing, torque, etc. I was wrong to call those things "response" as in free rev throttle response. And I know better, so I apologize for that. Already admitted that, but thank you anyways for being so kind to contributors in your forum and choosing your words so maturely and respectfully.

Yes, road racing where the S65 V8 shines and you boil it down to max torque or HP for high power as if that is sign of engine design or response? Stupid as I said it was.
    Agreed, the S65 V8 shines for road racing. Power, torque, gearing (yes sticky, commonly overlooked in relation to engine RPM), and tuning make a car responsive to pushing the throttle down when it's in gear. Not when it's free revving though, which is what response technically is. Again, I was wrong, although I hate to use that word because I damn well know what response is, I was just thinking of something else. So please sticky, hang me out over a fire to feed your own ego. Either way, free revving response alone has absolutely nothing to do with if a car is good for anything other than wrapping up quickly. Although it is fun as hell.

Read this if you want to learn about BMW engine design that you obviously need some help with it will tell you all about stroke: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ower-potential
    I read the whole article. There was a lot of really good and well researched information, good comparisons, etc I gotta hand it to you.

But I also now know where you stand now. I don't think I've ever seen somebody so taken by the S54 and S65 in my life. So it makes sense why you would jump all over others for saying neither is gods gift to automotive enthusiasts. I mean you were contradictory in your article anyway, you say how the S65 is the last true M engine that was pure M, and then you say it was detuned from the factory stroke wise and used recycled V10 bits. Doesn't sound like a S54 or "true" enthusiast/no hold barred engine to me. And you applaud iron blocks in the S54 and then applaud aluminum blocks in the S65. You even understand the benefits/limitations and yet whichever one the engine came with is just better in your eyes because BMW "M" chose it. But that's a logical argument so it's not relevant to the way you debate.

When you start looking like you know what you are talking about I'll stop telling you that you don't.
    Don't worry, to you I'm sure everybody looks like they have no idea what they are talking about Click here to enlarge

It's not worth spending my time debating this with you. Because in the end, you aren't interested in a debate or a discussion. You are interested in name calling. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The restrictors aren't on all the motors. They slow down the faster cars with smaller restrictors and more ballast. It's multi-marquee spec racing. Surely you knew that.
    This is news to me, what engines don't have restrictors? Didn't BMW's get downsized? Yep:

Porsche 997 GT3 RSR -> +15kg = 1235kgBMW M3 GTR -> 0,4mm smaller air restrictor = 29,4mm x2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Sticky knows everything and everyone knows it, and he doesn't have to prove it... sit back and enjoy your knowitallism
    I back everything up. Sorry the S65 has great response and tons of awards. Sorry BMW has dominated ALMS with it. These are facts. This really happened. What needs to be proved?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For some reason when I posted I was thinking response and low end torque, you know, the feeling of engine response when you hit the gas.
    So you were incorrect? Yep, glad you see that. Because a turbo can give you the rush of torque that makes it feel fast but doesn't give it the response of a high revving NA motor with ITB's. And not the flat curve either.

Agreed, the S65 V8 shines for road racing. Power, torque, gearing (yes sticky, commonly overlooked in relation to engine RPM), and tuning make a car responsive to pushing the throttle down when it's in gear.
    Yep, exactly what I said.

But I also now know where you stand now. I don't think I've ever seen somebody so taken by the S54 and S65 in my life
    The engineers who judge these motors seem to agree with me.

So it makes sense why you would jump all over others for saying neither is gods gift to automotive enthusiasts. I mean you were contradictory in your article anyway, you say how the S65 is the last true M engine that was pure M, and then you say it was detuned from the factory stroke wise and used recycled V10 bits.
    It's not a contradiction at all. It is the last true M motor. It also does use the S85 V10 parts and is not as good as it could be. I find the S54 more impressive. These are not contradictions at all. The S65 is the last motor to follow the TRUE M Philosophy.

And you applaud iron blocks in the S54 and then applaud aluminum blocks in the S65.
    I thought this was made quite clear? The iron block is applauded for its aftermarket strength and the change to the aluminum-silicon in the S65 is clearly identified as for weight saving reasons for road racing where the S65 has shown superiority to the S54. This is clearly mentioned, what's hard to understand?

It's not worth spending my time debating this with you. Because in the end, you aren't interested in a debate or a discussion. You are interested in name calling.
    It's name calling for me to reference articles, awards, and professional racing? I said you didn't know what you were talking about and on those points you in your own post just agreed with this. That wasn't name calling, it was accuracy, that you just supported.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is news to me, what engines don't have restrictors? Didn't BMW's get downsized? Yep:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    So then you understand that the different motors get different restrictors (or none at all) in order to equalize them. So you understand the comparison in that context is useless.

Unless you just want to argue and can't admit you're wrong, in which case you'll reply to this post with some more "points".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a fantastic example of professional racing in a high stakes environment. It's not kiddie BS like strapping on an aftermarket blower, ok?

The M3 engine superiority comes from its superior design which doesn't need 5.5 liters to kick some serious ass in road course racing. Just like how the Porsche GT3 can do it with a six-cylinder.
    It is BS racing as fake as the WWF. The ideal outcome for the promoters would be an all manufactures photo finish. They have come out & said as much. With restrictors & weight we should be able to get these cars within a 1/4 second of each other. They engineer weighted ballast & restrictor plates to do just that. Its just an engineered spectacle.

Why not just dress up a bunch of Chevy Volts in pretty custom bodies to look like BMW’s, Porsche, Corvettes etc. get photo finishes & save a lot of money. Works for NASCAR. Real racing would be open by induction, displacement & weight. Within that just run what you brung. Cubic inches have a quality all of their own that the Europeans have been emulating with the AMG 6.3 ect.

There is nothing wrong with a blunt instrument solid as an anvil that will run forever & crap on the high strung small displacement technical marvels. Except of course if you have a high strung tech marvel that is getting thumped by the blunt instrument. Hey lets change the rules the Yank Vettes are winning to much.

It will be interesting to see your car run whenever you manage to get it finished.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-23-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So then you understand that the different motors get different restrictors (or none at all) in order to equalize them. So you understand the comparison in that context is useless.

Unless you just want to argue and can't admit you're wrong, in which case you'll reply to this post with some more "points".
    How is it useless when the BMW's got slowed down and have lower displacement? And there is a displacement cap to equalize it, not done solely by air restrictors. Sorry, you also mentioned that some don't even have air restrictors in the GT class which means you don't seem to know ALMS or how the regulations apply or have been changed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is BS racing as fake as the WWF
    I didn't realize the results were pre-determined, good point. Really, nice one!

The ideal outcome for the promoters would be an all manufactures photo finish. They have come out & said as much. With restrictors & weight we should be able to get these cars within a 1/4 second of each other. They engineer weighted ballast & restrictor plates to do just that. Its just an engineered spectacle.
    They want to make the racing as exciting as possible and considering I just got back from a race in person I would say they have succeeded. It was incredible to watch the Z4's come from behind and take it.

Why not just dress up a bunch of Chevy Volts in pretty custom bodies to look like BMW’s, Porsche, Corvettes etc. get photo finishes & save a lot of money. Works for NASCAR. Real racing would be open by induction, displacement & weight. Within that just run what you brung. Cubic inches have a quality all of their own that the Europeans have been emulating with the AMG 6.3 ect.
    These aren't Chevy Volts, this isn't Nascar, and the cars represent their production shape and production motors. This isn't DTM racing.

It will be interesting to see your car run whenever you manage to get it finished.
    Because this has something to do with what? Engine response? Professional racing? Or just a left field negative comment?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    are we still talking about early dynos?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415