Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Awesome catch! Cant wait for BMW to release this but im no turbo guy.
    Last edited by 0-60Motorsports; 04-10-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    The muffler looks a bit rough, which makes me think that it could be made of titanium. Titanium does not have great bending properties so keeping it straight and rough may reduce costs. Or maybe it's just not a production muffer.
    Looks oxidized maybe from the same car doing winter testing somewhere? I don't know, I don't think that's titanium.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Don't forget to edit Post #12 too Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Whatever the redline is...why would that matter ? 7K is more than fine, as long as it makes the power and torque. Sound is good for sure, because the muffler has a bypass valve, as far as I see.

The muffler looks a bit rough, which makes me think that it could be made of titanium. Titanium does not have great bending properties so keeping it straight and rough may reduce costs. Or maybe it's just not a production muffer.

Quite odd location for the rear brake calipers.

The rear suspension looks like it has aluminium parts that look thinner than the ones on the e9x M3. Probably to save weight.
    I can almost guarantee you that the exhaust is not titanium - it has rust on it - and overall doesn't seem too high of quality. I am guessing it's just a test rig. A cool little factoid, a lot of people love the discoloration around the welds on titanium - however, violets/blues/greens in the color on or near the weld actually is not good. It basically means that the weld is of poor quality. The color should be white silver with shades going down to a tan color - anything other than this most likely signifies a poor quality TIG job. This doesn't mean if you see this color on the end of an exhaust tip it's bad - this is on or near the weld only...

The brake calipers are set as close to the center of the car as possible (to reduce polar moment by removing mass from the extreme front/end of the car) - the reason they are slightly canted downwards is likely either for packaging, or more likely to further lower the car's center of gravity. A lot of manufacturers have started to do the first (putting the calipers on the "inside") - not so sure what the downward angle is for - that I can only guess.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Whatever the redline is...why would that matter ? 7K is more than fine, as long as it makes the power and torque
    Have you driven a recent M3? That rush as the needle passes 7000 and keeps on swinging is one of the most intoxicating and satisfying feelings you can get while driving. The car is an absolute monster, incredibly responsive, and the noise is just epic. Monday mornings suck. A visit to 8200 rpm on the highway ramp definitely drives the Monday blues away and puts me in a good mood. The M3 has been defined by great motors for the last couple of generations. You have to work it to extract the maximum. Man and machine together. And it's a very gratifying feeling.

I love me a good turbo motor any day of the week, but a turbo motor going to 7000 rpm is not anywhere as exciting to me as a high revving motor is. I'll reserve final judgment for when I test drive one. And if it proves me wrong, I will put in an order for one as a daily driver right then and there. But I doubt it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Other manufacturers can do it though - I really think it's valvetronic that is limiting the RPM on the new Ms... They are making power via torque instead of RPMs. I can't dig it up now, but BMW themselves has said that Valvetronic is not fast enough to spin above X - X being something above a 335i and below the last generation M3.

Look at Audi's 4.2 liter in the RS5 - spins like a son of a gun (8500), and has DI. I would ALMOST say that this engine is on par with the S65 (blasphemy, I know). Click here to enlarge
    Haha, watch your tongue!

I figured they did it because the torque curve is probably (yea I'm really speculating here) similar to the 335i's. Comes on fast and strong and stays strong through the middle RPMS, but drops off a table over 6k making a higher redline not as useful as if we had a nice flat torque curve that goes strong to redline.

But then again, I'm no expert and just tossing out random conspiracy theories...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well done sir.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Have you driven a recent M3? That rush as the needle passes 7000 and keeps on swinging is one of the most intoxicating and satisfying feelings you can get while driving. The car is an absolute monster, incredibly responsive, and the noise is just epic. Monday mornings suck. A visit to 8200 rpm on the highway ramp definitely drives the Monday blues away and puts me in a good mood. The M3 has been defined by great motors for the last couple of generations. You have to work it to extract the maximum. Man and machine together. And it's a very gratifying feeling.
    Trying to explain the appeal of a high revving motor with the power up top and a flat curve to people these days who just want to tune for some more ponies with more boost is lost on them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

So I talked to my buddy today and he has seen two new F80 M3's going up the San Marcus Pass in the last week. Perfect testing grounds!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    off topic, but to me it's an important one.

are they removing those unacceptably ugly headlight sections that flow into the kidneys?

Click here to enlarge

unfortunately, if they did decide to honor my wish, I still wouldn't buy one because all you have is a cookie cutter, shrunk 5 series, which is just a cookie cutter, shrunk 7 series. it's pitiful.

back in the good old days, you could actually tell the sedans apart.

an e46 doesn't look like an e39 which doesn't look like an e38. there was a surplus or differentiating exterior designs which is now completely gone and replaced with a vague (albeit decent looking) set of cookie cutter tail lights, head lights and side profiles.

I had the opportunity to drive a loaner '13 328xi with premium, sport, cold weather and nav packages optioned, along with an automatic tranny. drove it for almost 2 hours on pretty much every condition possible so I feel I got a pretty good sense of daily drivability and personality of the car. needless to say, I got back in my slow, rattle infested, 13 year old, sport 330ci with a stick and forgot everything of the f30. I have, and perhaps never will have, any desire whatsoever to purchase anything past an e90, and even that's kind of a stretch compared to the e46.

somewhere between swooping lines, sound deadening and electric power steering, BMW forgot what made them famous; giving consumers "The Ultimate Driving Machine". so until they debut something raw and inspired by past cars, they will forever march on in my mind as "The Ultimate Riding Machine".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Lights just seem to be covered.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

The e46 and e39 have similar design language btw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So disappointed in reading about the 7k redline. This really does piss me off. I can understand a 7 or 7200 rpm redline for a V8 but it seems like moving forward with technology and customer satisfaction would truly involve a high revving FI motor. What differentiates this from a 335? Ok, it pulls to redline, OK it has less lag and is more responsive. Take our NA motors but at least simulate one of the best experiences that made them so great. The McLaren pulled it off, and BMW, in its past has always pulled off mainstream "super car like" motors. Seems like they are continuing to sell out for profit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

It's been said before but I've read these exact complaints about every m3 generation.... "V8? No way!" "The straight six is what defines the m3! BMW is getting lazy and throwing a v8 in there! "

Seriously it's hilarious.....this next m will be great and everyone on this thread will want one.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Have you driven a recent M3? That rush as the needle passes 7000 and keeps on swinging is one of the most intoxicating and satisfying feelings you can get while driving.
    Yes I have driven the e92 M3, the F10 M5, the X5M and X6M. The e92 M3 engine is not impressive at all, but its handling is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes I have driven the e92 M3, the F10 M5, the X5M and X6M. The e92 M3 engine is not impressive at all, but its handling is.
    it just needs more power

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The e92 M3 engine is not impressive at all, but its handling is.
    Really? I think the S65 is one of the best engines ever made. You have a 4 liter V8 that pulls to over 8000 rpm with an absolute beauty of a torque curve. Insanely responsive and pulls like a maniac up top. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    It's been said before but I've read these exact complaints about every m3 generation.... "V8? No way!" "The straight six is what defines the m3! BMW is getting lazy and throwing a v8 in there! "

Seriously it's hilarious.....this next m will be great and everyone on this thread will want one.
    I clearly remember the "zomg a V8 in a M3? Blashpemous!" talk. You may be on to something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Looks to be same interior as this pic. 7k redline. Same DCT knob and steering wheel.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...ed1080p5-1.jpg
    With a turbo car it's most likely around 7K redline. Interesting how they DON'T have the typical M Gauge cluster installed at the moment (the lack of red needles and ///M badges).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
    What differentiates this from a 335?
    More boost. Water/air IC. M brakes, wheels, body work. That's it, not as special as it once was.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

The e92 M3 engine is not impressive at all
    8400 rpm 100 hp per liter V8's aren't impressive eh?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The M3 would be faster than all except the M5 - specifically, why didn't you like the S65? Specifically.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

did anyone else take a close look at the rear muffler and see maybe a bypass valve on the outer most pipe and how the outer most pipe doesn't appear to join the muffler body? just something new to discuss other then redline ......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VCMPower Click here to enlarge
    did anyone else take a close look at the rear muffler and see maybe a bypass valve on the outer most pipe and how the outer most pipe doesn't appear to join the muffler body? just something new to discuss other then redline ......
    Heh, this has been discussed in the thread Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oops hehe
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Heh, this has been discussed in the thread Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast