Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jb4 dyno only 303 hp?

Today I had some free dyno time and put my 07 335i 6at on. It has jb4 and dci. It only put down 303hp on map 5 300 hp on map 1 and 289 hp on map 1. this was quite disappointing, anyone else seen numbers this low? The dyno was a dynojet. thanks for any help

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

You need a Stock (Map 0) baseline. If Stock/Map 0 the car dyno'd at 230-240 WHP, that's a completely normal gain (60-70 WHP) for Map 1 (13 psi).

The old dyno comparison has been beaten to death & then some, you need to measure the gains on the same dyno to quantify the gains achieved by specific mods/tune adjustments.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stock was 265

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

@Terry@BMS

Do you have any data logs showing that the tune was hitting the correct boost target? Also what octane is the car being run on (91/93/E85)? Is the car RWD or AWD?

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

40hp for just tune and dci? thats about right. the #s dropped because you were getting heatsoaked. if you want more power, you have to add more mods

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You were most likely getting heatsoaked. Invest in an aftermarket intercooler next would be my suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No heatsoak, each run had breaks in between. It was no where near heatsoak. I was using 91 octane. I dont have a laptop so I couldnt datalog. I was really surprised, my friends 535 put down 20 more hp with a split second turbo tuner. My numbers on a dynojet are a good bit off from every other I've seen on a dynojet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Sounds possible on 91 octane. Normally they do 50rw+ but 40rw or even less is possible if conditions are bad enough. You would want to log the runs to evaluate.

I highly doubt that a 535 with an sstt made 20rw more on 91 octane same dyno same day.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

LOL a single gear pull is going to skyrocket your IAT's with the junk oem fmic. I'm telling you, get the usb cable next and then invest in a aftermarket intercooler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm an ase tech and smog cert, I know about iat's and that is def not the problem. I think it is quite disrespectful to basically call me a liar on the 535 dyno. It was same day same dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Problem he says heat soak you say no heat soak with out logs point is mute.. And as a tech you should want to get to the bottom of this... My 535 xi make 303 hp with a Jb3 so something is wrong..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats why I'm here, something has to be wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rmgv10 Click here to enlarge
    Until you take some quality data logs, nobody's gonna be 100% certain what might be off & why the car isn't producing more power. At this point there's a SUPER long list of possible things that might be holding back the power:
    1. Not Achieving Boost Target
    2. Ridiculous High IATs from Heat Soak
    3. Significant Timing Corrections / Timing Reductions
    4. Running Lean
    5. Misfires
    6. JB4 Not Even Installed Properly
    7. Wrong Map / Outdated JB4 Firmware
    8. Turbos Failing / Ridiculous WGDC

Get some logs & post them up. For a stock car, what kinda power/gains you expecting?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

There is something wrong. Get a cable, log and then you can find the problem.
    As a mechanic you could not fix a customers complaint of a poor running engine
    without using the OBDII information or hooking up some test instruments. Let alone
    do it over the phone.... which is about what this is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thing is without a lap top you can't create a log & without a log no one can help you. Additionally without a lap top you don't even know what firmware or original interface the JB4 is loaded with
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I'm an ase tech and smog cert, I know about iat's and that is def not the problem. I think it is quite disrespectful to basically call me a liar on the 535 dyno. It was same day same dyno
    No one is calling you a liar. I'm saying, I doubt a 535 with an SSTT/JB+ (3psi over stock) on the same fuel is making more power than you are. So either he isn't on 91 octane, or there is something wrong with your car. But a 40rw delta on 91 octane sounds entirely plausible to me. I would need to see a JB4 datalog from the dyno to offer any real advice on how you can make more power or correct the issue if there is one.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jb4 was bought mid dec from bms. I did have it on a 5 gas machine. Hc, co, co2, and afr were perfect. The car has to be pulling timing. I will try to borrow a laptop. Wouldn't all recent jb4 have new firmware?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I wouldn't come here with that attitude,
    1. Failure to log
    2. Discrediting heatsoak
    3. No dyno shsheet
    help us help you, post something relevant to diagnose your "perceived" issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Jb4 was bought mid dec from bms. I did have it on a 5 gas machine. Hc, co, co2, and afr were perfect. The car has to be pulling timing. I will try to borrow a laptop. Wouldn't all recent jb4 have new firmware?
    First off, 91 octane running stock timing won't be pretty as you ARE pulling timing, guaranteed with a JB4 only. IATs will skyrocket in the 140 degree range pretty easily on the stock FMIC, even on short Dynojet pulls. It takes a VERY long time to get the stock FMIC to drop down anywhere close to ambient for the next pull.

But get some logs. You posted nothing but a blanket statement about poor power gains with no data for us to review for assistance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

This thread is useless without the logs and dyno graph. This isn't ghost hunters and were not engine whisperers, we are people who require data to provide meaningful feedback. At least you know something's up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Probably has the G5 integrated firmware. So it's always possible you're getting throttle closure. When you get the USB cable update to the G5 ISO to eliminate that as a possible issue.
    Burger Motorsports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No attitude. 5Gas is more reliable than the bmw metering. if it was heatsoak nox would have been high, it was low which relates to NO HEATSOAK. Nitrics of oxides (nox) are formed under high heat

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

No attitude. 5Gas is more reliable than the bmw metering. if it was heatsoak nox would have been high, it was low which relates to NO HEATSOAK. Nitrics of oxides (nox) are formed under high heat
    You're $#@!ting us bro Click here to enlarge You cannot possibly argue with us by citing exhaust data and not having any data logs. Unless you're gas monitoring can tell us what the timing was on the motor, the boost curve, the IATs, etc, we're blindly stabbing at possible problems

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I'm not familiar with 5gas, but if you are monitoring out the tailpipe and still have cats the readings will be off, I'm sure you know. Ok, so it's not iat, timing, or fuel. Could be boost target, turbos, wastegates, boost leak, transmission, I dunno maybe head gasket, piston rings, valve seats...

Or maybe the jb4 is trash and worthless. No data, no story. No story, no publication. No publication, no worth. Do you have the dyno graph? Maybe some spool/torque things can be inferred from it at least. Better than a peak number and nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

This post by rmgv10 is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast