Close

Thread: Cobb Issues

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Cobb Issues

I recently attempted to make the switch from my jb4 g5 iso to cobb. The car runs awesome on the jb4. When I first installed the cobb I was having crazy throttle closures due to over boosting. I checked the wastegates with a vac pump and adjusted the rear a little. A member was kind enough to send me a map to try with lower WGDC logs looked much better. Well I ended up uninstalling the cobb and reinstalling the jb4 until I had some more time to mess with it. I then decided I was just going to get a protune and it would fix my over boosting issues. Today I put my jb4 on map 0 reinstalled the cobb and took it for a spin on the first pull I get the 1/2 engine light... p30ff low boost the car would only make 7psi on stg 2 Click here to enlarge. I checked my charge pipe and diverters everything looked ok. I uninstalled the cobb again and put the jb4 on map 2 and took a quick 2nd gear log and boost is right on target? Not sure what is going on at this point. Here are some logs if anyone has any input. Sorry they are not all nice 3rd gear pulls the i didnt want to rev it out running poorly.

Log 1: First install cobb stage 2 v401
    Log 2: Switched to stage 1 v401
    Log 3: Stage 2 map with lower WGDC
    Log 4: Install from today 30ff
    Log 5: JB4 map 2 right after i uninstalled the cobb
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

what COBB map is giving a P30FF? try running OTS 4.02 maps.

btw, COBB OTS maps will work great with most cars. Some cars that have wastegates on the extreme end of the spectrum will need manual adjustment (software/hardware... although if it works with JB4 then software adjustment will fix your issues)
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Stage 2 v401 sport ST. It appears the only OTS 4.02 maps are for cars with FMICs. I just do understand how the car can go from having extreme overboost issues to a 30ff. I guess I will install for a 3rd time its over boost and underboosted so maybe 3rd time is a charm lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Tried a few diff maps 8psi every time. I wonder if the g5 iso board still controls boost on map 0? I will uninstall the jb4 and see what happens

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The ISO board doesn't have a full pass through map0 and is programmed to run stock like boost. If you run it hard you may end up with a 30ff code. If you are looking to run only the Cobb then you must remove the JB4 G5 fully.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    The ISO board doesn't have a full pass through map0 and is programmed to run stock like boost. If you run it hard you may end up with a 30ff code. If you are looking to run only the Cobb then you must remove the JB4 G5 fully.
    This, however the newest firmware T put out may work, but i haven't seen or heard confirmation of that
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

OP I think you are using the newest firmware. If I understand correctly, the latest iso firmware should target the flash boost target.

your are getting P30FF because you are probably running the old firmware (pre IO18). that one is known for P30FF if you go WOT on map 0...

you have to uninstall the JB4 to run cobb by itself...
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

OP,

i have gotten a P30FF code when the Car is still adapting to the Tune on 3rd gear WOT. Ill get it post shift into 4th. After the tune fully adapts doesn't come back. Only gotten it on S1+ Agg. Though.

your car just may be a bit sensitive to the tune. Give it a couple days and some more WOT pulls.
    Last edited by VNeBLOB42; 04-14-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Since op has a jb4 installed and a AP why not run Terry's Cobb map with the G5 ISO stacked combo? Seems like the "best of both worlds"?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Awesome thanks for the help I'll pull the jb4 and then get it protuned

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome thanks for the help I'll pull the jb4 and then get it protuned
    Time to hit up PROtuning Freaks
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

slightly OT but are the OTS stg2+ aggressive maps safe to set and forget? according to Cobb I believe they are but according to others; they get massive amounts of timing pull on them...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    slightly OT but are the OTS stg2+ aggressive maps safe to set and forget? according to Cobb I believe they are but according to others; they get massive amounts of timing pull on them...
    It depends on the quality of your "93". If you're running good quality fuel and the car is mechanically sound then you should be good.

As always, i recommend datalogging to be sure.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    It depends on the quality of your "93". If you're running good quality fuel and the car is mechanically sound then you should be good.

As always, i recommend datalogging to be sure.
    cool, i am going to give the e30 maps a shot, thats a different story i imagine lol, how would u mix the tank for those?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

cool, i am going to give the e30 maps a shot, thats a different story i imagine lol, how would u mix the tank for those?
    Regardless of what map you're running, you need to make sure you're running Timing Correction Free & Achieving the Proper Boost Curve. If you're running the E30 Maps, you also need to make sure that your STFT & LTFTs are both in check. To run the E30 Maps, you're gonna have to calculate how much E85 (which can be between 70-85% ethanol) to add to your Pump Gas (Normally 10% Ethanol).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

~5.5 gallons of e85 to a tank should suffice. Like Benzy said, keep an eye on STFTs and LTFTs. The goal is to keep peak STFTs in the low 20s and LTFTs as close to 0 as possible. Also, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on LPFP pressures to be sure the pump is running well.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Regardless of what map you're running, you need to make sure you're running Timing Correction Free & Achieving the Proper Boost Curve. If you're running the E30 Maps, you also need to make sure that your STFT & LTFTs are both in check. To run the E30 Maps, you're gonna have to calculate how much E85 (which can be between 70-85% ethanol) to add to your Pump Gas (Normally 10% Ethanol).
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    ~5.5 gallons of e85 to a tank should suffice. Like Benzy said, keep an eye on STFTs and LTFTs. The goal is to keep peak STFTs in the low 20s and LTFTs as close to 0 as possible. Also, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on LPFP pressures to be sure the pump is running well.
    Appreciate it, I will do some logging...